Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2018, 08:17   #31

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: How do deal with fisherman blocking channels?

The worst ones are those that anchor in a navigation channel and string out long lines from the back of their boat. Plus, they don’t run AIS or apparently listen to their vhf since they are blasting music. This happens a lot in Miami area around inlets. Being anchored they can’t pick up fast and they expect us to somehow sail around them in a thin channel. A commercial vessel has legal rights in this regard but recreational do not. They are under obligation to not anchor in a navigable channel. The majority of time we can steer around them but if we are pinching we can’t go higher with the risk of potential collision and if we fall off we risk running over their lines. If they don’t see us, a quick toot of the horn usual gets their attention.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 08:43   #32

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post

Of course the other option is to mount a blaster-ray-gun on your foredeck.
I recommend the Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 09:07   #33

NevisDog, you don’t need a blaster-ray-Gun; a sonic cannon will do quite nicely.
Old 29-01-2018, 09:59   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Really!?! Around here I would guess that it is less than one out of five who know the rules of the road. Heck! I'd bet that a third of them don't even know that there ARE rules of the road!
I would say most don’t know, but many don’t care. It’s the latter that seem to think they have some deity-given right to cast their line anywhere, and the heck with anyone else.

My approach has always been to stick to the market channel, to maintain course and minimal speed, and give them the five bells if need be. As I say, we are bigger (and a lot heavier) than most of these fishing boats. Most do move without much prompting. The others eventually get the message and get out of the way.
Old 29-01-2018, 10:16   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I winter on the Columbia River. When salmon are running most fishermen won't get out of the way even for ships for fear of loosing their spot. The fisherman can almost make a bridge of boats. Side by side across the channel. It takes the Coast Guard or sheriffs boat to move them. I've been told some won't move unless threatened with arrest. During those times there are near constant 5 blast signals.
My suggestion is call the Coast Guard. If blocking fishermen get told to move often enough they'll find another place.
Yes, The "hog lines" of fishermen on the Columbia are an amazing sight. Row after row of 15 to 20 boats all in a line. Sometimes over 100 boats in the PDX area. When they venture in the the channel the CG or Sheriff will be along. The local Sheriff patrol has their dock right in the middle (almost) between the I5 and I205 bridges.

Anchor lines up stream, fishing lines down stream and not much space to go between.

I've been known to thread the needle right between them....
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 10:50   #36

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post

Of course the other option is to mount a blaster-ray-gun on your foredeck.
I have one of those large water balloon slingshots and piston type squirt guns aboard. I didn't have fisherman in mind, but a sailor has to be resourceful. You can even use different ammo depending on how annoying they are.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 12:12   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wait. Rules of the road? You can go fishing from the road? But not deer hunting?
Who'd have known?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 14:39   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
I have one of those large water balloon slingshots and piston type squirt guns aboard. I didn't have fisherman in mind, but a sailor has to be resourceful. You can even use different ammo depending on how annoying they are.

I have honestly contemplated a paint ball gun for those big power boats that won’t slow down, but figure I’d go to jail, so I haven’t.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 14:45   #39

[QUOTE=Zugbug99;2564687]

I can't imagine a fisherman who would not motor out of the way to clear the channel.

Zugbug, perhaps you haven't spent much time along the New England coast. I can go beyond imagining such a thing, I've personally witnessed it. Sadly, the least respectful in my experience are the lobstermen. Very high incidence of illegal substance abuse among them and not uncommonly, unreasonable pugilistic attitudes are the result.

Just my experience.
Sojurnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 15:18   #40

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojurnr View Post
... Very high incidence of illegal substance abuse among them and not uncommonly, unreasonable pugilistic attitudes are the result.
Darn, paintball guns and water balloon catapults just aren't going to cut it with those guys. After calling the coastguard, I'd be heading for a more friendly cruising ground. HongKong is starting to look good in comparison.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 15:53   #41

Boat: Carter offshore 35

The question I like to ask is how is the fisherman going to deal with me as long as I'm the stand on vessel. I feel for you up there in Mass. I had one Salem lobster man speed up so he could pass right in front of me trying to force me to alter course when I didn't and he realized if I cut him in half he had more to lose he sped up even more. Only place I've had trouble with fishermen was in Mass.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, Fisher