Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 20:28   #1

Question ID This Buoy: Fl R 2.5s 8ft "2"

So it's flashing red at 2.5 seconds, and has a "2" on it. It's a light, stamped into the mud on a pole I imagine.

The 8ft... is that height over mean high tide?

Studying for oupv.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 20:43   #2

Okay, one more. These are two lights mounted on a (Zuniga) jetty when entering San Diego harbor. They're on your starboard side, outside the channel.

Fl 2.5s 28ft 6M Horn Z : I'm guessing flashing white 2.5s, 28 feet above mean high tide, with a horn, daytime you can spot the Z.

Next further to leeward:

Fl 4s 18ft 5M Y : Marked with a Y, flashing white 4s, 18 feet above mean high tide.

On both: The "M" is mileage the light is visible, as in 6 (then 5) nautical miles?
Old 06-09-2010, 21:24   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Okay, one more. These are two lights mounted on a (Zuniga) jetty when entering San Diego harbor. They're on your starboard side, outside the channel.

Fl 2.5s 28ft 6M Horn Z : I'm guessing flashing white 2.5s, 28 feet above mean high tide, with a horn, daytime you can spot the Z.

Next further to leeward:

Fl 4s 18ft 5M Y : Marked with a Y, flashing white 4s, 18 feet above mean high tide.

On both: The "M" is mileage the light is visible, as in 6 (then 5) nautical miles?
You're doing fine with most of those except the last letters. If the light were marked with a letter or number it would be in quotes.

Y probably means yellow, it's the only meaning I could find in Chart 1.

The Z is harder. It follows the horn so I would expect it to be something about the horn. It might be that the horn blows morse code Z but I would expect the Z to be in parentheses.

Luck with the test.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 21:37   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Something I've found is that the older Chart 1's (1984, 8th ed. is what I got) have a much better index of abbreviations than the newer ones. If you come across one cheap, pick it up.
Old 06-09-2010, 21:40   #5

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I'd venture a guess to say that the 8 ft. high is a buoy...So it's always 8 ft high...unless it's leaning over in a current.

The Marks on the jetty should be height above chart datum ..the M is the visible range to the horizon. To which you would add your height of eye ( off the water ) to the horizon to get the total visible range. So you will see the light at a greater distance due to your height of eye (dipping the light)

I'm guessing that these lights act as sort of a range...to show how the jetty lays out when it's submerged at high tide. The higher light, being the rear end as you approach from seaward?
In this case...it's not a range that you follow in...but one that you leave alongside....... so you line them up..on your approach..obtain a course from the bearing....and then steer that course..as you enter the channel..
but leaving the lights to one side..

I don't know why they're marked with letters..but the Y Z thing makes me think that it's a 2 mark range..... Yankee, Zulu

Or Z for Zuniga ?

but I'm an east coast guy...I'm sure there's a left coaster who will weigh in
with the facts..
Old 06-09-2010, 21:41   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
The Z is harder. It follows the horn so I would expect it to be something about the horn. It might be that the horn blows morse code Z but I would expect the Z to be in parentheses.
If that were so I would expect it to be marked MO(Z). I think it must be a visible marking.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:08   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
On UK Admiralty charts, the height of light is normally the height of the focal plane of the light above the chart height datum, normally Mean High Water Springs.
Here is a link to Chart 5011, our equivilent of US Chart 1
http://www.ukho.gov.uk/Defence/AWNIS/Documents/5011.pdf
nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If that were so I would expect it to be marked MO(Z).
More or less what I said, I just missed the MO.
Old 07-09-2010, 13:15   #9

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
The Z on the chart is in parens, "Z" , so it is the written identifier on the mark. The magenta teardrop indicates that it is a lit mark, not a lit buoy which has a magenta circle.

I can't find it right now, but it won't be a range light (leading light), because I believe they always have iso or occluded or quick flashing as the lights.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:44   #10

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
So, I pulled up the chart 18772. Z and Y are not a range..they are 2 of 5 lights that mark the zuniga jetty. Z, Y, X, W, V

The visibility of all the lights are listed as 6M , though, Z is higher than the other lights. So is it a different intensity lamp?? No color is given for the lights but I looked it up and it's white. Z has a horn that sounds 1 blast every 10 seconds.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:28   #11

The visibility for Y-V on my chart lists as 5M with 6M for Z.

Either way I'm feeling good because this was a tricky one! In some of my studying last night I came across "the height of objects is referenced from MHW (mean high water)".