Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 09:10   #316

Re: Impounded boats in Mexico

So why is local newspaper called "gringo"? Some of you are way to liberal and sensitive
All of this has nothing to do with TIP's of course
Bazzer the Limey. Also a Gringo here in Mexico
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 09:30   #317
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
lol offensive as N word?

from midsection usa i expect that reaction.
mebbe relocation to cali could lessen the pain ... is what we are known as.... lol... this from a gringa en mexico....
they dont add the descriptor PINCHE when you speak spanish...but you still be white boy in their eyes.
as for requiring cpt license..only time will tell towards which category of cruiser they address. may just still be megas and to an loa requirement...we will only know when we are advised.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 09:37   #318
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I agree that 'gringo' is a term that is used in many hispanic countries in a way that is not necessarily intended to be derogatory. Last year on Isla Margarita my father-in-law and I were being driven by a friend with his three year old daughter. She said to her father in Spanish, "I love the old Gringo" in reference to my father-in-law. In many areas a white, non-hispanic will always be viewed as a 'gringo'.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 09:59   #319
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
oops was duplicate
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 10:07   #320

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Having spent a number of years south of the border cruising and living aboard, the term 'Gringo' has a contextual meaning depending on how and where it is used. It can be almost an endearing term in some cases or can be a very derogatory term if the speaker chooses to use it that way. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 10:47   #321

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Having spent a number of years south of the border cruising and living aboard, the term 'Gringo' has a contextual meaning depending on how and where it is used. It can be almost an endearing term in some cases or can be a very derogatory term if the speaker chooses to use it that way. Phil
We sometimes forget that slang even within the same language doesn't always mean the same. There are many dialects and cultures of Spanish speakers. Words can take on very different meanings or just slightly different.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 11:25   #322

And if you want to hear the "N" word just walk around Oakland for a while. Chances are you won't get shot either. As a matter of fact in the middle of Oakland is one of the best fish n chip shops in the USA. H Salt and Son...
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 13:01   #323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

As I have said before about other terms and names, it depends on who says it, to whom and in what tone IE it ain't what you say, it's how you say it.

I have plenty of friends and acquaintances all over Latin America and I would say it is very uncommon for the word gringo to be considered extremely rude unless it is spoken in a way that makes it so. In fact, when doing my best to carry on a conversation in my limited Spanish I usually have to apologize for my poor grammar and tell the group "lo siento porque hablo mal espanol como un gringo" which generally gets a laugh and assurance that they've heard a lot worse.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 13:04   #324
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
And if you want to hear the "N" word just walk around Oakland for a while. Chances are you won't get shot either. As a matter of fact in the middle of Oakland is one of the best fish n chip shops in the USA. H Salt and Son...

Yeah, right. My favorite Oaktown fish sammitch USED to be at the Black Muslim Bakery on San Pablo, till the Feds raided the place and found all the machine guns and explosives they were keeping in the back, after the Panthers who ran the joint assassinated that well known journalist with an AK in a downtown parking lot because he wrote an article about them....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 20:44   #325

Boat: Hylas 47
Wasn't an AK. Was a Mossberg shotgun.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 18-02-2014, 11:36   #326

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john540 View Post
Wasn't an AK. Was a Mossberg shotgun.
It is always an AK (or AR).

Or Bush.
Old 18-02-2014, 12:03   #327

So, how about those "Impounded boats in Mexico"
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 18-02-2014, 12:12   #328

We have been considering a possible boat purchase in San Carlos but have been concerned about the subject of this thread. Purchasing a U S documented boat in Mexico may not be legal. An Attorney has informed me yesterday that it is not legal to purchase a US documented boat that is in Mexico on a Mexico Temporary Import Permit (MTIP). The boat must clear out of Meixco surrendering its MTIP and proceed to the US. After the closing, then the boat may return to Mexico with outwards zarp from US to clear into mexico and get a new MTIP in new owners name. It is not legal to just clear out of Mexico to 13 miles offshore and then return to Mexico because you must have zarp or outwards from another country to enter Mexico. IT IS NOT LEGAL TO JUST TRANSFER A MTIP TO A NEW OWNER. I have been informed that many yacht brokers are not doing it the correct way and selling boats in Mexico risking SEIZURE! And, yes, a sticker is required to be some where on the boat. The Attorney is Chris Wenthur of Wenthur Law in California. BUYER BEWARE!
U W Frog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 18-02-2014, 12:13   #329

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've just returned from two weeks outside internet range, and I'm inferring from the above discussion that there is no news. Has no one heard of any progress with releasing the yachts?

Thanks,

Ann

P.S: Just went over to Latitude 38, where it is written that 146 vessels have been released; and 162 to go. Glad to hear it's happening. We have friends about to go to San Carlos to re-join their boat.
Old 18-02-2014, 12:46   #330

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U W Frog View Post
We have been considering a possible boat purchase in San Carlos but have been concerned about the subject of this thread. Purchasing a U S documented boat in Mexico may not be legal. An Attorney has informed me yesterday that it is not legal to purchase a US documented boat that is in Mexico on a Mexico Temporary Import Permit (MTIP). The boat must clear out of Meixco surrendering its MTIP and proceed to the US. After the closing, then the boat may return to Mexico with outwards zarp from US to clear into mexico and get a new MTIP in new owners name. It is not legal to just clear out of Mexico to 13 miles offshore and then return to Mexico because you must have zarp or outwards from another country to enter Mexico. IT IS NOT LEGAL TO JUST TRANSFER A MTIP TO A NEW OWNER. I have been informed that many yacht brokers are not doing it the correct way and selling boats in Mexico risking SEIZURE! And, yes, a sticker is required to be some where on the boat. The Attorney is Chris Wenthur of Wenthur Law in California. BUYER BEWARE!
Man!...Talk about doom and gloom. It takes about 1 hour after clearing in to get a TIP. Most boats from the San Carlos area, go a whole 300 miles south to reach offshore waters, confirm it with a GPS and have someone take care of the paperwork. I know people are doing things different than that and I'm not saying what. But I can say the Mexican government doesn't seem to care.

By the way...here is the latest info on the impounded boats in Mexico...
http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...7#.UwPU5s75BEM
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
Mexico