Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 18:30   #1

Is it safe to go between red and green buoys.

The chart says it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-03-07 (1).jpg
Views:	359
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	254126  
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 19:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Is it safe to go between red and green buoys.

Of course it's not always safe. You frequently see markers for more than one channel at the same time. And if you are on the "wrong side" of either buoy,, you are asking for trouble.

Since that is IALA Region B and heading North is "returning", you need to keep the red on the right OR the green on the left when heading north and the red on the left OR the green on the right when heading south.

This one probably makes it clearer - don't try to go between the red and green in the centre of the image!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rg.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	254127  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 20:05   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Always liked this one:

Seaforth Channel (North Up)

Name:	SmartSelect_20220307-200308_OpenCPN.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	254128

The yellow-black cardinal buoy ONCE added a little confusion (my 1st time through) to an otherwise straightforward decision. From a distance, the buoy was clear, but not its colour (I just saw 3 buoys). Stay south....
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 20:41   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Of course it's not always safe. You frequently see markers for more than one channel at the same time. And if you are on the "wrong side" of either buoy,, you are asking for trouble.

Since that is IALA Region B and heading North is "returning", you need to keep the red on the right OR the green on the left when heading north and the red on the left OR the green on the right when heading south.

This one probably makes it clearer - don't try to go between the red and green in the centre of the image!
There's a place similar to this on the ICW in Georgia that I scraped bottom on because I couldn't identify which channel the markers were for. In my defense it was dawn and we'd just come in from mechanical failure on the ocean.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:42   #5

Boat: Tartan 40

This is the return to my home marina on Chesapeake. Amazing how often (power) boats motor in between the markers to go up river. Most don’t even know what they’ve done probably as there is 2-4 feet on the sandbar.
Once I had a nonboater guest at the helm on my prior sailboat and was inattentive down below- my fault- and he threaded the needle. An impressive soft grounding ensued.

But careful attention to day mark colors by anyone who has rudimentary navigation knowledge is all that is needed “red right returning”

Name:	IMG_1646746810.953849.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	254138
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:31   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Yup. That's why you need a chart. I could probably post a dozen places I've seen people go on the wrong side of a buoy, because from a certain angle of approach it "looked right."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:37   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Theree's a set on the entrance to Destin Florida that has an obstruction half way between them.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:41   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It’s called lack of situational awareness. When a chart(plotter) isn’t available, navigation requires to use all aids that are available, not just a single one like markers.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:17   #9

On the flip side, there is a channel marker in my home bay that anything up to 7' draft can safely ignore and go inside by many hundreds of yards, something I've been doing for years with my catamaran. One day there's a guy in a little whaler anchored near the channel marker and when he sees me coming he starts yelling to the point of becoming apoplectic that I'm an idiot and that I'm going to run aground and then moved into a diatribe about people with more money than sense. I smiled and waved and in a calm voice let him know this was only the 150th time I'd safely passed over this point with 4' of water under the keels and perhaps he could worry about his navigation and I'd worry about mine.

He was still cussing away at my stupidity well after I obviously safely cleared the area he was sure I was going to go aground on, clearly not even a demonstration was enough to convince him.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:43   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
On the flip side, there is a channel marker in my home bay that anything up to 7' draft can safely ignore and go inside by many hundreds of yards, something I've been doing for years with my catamaran. One day there's a guy in a little whaler anchored near the channel marker and when he sees me coming he starts yelling to the point of becoming apoplectic that I'm an idiot and that I'm going to run aground and then moved into a diatribe about people with more money than sense. I smiled and waved and in a calm voice let him know this was only the 150th time I'd safely passed over this point with 4' of water under the keels and perhaps he could worry about his navigation and I'd worry about mine.

He was still cussing away at my stupidity well after I obviously safely cleared the area he was sure I was going to go aground on, clearly not even a demonstration was enough to convince him.
On the flip side of that, there's a Channel Marker across from Watt's Island in the Chesapeake Bay that on one side is an 80' channel and on the other is a depth of about 2' during low tide.

If you then go a little North then East (then back SE) is the shallow channel to where my boat was when I found it at a Boatyard back in there. You can only get in there with a 4' draft near high tide. (Deep Creek Boatyard and Marina)

Watts Island: Chart 12225 -- Chesapeake Bay, Wolf Trap to Smith Point
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
On the flip side of that, there's a Channel Marker across from Watt's Island in the Chesapeake Bay that on one side is an 80' channel and on the other is a depth of about 2' during low tide.

If you then go a little North then East (then back SE) is the shallow channel to where my boat was when I found it at a Boatyard back in there. You can only get in there with a 4' draft near high tide. (Deep Creek Boatyard and Marina)

Watts Island: Chart 12225 -- Chesapeake Bay, Wolf Trap to Smith Point
I know that one and like you said, I would definitely not try to cut outside there!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:13   #12

Boat: Norseman 447

When I was in SF a long time ago, the northern entrance to South Beach Marina was awful. The breakwater paralleled the shore. At the N end was a green light. The corresponding red light was to the N, ashore on a pier. From offshore, the "path" between the two was right over the end of the breakwater.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote