Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2020, 09:43   #1

How to get into Australia?

Greetigns, I'm looking to join my friends yacht in Australia. I was wondering if anyone has been able to join a yacht there recently and if so how can i go about it? From what i read i would need a seaman's book which i don't have, have a couple years at sea, but no book unfortunately. Any help or advice would be so much appreciated.
Nico Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 10:13   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: How to get into Australia?

I remember that investing X amount of AUD dollars used to give you immediate business visa in the past.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 17:22   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard CF, Nico.
If you gave us some more detail, someone may be able to help better.
For instance, are you wanting to come to Australia as a short time visitor or as a permanent resident?
What is your nationality?
What country do you wish to leave from?

As an example, if you have been resident in NZ for the past 14 days and wish to enter NSW as a tourist, just get a tourist visa (if applicable to your nationality) and jump on a plane.

If your friends yacht is in NSW and they aren't Aussies, you should be able to join as crew and depart with them.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 17:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Don't believe nobody is getting into OZ that isn't a citizen, Uber rich or traveling from NZ. And you can't get into NZ.

The seaman's exclusive would be for rotating crew to join a cargo ship not a yacht. Maybe sometime later next year or have him sail up to French Polynesia. Closed place I'm aware of and a bit of a sail and getting to be wrong time of year!
Old 17-10-2020, 18:01   #5

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Edwards View Post
Greetigns, I'm looking to join my friends yacht in Australia. I was wondering if anyone has been able to join a yacht there recently and if so how can i go about it?
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/coming-australia
Old 18-10-2020, 09:47   #6

Thanks for the reply's. I'm a US citizen trying to depart from Los Angeles, to join an Aussie yacht in Sydney, but its not looking super hopeful. This is for a couple months till the ship is ready to sail, then we head out. As this is a private yacht its not looking like I can get a seafarers book for it though, think that was recently changed to only commercial ships.
Nico Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 11:00   #7

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

This is what happens when you let someone have their own island. The first thing they do is start calling it a continent and after awhile they decide to not let anyone else in.

Right now Fiji is about as close as you're going to get - it's a long swim! No way the Aussies are going to let you hang out for a couple of months even if you could get there,
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 13:24   #8

Boat: Viking, 9.4m,

The short answer is; you don't. Your friends should know the rules in play at present. NZ citizens have recently been able to come to some parts of Australia, but NOT visitors to NZ. Forget the 2 weeks in NZ claim. I suspect US citizens, coming from the worst affected and least controlled Covid country, will be a long way down the list of eligible arrivals in future.
Old 18-10-2020, 13:41   #9

You can't get in it's bad enough that we can't get out ��������
Old 18-10-2020, 14:23   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The rules I read seem to suggest anyone in NZ that can get a visa for Australia can visit NSW and NT from New Zealand. I did not look any further as we will be be in that situation for 6-7 months, but the prospect does look attactive if available.
Old 18-10-2020, 15:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Nankervis View Post
The short answer is; you don't. Your friends should know the rules in play at present. NZ citizens have recently been able to come to some parts of Australia, but NOT visitors to NZ. Forget the 2 weeks in NZ claim. I suspect US citizens, coming from the worst affected and least controlled Covid country, will be a long way down the list of eligible arrivals in future.
You might be correct however the information available from the relevant government department suggests you are incorrect.

From https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/n...fe-travel-zone

From Friday, 16 October 2020, you can travel from New Zealand to Australia, quarantine-free, if:
you have been in New Zealand for 14 days or more and not been in a designated hotspot, and
you are travelling to Australia on a quarantine-free flight.
You do not need to be a New Zealand citizen to travel to Australia quarantine-free if you meet the above criteria, but you will need a valid visa to enter Australia.

If you have better information, please provide it as it will be helpful to all of us.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 18-10-2020, 15:43   #12

There is currently a kerfuffle re planes flying into Aus from NZ.
The first one is that, as explained by others is that you just can't get into NZ in the first place. Secondly, after arrival in Sydney by plane you MAY not be able (at present!) to go interstate. That may change. You need to check out the playing field and get formal written advice at the time you wish to travel.
You could find yourself locked up (essentially) in quarantine, in a hotel, at your own expense and then shipped out!
For what it is worth, the NZ election result would indicate that the total close down of the country to manage Covid has been a roaring success with the Kiwis.
Anyone from the US or Europe is probably wasting their time trying to get here at the moment.(Unless you have buckets of political influence and mucho $$'s. Even then you would be pilloried by the locals.)
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 01:02   #13

Boat: Viking, 9.4m,

No, As I understand it, there are no outside tourists in NZ. (as so many to this page have complained). As probably the most successful country in the world to contain the Corona virus, I'm sure Kiwis would like to keep it that way. As NZ is almost the most corruption free country in the world (Transparency International; NZ No. 1/100, Australia; No. 13/100, USA, No 23/100)), I doubt brown paper bags will do the trick. But while Kiwis don't need a visa to enter Australia, anyone with a non NZ passport would find themselves, not only in quarantine (at their expense), but on the next plane out (at the airline's expense for bringing them in). Given the sacrifices Australians have made to contain the virus, I doubt any interlopers will be welcome. especially if it is just to go sailing with their friends - who ought to know better.
Old 19-10-2020, 01:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
For what it is worth, the NZ election result would indicate that the total close down of the country to manage Covid has been a roaring success with the Kiwis.
Amazing that

Reminds me of a quote from a movie

SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 01:26   #15

Let's try this one more time.

Max says
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Nankervis View Post
........... But while Kiwis don't need a visa to enter Australia, anyone with a non NZ passport would find themselves, not only in quarantine (at their expense), but on the next plane out (at the airline's expense for bringing them in). .........
Australian Commonwealth Government says
Quote:
......From Friday, 16 October 2020, you can travel from New Zealand to Australia, quarantine-free, if:
you have been in New Zealand for 14 days or more and not been in a designated hotspot, and
you are travelling to Australia on a quarantine-free flight.
You do not need to be a New Zealand citizen to travel to Australia quarantine-free if you meet the above criteria, but you will need a valid visa to enter Australia.
From https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/n...fe-travel-zone

Only one of them can be correct. I'll let the readers decide who!

I'm sure there are permanent residents living in NZ who have other passports (i.e. not NZ ones) and we know there are people entering NZ (essential workers/ business etc) although not as tourists.

Tags
Australia