Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2013, 14:30   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Has The Cruisers Forum Sold Out?

I appreciate the need to make a buck as much as the next guy, but money is no way my "God". Westerners and in particular Americans seem to think that anything and everything is for sale. The older I have become the less tolerance I have of the endless stream of advertising crap that I am constantly bombarded with and have done everything in my power to avoid looking at some company trying to sell me their useless garbage. Don't own a television, never look at a newspaper and generally can't stand to go out in public and to view all the lemmings that are controlled by the endless stream of mindless advertising.

To that end I have been involved with the Cruisers Forum since 2005 and is it me or has the level of advertisement associated here increased significantly? Last evening to my great displeasure I find that there are no ads within peoples individual posts.

So would love to hear from my fellow members regarding their feelings as it relates to the amount and type of ads on CF and if it has diminished your enjoyment of the forum as it has in my case?
Old 30-12-2013, 14:35   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Has The Cruisers Forum Sold Out ???

I have no problems with the ads (I don't really even notice them for the most part) and think you should take a breath. After all you get to use the site for NOTHING, yet it cost someone something to produce and manage.

I was tempted to write something else, but was feeling nicer than normal (must be time for a beer).
Old 30-12-2013, 14:46   #3

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Has The Cruisers Forum Sold Out ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I appreciate the need to make a buck as much as the next guy, but money is no way my "God". Westerners and in particular Americans seem to think that anything and everything is for sale. The older I have become the less tolerance I have of the endless stream of advertising crap that I am constantly bombarded with and have done everything in my power to avoid looking at some company trying to sell me their useless garbage. Don't own a television, never look at a newspaper and generally can't stand to go out in public and to view all the lemmings that are controlled by the endless stream of mindless advertising.

To that end I have been involved with the Cruisers Forum since 2005 and is it me or has the level of advertisement associated here increased significantly? Last evening to my great displeasure I find that there are no ads within peoples individual posts.

So would love to hear from my fellow members regarding their feelings as it relates to the amount and type of ads on CF and if it has diminished your enjoyment of the forum as it has in my case?
I installed add block plus, it eliminates the ads in most websites, which when I use another browser without adb, oh my goodness, the ads here are awful.
Old 30-12-2013, 14:48   #4

Boat: Slocum 43
Re: Has The Cruisers Forum Sold Out?

Yeah.. The equipment is free and money grows on trees.
Old 30-12-2013, 14:49   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
........... Last evening to my great displeasure I find that there are no ads within peoples individual posts.
I am also pleased that there are no ads within individual posts. Is this what you meant to type or is this all "tongue in cheek"? Like everyone else I see that banner of ads across the top, but I don't take note of it. "oops" for the thought of the advertisers I should say that it's compelling and provocative and causes me to buy all kinds of stuff that I would otherwise have no interset. Seriously, did you want to point out that there are no ads within the posts. ...and yes, isn't that the case? Are there ads between the posts that I have not noticed?
Old 30-12-2013, 14:52   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Perhaps he meant to type " there are now ads". But I do not see any.

Coops.
Old 30-12-2013, 14:53   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

I have adblocker running - and all I get are banner ads in the usual places (and which I rarely notice).........viewing as a Guest is another matter entirely!!
Old 30-12-2013, 14:54   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just install an ad blocker like Ghostery. I don't see any of the ads, and best of all, it blocks all the snoopers and data scrapers that are on this site, and most others these days.
Old 30-12-2013, 14:56   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

You only need to become a CruisersForum Supporter (for a mere 15 $ per annum), and this will enable You to switch off the ads, covering in the same moments some costs of running this site. Very fair trade, I dare to tell.

What about next, really cold, beer Sailorboy1 ? ? ?

Old 30-12-2013, 15:01   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The adds slow my box down to where I can't stand it & shut it off. I can't think of a single time I have ever bought from one. Usually, they lead into massively worse sites that grind things to a halt. I am suspicious of every one of them and trust them only to compromise my security (and credit cards).
Old 30-12-2013, 15:08   #11

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
The adds slow my box down to where I can't stand it & shut it off. I can't think of a single time I have ever bought from one. Usually, they lead into massively worse sites that grind things to a halt. I am suspicious of every one of them and trust them only to compromise my security (and credit cards).
Seriously, 'Adblocker', like everyone has been saying. It works like a charm, if I didn't see this thread I wouldn't have known there were ads in threads
Old 30-12-2013, 15:11   #12

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I am also pleased that there are no ads within individual posts. Is this what you meant to type or is this all "tongue in cheek"? Like everyone else I see that banner of ads across the top, but I don't take note of it. "oops" for the thoght of the advertisers I should say that it's compelling and provocative and causes me to buy all kinds of stuff that I would otherwise have no interset. Seriously, did you want to point out that there are no ads within the posts. ...and yes, isn't that the case? Are there ads between the posts that I have not noticed?
This was a typo I meant to say that last evening there were adverts within individual posts.
Old 30-12-2013, 15:31   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Mine is trying desperately to get me to buy cracker-barrel cheese spread. I suppose it pairs well with Ripple.

I think the add block people are working with the add people. The advertisers get a kickback for every copy of add blocker sold. I always thought the anti-virus software people were responsible for writing the viruses.
Old 30-12-2013, 15:34   #14

If you're a member, and somehow log in as a guest (or, better put, don't log in, so are viewing as a guest) the number of ads is, indeed, um, distracting.

Happy New Year, everyone.
Old 30-12-2013, 15:35   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:

No
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum