Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 15:11   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Help no hull ID number

IF STATE REGISTERED THE HIN SHOULD BE ON THE REGISTRATION OR TITLE PAPERWORK.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 16:38   #17

Ok, first of all I want to thank everyone that has responded to this string. I can tell that you are all being truly sincere and really trying to help.

I'll give an update. The closing agent said that she received the attached Beneteau document from the seller. The engine SN on the Beneteau document does match the SN stamped on the engine.

Also she said that the boat is registered in the BVI and she is getting the release from the BVI, and the boat has the BVI registration numbers (but no HIN shown). A Canadian owner is also in the chain of ownership and the closing agent is contacting Canadian Authorities to see if they recorded HIN with their documentation.

The beat goes on...again, thanks so much for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beneteau.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	189666  
SailRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 14:15   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dave-
"IF STATE REGISTERED THE HIN SHOULD BE ON THE REGISTRATION OR TITLE PAPERWORK."
Yeah, well...nice concept. While trying to modify a registration in NYS (changing one of the owners and correcting the engine fuel type) we found the DMV in their infinite wisdom said "No problem. But your HIN is missing one number, you'll have to bring in a tracing or a photograph of the correct HIN."
Uh, yeah...the HIN was valid for 25 years and suddenly wasn't good enough? To simply RENEW the registration?
I'll just say that the NYS DMV apparently hadn't heard of PhotoShop...what they got kept them happy. And proved that state-level records and papers, especially from a state motor vehicles agency, are not the last word in titling.

Similarly, the document "from Beneteau" would take no time to knock off on a laser printer, with the HIN of your choice or other information changed on it. Who knows where that paper actually came from? This is why USCG documentation is colorful with a thermal sensitive color changing ink, something most scoundrels won't have at hand.

Rex-
Best of luck with it. For $29.95 you can get a letter/number punch set online, and put a HIN on the transom to keep everyone happy.(G) I wonder, is there any "international stolen boat registry", i.e. at Interpol or somewhere, that you could run the HIN against just to eliminate the obvious?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 14:43   #19

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRex View Post
Ok, first of all I want to thank everyone that has responded to this string. I can tell that you are all being truly sincere and really trying to help.

I'll give an update. The closing agent said that she received the attached Beneteau document from the seller. The engine SN on the Beneteau document does match the SN stamped on the engine.

Also she said that the boat is registered in the BVI and she is getting the release from the BVI, and the boat has the BVI registration numbers (but no HIN shown). A Canadian owner is also in the chain of ownership and the closing agent is contacting Canadian Authorities to see if they recorded HIN with their documentation.

The beat goes on...again, thanks so much for all your help.
A buyer that is both prudent and knowledgeable will insist on a chain of original bills of sale and finding the original HIN inscription, which should have been photographed in the earlier surveys. If the current ownership is through a company then a prudent owner should do some DD on the company. I know from experience that the Registers do not check that the signatures are from someone with authority to sign.

Also be aware that the recent hurricanes have created opportunity to combine "papers without boats" arising from hurricane damage with stolen "boats without papers". See the recent missing Oceanis 44 (not 41!) reported in TTOL:
44’ Beneteau Oceanis missing from North Sound - TravelTalkOnline

What I say below does not change knowing that the engine numbers are OK. The engine salvaged from a damaged boat can be combined with a "boat without papers".

All this goes away if you are going in with your eyes open of course.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, hull ID number