Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2018, 11:21   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: How do deal with fisherman blocking channels?

I’ve run into more than a few of these situations; recreational fishers sitting right in the middle of narrow buoyed channels, essentially blocking the way for even modest sized boats like mine. I even came upon one blocking the fairway in a narrow marina .

Most fishers will get out of the way ahead of time, but the ones that stick in my mind are those that seem to play some sort of chicken with you. They wait till the very last second before moving over. So be it… in these cases, I’m bigger than they .

But I usually pass a kind word, and ask how their luck has been. Most are friendly. But some will give you the stink-eye for simply wanting to use the channel.
Old 28-01-2018, 11:49   #17

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I winter on the Columbia River. When salmon are running most fishermen won't get out of the way even for ships for fear of loosing their spot. The fisherman can almost make a bridge of boats. Side by side across the channel. It takes the Coast Guard or sheriffs boat to move them. I've been told some won't move unless threatened with arrest. During those times there are near constant 5 blast signals.
My suggestion is call the Coast Guard. If blocking fishermen get told to move often enough they'll find another place.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 12:04   #18

I thought this had already been sorted out on the other thread...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...en-196255.html

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 12:49   #19

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
How do you deal with fisherman who block channels, especially in places like bridges where there is a tight passage?

In Massachusetts the law is pretty vague, it just says that it is illegal to "operate any vessel in such a way that it will interfere unnecessarily with the safe navigation of other vessels."

So, what do you do when some jerk fisherman is idling under a bridge and blocking your passage?
I agree with all the OP's who recommend courtesy as a first resort. As a former commercial captain in Boston Harbor I also understand the approach of establishing your position by taking out a few fishing lines. As a general rule I assume that recreational boaters don't know the Colregs and also don't comprehend the mass, momentum and maneuverablitly constraints of larger vessels. Given that assumption, standing off and giving a short blast of the horn usually works wonders. If you're not on a commercial schedule give the guy a break and time to clear your passage. If he's less cooperative then a slow, looming presence bearing down on his vessel usually gets the job done. Whatever option you choose remember to Smile Big. To the clueless they will think you're a nice guy. To the jerk face it's a pleasant way to tweak his nose as you pass.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 15:29   #20

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I have a very efficient hailer mounted at the spreaders. I also have a very professional patter and can tell folks to “go to hell” and they look forward to the trip.

“ Attention attention! Fishing boat under the bridge (or anchored in the navigation channel) you are a hazard to navigation and are putting yourself at risk. Please clear the channel immediately this is not a request. Be aware the next vessel may not be able to slow or to see you. Please check the local and state regulations relative to your location. Have a nice day. “
Old 28-01-2018, 15:53   #21
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
“ Attention attention! Fishing boat under the bridge (or anchored in the navigation channel) you are a hazard to navigation and are putting yourself at risk. Please clear the channel immediately this is not a request. Be aware the next vessel may not be able to slow or to see you. Please check the local and state regulations relative to your location. Have a nice day. “
Damn, I wish I would have thought of that.

Coming down the ICW in Florida sometime after December 15th, we were approaching a timed bascule bridge. The bridge was kind enough to delay it's opening by a few minutes so that we'd "make it". We can only motor at about 6 knots and as we're approaching the bridge, there's a fishing boat, not fishing, but cruising the ICW with family, right in front of us. He stopped to look around and take pictures. The captain is at the helm and I'm at the bow cussing this guy out saying hey, hey, hey, please move over. We had to slow to a crawl and the bridge is still open waiting for us. He got real pissy and made snide comments about sailing boats wanting to go slow and what's hurry? I tried pointing to the bridge and trying to explain why, but he just kept yelling. OMG, just shoot me. He had NO clue.

Saw him again, a couple of bridges later where there was a line of boats waiting for the bridge to open. When the bridge started to open, there he was, crossing in front, meandering by the bridge. I'll be honest, I really wanted to shoot the guy. Probably a good thing I don't have a gun.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 15:57   #22

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We are skippering 30 to 55 foot sailing vessels and 40 to 65 foot motor vessels. We do not go under any bridges in our home port, but we have non commercial fishing boats in the channel, and we just take it easy. Mainly check the side of the boat their lines are on, and if possible take them on the other side away from the lines.

About 300 yards or more, prior to leaving the channel for the open sea, fisherman are crowded onto a dock, at a bend in the channel. We cannot see them until we go around that bend. We know that they will be there, we think ahead and we move out and away from their fishing dock, and they drop the ends of their fishing poles and lines down into the water. We wave and they wave back. Speed limit 5 mph max and no wake. we can pull some power off if under power , as well.

main problems occur at the channel entrances at most of the harbors in southern california due to the lobster pot fishermen. They lay out their cages, directly in the approach paths so the channel entrance , down fairly deep, but their line and their floats are on the surface. Slow and great care not to wrap a line on a keel, rudder or prop is the name of that game. No fishermen around. Night time and darkness, add to the problem.

And, yes , we post a bow watch, and take it slow and controlled.

Out in the ocean, between mainland and catalina island, we give a lot of room behind the trawlers and seiners. At night their decks are all lit up big time, so we just tack, or change course depending on the wind, and in a few minutes clear their stern and resume our original course. In daylight, we have plenty of time to make a course to stand clear of their nets and lines.

In Ireland on the Shannon River, there would often come across a couple of fishermen hunched over in a dorry, and we would slow down, no wake, and quietly motor past , giving them plenty of room. They would signal a thank you and we would wave back.

As to bridges, and a boat fishing. We would take alot into consideration, wind, drift, current, side of the boat their lines are on, how much room avialable to safely go slow with steerage, be friendly, and give a wave and and a greeting and let them know our intentions. And if it is obvious that the current is going to allow them to clear the passage under the bridge, we can stand off for a bit until they clear. If they are anchored and obstructing the passage of boats they then need to fish in another area. But, we can be pleasant and explain the situation.

Most of our bridges in newport bay, are posted no fishing from the bridge as well. We have never seen people fishing from boats under the bridges. So life goes along smooth and easy.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 16:43   #23

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Nani and island Hopper, as to the motor vessel roaring over the stern of the fishing vessel. Amazing, I had not seen this video before.

Plenty of room for the motor vessel to pass safely, no other traffic, wide river, slow down , reduce the wake, etc, but it seem evident that no one was on watch,or at the helm of the motor vessel. That is totally unacceptable and should be fine or imprisonment. The motor vessel could have killed three people. Full power, auto pilot and no one at the helm or on watch, or anywhere that i could see.

it is in the regs to keep watch.... and operate a vessel safely. None of that was going on.
==============================================

Sort of the same thing, we were sailing an Ericson 35, under sail, light air in newport harbor. Returning to our docks after a nice day sail at sea. We saw a very large and very expensive sailing vessel over taking us. The guests in the cockpit, were watching him and getting concerned.

i told the folks on board that we had the right of way, we are under sail and being over taken, and he should change course to go around us, and we were stand on.

Speed 5 mph and no wake is the reg here. Light air, we were making about 4 mph. Sunday busy, hundreds of boats in the harbor.

Nope, he just keeps coming, I have no room to starboard due to docks and slips full of boats, to port , in is a narrow section of the harbor and oncoming vessels to my port side. As well as the Balboa ferry crossing a few yards ahead. No place for us to escape. None.

His bow pulpit is now over my stern and I am up on our stern pulpit trying to fend him off....well, he was about 70 feet LOA, with about 20 people strewn all over their decks. I wound up pushing our vessel way from him, and he passed by close on our starboard side. Inches away.

I looked at the skipper as he passed by at about 8 to 10kts, well the older well attired fellow at the helm, blue blazer, and ascot tie, and captains hat, and a blonde young thing snugged up against him.

My aloha meter was at zero, I knew the boat from seeing it slipped at the Balboa Bay Club.....I told him, SKIPPER IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING GET SOME ONE AT THE HELM WHO DOES. AND GET A BOW WATCH UP THERE. Well, his nose is elevated and he gives me one of those limp wrist wave offs. Big Bucks in Newport .

I reported it to the harbor dept, made a written report, and they told me that I did not have a stern watch. Well, we did, and we saw him coming. As usual, Nothing was done about it, but. I never again saw that vessel back underway in our bay. It stayed at their docks at the Bay Club for several more years. Probably reverted to slip sailing.

We often witnessed motor vessels returning from Catalina, no one on watch or at the helm. Same for the catamarans in the BVI, Sails raised, engines ahead full, no one at the helm and about six to eight people on board partying.

So, when I saw this video, no kind thoughts for the motor vessel.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 17:06   #24

Boat: Beneteau 461 46 feet

I have done a lot of sailing in the last 70+ years and I still can't understand why, with all of the ocean and shorelines, fishermen have to fish in the channel. Do the fish know they should be going in and out in the channel and not along side of it? Another more dangerous situation is lobster pots in the channel. Think about tangling one in your prop at night. While you are diving to free your prop you will probably get run over by the high speed cigarette boat coming in after a day drinking and partying. I think the Coast Guard should stop this.
Glen Ballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 04:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Most recreational fishermen know the rules of the road...
Really!?! Around here I would guess that it is less than one out of five who know the rules of the road. Heck! I'd bet that a third of them don't even know that there ARE rules of the road!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 07:28   #26

Just drive.

Maintain course and speed so your intentions are clear. Short toot if needed.

They move if puttering. If they are anchored, try to miss them.

Just like any crowded area: the bigger you are, the straighter you drive (anyone else experienced draw bridge openings in Florida?).
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 07:36   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 42

We fairly frequently encounter recreational fishermen/women drifting in narrow channels (and once in while lame-brains anchored) where our maneuverability is restricted. Sometimes--particularly at Boca Grande pass--they area as thick flies on a pasture paddy especially during Tarpon fishing season. We have found that our best approach to the situation is to slow as much as possible while still maintaining maneuvering speed and to make our intentions to pass through the mass quite clear with five short blasts of our air horn aimed at the offenders. Generally they'll move out of the way without protest and we pass through wishing them good fishing.

Thus far the foregoing has worked for us...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 07:41   #28

Boat: S2 9.1

The finish of or Wednesday night races at the very bottom of Lake Huron is between a channel marker and the onshore Race Shack.
During the early summer there can be up to 20 small fishing boats all drifting right on the finish line.

We have about 55 sailboats that need to cross the finish line. The predominate wind is from the NE, that means we are all finishing under spinnaker. Some times the maneuvering here requires very skillful seamanship!
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 07:53   #29

First I slow down. I will stop if necessary. Most of the time, they will move. If they don't move, I look closely. If they have a fish on or are hauling in gear I let them finish. If they're not hauling gear or fish and they still don't move, then I give 5 horn blasts (Intentions unknown/unclear).

I've never had to go beyond that, they always moved after that.

If they still didn't move, I would be hailing authorities to advice them of the situation, then creep up to them and ask them not to block the channel. Again, I've never had to. Usually 5 blasts 'wakes them up' and they realize they're being inconsiderate.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 08:11   #30

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Long Blast of the horn and in you loudest voice through the bull horn yell "RAMMING SPEED" and watch what happens ! <sarcasm>
You bump or splash someone and get sued?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, Fisher