Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54   #46

Re: How to warn some other boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
Boaters who would need to be warned of a danger that they should have known about by using their charts, are not going to understand any of the boating regular systems of signals, and as someone previously stated, will only be a distraction if they happen to spot or hear you. Sometimes all you can do is be ready to assist, watch and pass the popcorn.
For most part it is true, either ignorance or lack of experience, but sometime just confusion or bad judgement ... things are happening a bit quicker when you go 20-30 knots. Here is a report from 2010 from that spot:

In July 2010 a large cruiser traveling downstream ran hard aground upstream of the large buoy. Seems he didn't see the small buoy in the chop/rain, and mistook the large buoy for the one marking the west end of the shoal. Result - he hit the shoal in his attempt to clear it. ... It took a couple of days and two tug boats to get that boat from the shoal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformer View Post
and you are suppose to hoist/signal those flags in the country where "cruisers" do not have to have even basic licence/certificate of competency and they are suppose to "read" this ...
Two things came to my mind ...

Flag signals are a nice traditional way of communication between masted ships but not really practical means in today's reality. Pleasure power boats do not have masts nor human resources to effectively signal using code flags, are not required to carry the code flags, and the speed of signaling using code flags is far too slow to be effective among motorized vessels. There is still place for it ... just not for rapid, urgent signaling.

What "country" are you referring to? USA and Canada are federations and boating regulations responsibility is split between federal and state (USA) or provincial (CAN) governments. The federal agencies, like CG, regulate waters and boats for most part, the state and provincial agencies regulate boaters (residents and visitors) in those states and provinces for most part. Both, New York State and Ontario Province where I boat, require boaters to complete the boating safety course and exam before they are licensed to operate a motorized vessel or PWC. Just FYI ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 13:35   #47
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Leaving the basic letter flag tables and indulging in a bit of thread drift, how about a fun set of flags built on traditional naval signal codes?

"Splice the Mainbrace" is an order given aboard vessels to issue the crew with drink. Originally an order for one of the most difficult repair jobs aboard a ship, it became a euphemism for celebratory drinking afterward...and then the name of the order to grant an extra ration of drink. On a Man-O-War, the mainbrace was the heaviest of all the rigging -- The mainbrace on HMS Victory was 13cm diameter -- and gunners commonly aimed for the mainbrace during naval battles. If the mainbrace was shot away, the ship was un-maneuverable. The mainbrace ran through blocks so it could not be repaired with a short splice or a knot. Splicing in a large run of hemp was strenuous work so the crew involved were rewarded with drink. Eventually the order "Splice the Mainbrace" came to mean that all the crew would receive an extra ration of rum, and the order was issued on special occasions, e.g. after victory in battle, a new monarch, a royal birth or wedding, or an inspection of the fleet. Where the order was for the whole fleet, it would be signaled with flags...

Click image for larger version

Name:	splice the mainbrace & yards.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	56502

Check it out (and add a bit of fun to your signal flags!) at Splice The Mainbrace Flags, Floating Impressions

Back to the thread...and we'll pretend for the moment that our flags are a warning that the bar is open!?!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:18   #48

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I was answering Mark's post.

On military and a number of other ships the Third Repeater hoisted by itself is used to signify that the master is away from the ship. This is also why it is nicknamed the "party flag".
Explains why my third repeater flag has uv damage. I should have known. Me Sheila suggested we need a new third repeater flag and I was impressed. Damn
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:54   #49

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformer View Post
why bother, just bring popcorn, coke and enjoy yourself...

Personally, I want to know what happened to Temporary Insanity I and, if there were survivors was the next boat Temporary Insanity III?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:16   #50

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

What would Jack Aubry do?

I think when signals were not acknowledged he would fire a leeward gun. Or even a windward gun.

This being almost a gun thread now........
Old 11-03-2013, 07:23   #51

Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:36   #52
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to supply the correct answer. 51 posts... not bad.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:44   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to warn some other boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to supply the correct answer. 51 posts... not bad.
So the odds of anyone knowing WTF are 50/1.. on a good day..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:47   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So the odds of anyone knowing WTF are 50/1.. on a good day..
Perhaps it's time for us to fly the Uniform flag 24/7.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:01   #55

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Red face Re: How to warn some other boat?

Quote:
For a significant number of boaters, especially powerboaters, everything they learned about boating came from their experience driving a car. They will have no idea that nautical whistle signals amount to anything other than what a taxi driver means when he honks his horn.

Best bet would probably be a hail on VHF 16.

I was once passed by a 50'ish ChrisCraft Connie that was towing his tender upside down. I tried to raise him on the radio, and when that didn't work, gave a blast on the whistle. He circled back around, flipped me off, and then powered into the sunset, the tender still upside down.
Did'nt you know that there are a few boats around who actually prefer to tow the tender upside down. Thats why you got the finger?

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:30   #56

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Some people you just can't help.

Entering Tsehum (Sidney) Hbr - me on bridge of 80 ft grey training boat, he on 30-something saily thingy going the wrong side of port hand marker, over well-charted reef. I yell a warning to him; got the reply "Don't worry, I do it all the time."

Transitting Torres Strait - me on bridge of 400 ft greyhound of death, "he" on even bigger, even greyer ship of someone else's navy, going north-side of south cardinal buoy. Sent warning over secure radio (so as to not embarrass anyone) and got the response "Don't worry, I do it all the time."
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31   #57

Quote:
Perhaps it's time for us to fly the Uniform flag 24/7.
I am getting this poster for my cabin ...

Hey, it's a good "motivational" poster with a pragmatic message.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Sent warning over secure radio (so as to not embarrass anyone) and got the response "Don't worry, I do it all the time."
Is there a code flag for this?
He should fly one so other do not waste time ...
Old 11-03-2013, 10:17   #59

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
In post 42 I gave boththe Flag (Uniform) and the horn signal dot dot dash.

So no excuse. If you don't have a mast to fly flags, yo probably have a fog horn - the real problem is few understand the signals -but that is another issue

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:50   #60
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Richard-
" Both, New York State and Ontario Province where I boat, require boaters to complete the boating safety course and exam before they are licensed to"
Yeah yeah, nice theory. Have taken the classes and there's no mention of flag signals. If a boater doesn't know that five short blasts means "DANGER! Drop your socks and get your head out of the boat!" what can you say, get the camera out and enjoy selling the rest to Fox.

NYS also requires a road test before issuing a drivers license. I will always remember my first driver safety discount course, where someone said his cousin passed the road test by putting $200 in twenties on the front seat and not saying a thing. The examiner pocketed the money and passed him. Then someone else said Where?! I had to leave $300...And the class instructor nodded and admitted this was old hat.

So much for licensing and training, huh?

Just remember, every time you stop someone from getting a Darwin Award at sea, you're starving the crabs. Crabs got a right to eat too!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote