Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2024, 22:14   #1

Boat: 1984 Catalina 30 trbsfk M-25
Importing Canadian Recreational Yacht into US

The plan is to pick up a 40 foot power yacht in Montreal and motor it back via the Seaway/Lake Ontario/Oswego Canal for personal use in NY State.

Questions:
Has anyone Imported their own boat from Canada?
The Customs Form 5106 and EPA Form 3520-21 (she is exempt from EPA engine emissions due to the year of manufacture) will be provided to Customs.

What other information or forms are needed?
kloebereng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Importing Canadian Recreational Yacht into US

Was the motoryacht Ccnadian built [NAFTA duty-free]?
CBP Information Center website at help.cbp.gov
https://help.cbp.gov/s/?language=en_US
From USA ➥ 877-CBP-5511
From outside US ➥ +1-202-325-8000

I expect you may want to use a Customs Broker, who can be excellent sources of detailed/specific information.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 05:42   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Also, if you are keeping it in New York you will eventually need to make sure the sales tax is paid on the vessel, even if you have it documented with the US Coast Guard. You will also need the bill of sale, title, etc. Not sure what is required to de-register from Canada.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:11   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloebereng View Post
The plan is to pick up a 40 foot power yacht in Montreal and motor it back via the Seaway/Lake Ontario/Oswego Canal for personal use in NY State.
Don't know what your ultimate destination is but you can also go a short distance down the St Lawrence to Sorel and take the canals there to Lake Champlain and Albany. Would be cheaper and more scenic.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Was the motoryacht Ccnadian built [NAFTA duty-free]?
CBP Information Center website at help.cbp.gov
https://help.cbp.gov/s/?language=en_US
From USA ➥ 877-CBP-5511
From outside US ➥ +1-202-325-8000

I expect you may want to use a Customs Broker, who can be excellent sources of detailed/specific information.
The amount of duty isn't the issue, but assume duty will be due.
It’s the paperwork and amount of hassle involved.

I've heard “I did it and it was a snap” to you “really need a customs broker” So I'm looking for someone here who has done it.

Opinions welcome but only if they are based on actual experience one way or the other!
Old 02-04-2024, 09:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Also, if you are keeping it in New York you will eventually need to make sure the sales tax is paid on the vessel, even if you have it documented with the US Coast Guard. You will also need the bill of sale, title, etc. Not sure what is required to de-register from Canada.

Yes I've owned 4 boats in NY. One documented.
The question is about IMPORTATION not State reg and Documentation.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:52   #7

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

We are WA state residents. We bought our first sailboat in Canada. We used a customs broker to get us through the paperwork - registered in WA and not US documented.

Paid the import tax ahead of time to the broker which was sent onto CBP. Our only interaction with CBP was keeping them informed of our schedule for arrival at the US dock we had arranged to enter on so the correct officer could meet us. Evidently, at least at the time in 2010, only specific officers were allowed to process a vessel import. The officer met us at the dock and the whole process took @ 45 minutes.

We have spoken to other officers and they all agreed that one of the keys to a smooth CBP interaction is keeping them informed of timing of arrival so they don’t leave the office and are kept waiting for the boat in ports where CBP staff arenot present all the time.

Hope this helps
Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:35   #8

I met with a broker last weekend regarding a vessel in Vancouver. He said the seller would deliver it to an American port where I would take possession (Port Roberts) in order to avoid having to pay 12.5% Canadian taxes.

Check into this.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 14:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
I met with a broker last weekend regarding a vessel in Vancouver. He said the seller would deliver it to an American port where I would take possession (Port Roberts) in order to avoid having to pay 12.5% Canadian taxes.

Check into this.
Interesting. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2024, 14:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
We are WA state residents. We bought our first sailboat in Canada. We used a customs broker to get us through the paperwork - registered in WA and not US documented.

Paid the import tax ahead of time to the broker which was sent onto CBP. Our only interaction with CBP was keeping them informed of our schedule for arrival at the US dock we had arranged to enter on so the correct officer could meet us. Evidently, at least at the time in 2010, only specific officers were allowed to process a vessel import. The officer met us at the dock and the whole process took @ 45 minutes.

We have spoken to other officers and they all agreed that one of the keys to a smooth CBP interaction is keeping them informed of timing of arrival so they don’t leave the office and are kept waiting for the boat in ports where CBP staff arenot present all the time.

Hope this helps
Ron
Very helpful Ron

Do you recall the name of the customs broker?
Old 03-04-2024, 01:20   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloebereng View Post
I've heard “I did it and it was a snap” to you “really need a customs broker” So I'm looking for someone here who has done it.
Opinions welcome but only if they are based on actual experience one way or the other!
I did it, 24 years ago; and it was a snap, once I got a customs broker. You really do need a customs broker, whose fee was inconsequential.
YMMV.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, yacht