Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2020, 11:09   #16

Boat: PDQ 44i
Re: Hello, and a USCG question

You can only claim a "day" of sea time if you were under way at least 4 hours. "Under way" means not anchored, moored or aground. It does not mean "making way."

You can submit "days" in a canoe, a rowboat, or a sailboat with no engine if you want. Let the USCG decide how many such days they are willing to apply to your requirement. They will probably allow all of the days in a sailboat, and probably some in the canoe; it's up to them.

If you own the boat, you need to document ownership and sign for your own days. Otherwise, send your sea service form, along with a letter of explanation, to the boat's owner, their heir or assign for signature. The owner or manager of a boat charter company should sign for your days on a charter boat.

The above worked fine for me.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 13:23   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSonoma View Post
You mention tons of time with a sheet in your hand. Remember only time on a sailboat with auxiliary count towards sea time. To self certify you must show proof of registration or documentation for the vessel.
I get that, so the question is if it was say tender to another boat, could I use it, or no papers no go?
DirtyPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 15:11   #18

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPigeon View Post
I get that, so the question is if it was say tender to another boat, could I use it, or no papers no go?
You spent four hours or more in a tender between boats? There was a recent thread on CF about documenting sea time. You could look at that. Anyone can write down anything, but if it doesn't pass the sniff test or if you get licensed and don't know what you're doing, then it might not help you in the long run.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 16:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
You spent four hours or more in a tender between boats? There was a recent thread on CF about documenting sea time. You could look at that. Anyone can write down anything, but if it doesn't pass the sniff test or if you get licensed and don't know what you're doing, then it might not help you in the long run.
I’d say I probably could do better than most of the charter and delivery guys I have met, but that’s not setting the bar very high

As a kid I probably went out in that little sloop every day to every other day, I actually enjoy sailing, so spending time sailing isn’t pulling teeth for me, I lived on the water and the boat was tied up to our swim step. Up until recently I never had any thoughts of getting a USCG license, otherwise we would have just registered that boat and I would have kept better records. My thoughts on the tender classification would be for paperwork, it was a small sailboat I spent a ton of time on, it is not the end of the world, but having a good deal of experience not count because of paperwork just bothers me.

As for my other time, I can easily track down enough for the 6 pack, it’s just a matter of all the calls and whatnot to get some of the other documents of some of the boats I sailed on, OPB, other peoples boats lol, so maybe I’ll just keep better track, get my masters in a few years and do the 6 pack now. Seems silly being I have more than enough time on the water though
Old 23-08-2020, 16:13   #20

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Are you aware that with the CG license there also comes the aspect of the situations that may arise that you will become liable for in the event of a mishap even when you are aboard someone else's vessel? In conjunction with the license it is a good idea to have a personal liability insurance police that will cover you in the maritime environment. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 16:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
Are you aware that with the CG license there also comes the aspect of the situations that may arise that you will become liable for in the event of a mishap even when you are aboard someone else's vessel? In conjunction with the license it is a good idea to have a personal liability insurance police that will cover you in the maritime environment. JMHO
I would expect nothing less.

As the person in command of said vessel the buck stops with you.
Old 24-08-2020, 02:58   #22

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

The liability for a mishap can occur even if you are not the vessel captain. The following is an example my understanding of the liability exposure: you are a passenger or crew member on a friends boat and they cause an accident involving damage to another boat, if the damaged party should go to court for compensation, as a CG licensed Captain, you would have to prove that you took appropriate action to attempt to prevent the accident. Otherwise you will share the burden of liability.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 05:56   #23

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Personal liability insurance ? It’s not a magic force field shield. Maybe you will get an insurance company attorney who is certified in admiralty to sit by your side and ask the right questions. Judges will often side with the attorneys who have the better credentials. Juries just listen to the story and use common sense. Very few will have an understanding of maritime law. A lot have no idea about boating at all. A lot has to do with how they identify with you or not.
The best insurance you can have is your record as a professional Mariner, your experience. Stay out of trouble. Insurance companies are for profit corporations.
I sat with my dad, (Admiralty and Insurance) a watched some very interesting cases. Some look like USCG hearings...everybody is wrong and should be punished because there is never a forgivable collision.
I’m “insured personally “ can lead to the “my boat is insured” so I don’t give a hoot kind of thinking. Insurance companies won’t pay for your car if you smash it up when drunk. I have a lot of time and money invested in my credentials. If you have a spotless record, any competent maritime attorney will defend you well and hire experts to assist. If you feel better by feeding the agents of fear and death, go for it.
Mark, just a manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 08:51   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
The liability for a mishap can occur even if you are not the vessel captain. The following is an example my understanding of the liability exposure: you are a passenger or crew member on a friends boat and they cause an accident involving damage to another boat, if the damaged party should go to court for compensation, as a CG licensed Captain, you would have to prove that you took appropriate action to attempt to prevent the accident. Otherwise you will share the burden of liability.
I understand how kangaroo administrative law is.

That said if I’m aboard as a passenger, unless the coast guard gives me written authorization to take control of any vessel I am on, I’m not hijacking a friends boat to some avoid gel coat damage.

I’m currently not a USCG license holder, but I will say if I had some people out on my boat and someone tried to take control of it, it would turn out poorly.