Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2021, 17:47   #1

Insurance for an older boat (1969 Bristol with outboard)

Hi gang.
I have a chance to get a 1969 Bristol 27 sailboat in good condition. There are two problems. One all of the large companies will not give me coverage for a boat that old. If that were not enough. Two, I live in Up State N Y and have a mooring in my old stamping ground, Allen's Harbor in North Kingstown, R I. For some reason that is a problem. So far Boat Us and Gico and Hagerty have said NO. Any help would be appreciate.
Along with that. Now many years going forward would I be able to insure such a boat. Thank you
115jcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 17:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Insurance for an older boat (1969 Bristol with outboard)

Are you trying to buy more than just liability? In my experience, basic liability, such as many boatyards and marinas require, is easy to get and cheap, and I've never been asked for a survey.
If you want more coverage, why? A boat that old is hardly worth insuring.
Old 27-03-2021, 18:07   #3

Yes Basic liability nothing more. Do you think it might me MY age I am 72 ?
115jcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 03:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115jcurtis View Post
Yes Basic liability nothing more. Do you think it might me MY age I am 72 ?
I wish I could peek into the dark minds of insurance companies and know why they make decisions. I've never been asked my age when buying boat/business insurance.
I hope not getting insurance won't be a deal-breaker, it would be a shame to not own a boat simply because Geico doesn't share the dream.
Old 28-03-2021, 08:37   #5

Quote: "Yes Basic liability nothing more. Do you think it might me MY age I am 72 ?"

Acknowledging that the Canadian insurance market differs from the American one — no, I can't believe it's your age. I am ten years your senior, and I have no trouble getting coverage including hull coverage. TP is half a century old, but her survey is, of course, up to date.

No doubt you have had homeowner's or tenant's insurance as well as car insurance for many years. Therefore your first approach should be through the agent that has handled your insurance over the years, and who knows you and your claims record. If you have a good record on the liability coverage of your dwelling and on your car, there should be no difficulty getting liability coverage on your boat.

Hull coverage is a little different and the underwriter might want to see some documentary evidence of competence, and may put restrictions on where you can take the boat. There again, your usual agent can guide you far better than any of usi this forum

You may be getting a cold shoulder because you don't yet own the boat, and the underwriter may read into that that you have no sailing experience. He may consider, mistakenly, that 72 is a little late to learn. Your application should be accompanied by a comprehensive curriculum vitae of your sailing activities including those that involve crewing on other people's boats.

Remember that you are not going to the underwriter cap in hand begging for protection. You are OFFERING the underwriter a SOUND BUSINESS PROPOSITION!

All the best,

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 08:44   #6

Well, I always stated that I am self insured ! Big advantage : insurer, broker and the insured party have same adress,phone nr. and bank account, leading to fast and productive meetings and claim settlings. And also : very complete coverage with no exemptions, including war, revolutions and fall of asteroids in the middle of the cockpit. But the worldwide insurance dictatorship network won't allow you this anymore nowadays, isn't it ?

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 09:19   #7

Boat: Bristol 29

AMICA insured my Bristol 27, older than yours, with no problem. They now insure my 29, again older than yours.
CaptainGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 10:04   #8

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

I am in my 70's also, not a problem. If you have car or home insurance ask them about liability. It's easier to deal with a company or agent that already is doing business with you. I have used both AAA and progressive.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 10:26   #9

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGrey View Post
AMICA insured my Bristol 27, older than yours, with no problem. They now insure my 29, again older than yours.
+1
I use Amica as well, it's a Rhode Island based company. My boat is a 1979. No problem. I started by going to my Home and Auto insurer, they wouldn't touch a boat that old either. So some of those relationships are worth much.
This is a very nice company.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 10:52   #10

Boat: Leopard 45

I got dumped by Boats USA because my 1985 Hunter 34 was "too old" and was able to get a policy with Progressive even without a survey. the cost of the was even $150 less than the Boat US policy
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 12:22   #11

Boat: CAL-2 30'

I have full coverage through Boat US on my 1969 CAL 2-30 and I am almost 70.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, insurance, outboard