Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 17:57   #1

Greek Odyssey

I am and Old Australian who is just about to qualify for the Age Pension. My living and boating needs are about as basic as you could get. Cheap and nasty is fine provided it floats. A dream would be to have a slow and small old timber boat to live on and cruise the Greek Islands for 3 months every year which would be the Max I am allowed to stay. I would need to park it somewhere for the balance of the time. My capital is very limited so doing everything on a Budget is important. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 21-08-2013, 18:32   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Greek Odyssey

Hi,

I can only say go for it. You should have zero problem finding an inexpensive wooden boat (much as wooden boats come in all shapes and conditions). If you leave her in the water, look for VERY protected harbour - Greece does get hell of a weather in the winter.

Our friends sometimes haul out their boats there in crazy places - like the way a boat can be hauled out on a truck behind the tractor. Seen it in NZ but apparently Greeks do so too.

If you are budget limited I think it is best to make one full cruise and collect as many quotes as you can. Then look thru the options and go for the best.

Remember you will want to get to and from the boat too, so your storage cost will be somehow related to how easy it is to get to and from your storage spot to the airport!

All the best,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 18:04   #3

Re: Greek Odyssey

Many thanks. Any ideas on where it could be left in the water and the options to do so. Cheers