Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2014, 15:38   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: How much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
I am talking about from a cell phone. Does that work for cell? Making it more difficult is that I use a US cell phone outside the US.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ah, if you are using a USA based cell that may complicate matters. I would chat w your carrier about the correct dial prefix to use.

It does work fine with all CA cell carriers I've used (Panama: Digicel & +Movil, Guate: TIGO, Honduras: TIGO, Belize: Digicel).

Skype can be used to dial them too (used to wonder why in the world anyone would run Skype on a smart phone...sure has come in handy since I got one...now I know).

Is your phone unlocked or dual SIM?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 15:54   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Discussing on an open Forum how much Cash a live aboard should carry and where to keep it makes as much security sense as divulging where you hide your gun.

Keep your own counsel on this and be aware that people have been murdered for less than $200 in their pockets
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 16:04   #33

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

What denominations do you carry cash in? Mostly 20s and other small bills? Just wondering if there's ever the classic Boston cabbie move in the Caribbean: "Sorry, I don't have change!"

Similarly, is it relatively easy to get small bills in the islands? Or should you bring it with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 16:25   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
What denominations do you carry cash in? Mostly 20s and other small bills? Just wondering if there's ever the classic Boston cabbie move in the Caribbean: "Sorry, I don't have change!"
All the time, even with local currency in a busy shop!

Small bills are good. I usually keep mostly small bills handy and tuck a few larger ones in another pocket in a way that I can just slide one out in case I need it without flashing the whole roll. Then the small bills from the change go into my wallet w the other small bills. I just spent a frustrating day running errands doing just that.

DOH! Now I've done it! I've revealed my secret and I'm gonna get robbed by a CF member! ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote