Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 08:46   #91

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Is it easier to be Married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think that being legally married proves you are committed to the other person. Not getting married legally but pretending to be otherwise shows that you are frightened of a genuine commitment. It is much easier to walk away when you are not legally married, which is the whole reason for not getting married. Contracts are meaningless if they are not legally binding.
David, in case I was too subtle, the offensive part of your comment is when you blatantly impose your beliefs on others -- people you barely know. Just b/c you require an external legal contract to prove to yourself, and to others, that you are not afraid of a "genuine commitment", this in no way applies to me, and I suspect to most others like me.

You can believe whatever you want. You can expound on your own beliefs, and you can even say you believe that it shows I am frightened. But when you say "it shows", you've crossed a line of civil discourse which I thought was beneath you.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:23   #92

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Well spoken. In my experience, marriage makes for better boat partnerships, as well.
Perhaps, but it can often make for NO BOAT!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32   #93

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
I think that being legally married proves you are committed to the other person. Not getting married legally but pretending to be otherwise shows that you are frightened of a genuine commitment. It is much easier to walk away when you are not legally married, which is the whole reason for not getting married. Contracts are meaningless if they are not legally binding.
Some of you may recall the extensive, years-long survey that was conducted a decade or so ago which concluded that married men actually live longer than men who are not married. Only a few years ago, however, new research determined that the methodology employed in the survey was actually flawed. Turns out that men don't actually live longer -- it just SEEMS longer!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55   #94

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Being there for someone without the legal implications shows genuine commitment.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07   #95

Marriage and funerals are much the same they both mean the end of someones life as they know it. LOL
Sea Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:40   #96

Thats too funny, like the old comic who says he and his wife are happily married, she's happy, I'm married!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 14:23   #97

Some thoughts from Bill Burr:
Bill Burr on marriage - YouTube
Old 04-03-2013, 17:50   #98
CLOD

Boat: none

no surprise based on postings that some can not have a happy marriage!
Old 04-03-2013, 18:36   #99

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...and...there are those who sing..."If you're down and confused...and can't remember, who you're talking to...and if you can't be, with the one you love, honey...love the one you're with"...by Stills, Nash and Young. <Going to behave now> Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:38   #100

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

What an entertaining thread!! Having been married a few times, and all were good in their own way, the motivation is usually two sided in my experience. I was delighted to have my current wife/spouse/partner say yes. It was an affirmation that I had a few good years left in me and she wanted to share them together for a week, a month, or years. So far, so good. Fifteen years and counting, heaps of miles under our keel, great friends still as well as lovers. When we found that we could live out of the same suitcase for months at a time, we said why not, so tied the knot. It wasn't for personal gain, security or many of the popular reasons... it was for love.
To each his/her own. I must admit we did find traveling the world a little easier being hitched but wouldn't recommend it as the reason to get married.
As far as what happens after I'm gone, who cares? Not me that's for sure. It's the ride that counts, not the destination... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:41   #101

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

It's not the ride...it's the earthquakes that count! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 19:19   #102

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

My partner and I agreed at the beginning of our current relationship that we would only stay together as long as we both wanted to be together.

Marriage would become an impediment to the very basis of our relationship - an ongoing affirmation that we want to be with one another, even after 10 years.

Knowing that the other has no impediment to leave, yet continues to stay even through some difficult episodes, is a far more powerful IMHO than a one time marriage proposal or acceptance.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 19:22   #103

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I think the original question is akin to asking "Is it easier to travel with your boat's title" or "Is it easier to travel with additional identification"

Most of the time, it will not be any easier or different. That's not why you bring those things. You bring them for the rare circumstance where they will make things easier.

Of course, you don't NEED to bring them ... by there may come a day when you wish you had.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:38   #104

I lived with my 2nd wife for 12 years then we got married and things went down hill. 6 years later she left.
Sea Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote