Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2018, 15:00   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft
Keeping a boat out of state

My state (Massachusetts) says that you cannot have a boat in the state for more than 60 days unless you register and title it in Massachusetts.

If I have another boat which I use in New Hampshire and want to have it in Massachusetts for 3 months, what do I do? Can I just drive it out of Mass waters on day 60, then drive it back?

What happens if you keep the boat there for longer than 60 days? How would they even know?

How do foreign boaters deal with this? If somebody comes from Europe and want to park their boat in Boston for 3 months, what do they do?
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 15:56   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Keeping a boat out of state

It's Massachusetts. Get used to taxes.

One boat has nothing to do with the other. Your first sentence applies to both if in that state. there is nothing wrong with minimizing your tax liability but paying silly games to avoid responsibility is something neither the Commonwealth or we appreciate as it affects all of us.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 16:03   #3

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It's Massachusetts. Get used to taxes.

One boat has nothing to do with the other. Your first sentence applies to both if in that state. there is nothing wrong with minimizing your tax liability but paying silly games to avoid responsibility is something neither the Commonwealth or we appreciate as it affects all of us.
Its not a matter of money. I don't want to register the boat in Massachusetts if its primary place of berthing is New Hampshire.

You didn't answer any of my questions.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 16:46   #4

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
Its not a matter of money. I don't want to register the boat in Massachusetts if its primary place of berthing is New Hampshire.

You didn't answer any of my questions.
I checked your states registration requirements. It seems you can use your NH registered boat in Massachusetts up to 60 days. Your question can you just leave for a day and then comeback? The State website does not state how long you have to be out of Massachusetts. I am sure they have a time period. You could call the Registration Bureau at (617) 626-1610.

Best of Luck!
Old 13-04-2018, 16:51   #5

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!

How do foreign boaters deal with this? If somebody comes from Europe and want to park their boat in Boston for 3 months, what do they do?[/QUOTE]

They obtain a license or user fee. Usually good for a year but thinking there are seasonal ones as well. After their time is up thy have to leave for a period before obtaining a new one. I believe this will vary from each State. Believe in WA state it is 14 days but I have also heard 30 days so not sure.
Old 14-04-2018, 08:43   #6

Wink Re: Keeping a boat out of state

Reminds me when I was going to college in Michigan in the "60's".
My home was in Massachusetts. Both states had the same law. At that time, I was driving a little Austin Heely Sprite.

I got licenses in both states and displayed one above the other, both front and back. Cops stopped me once and asked me what was going on. I told them it was their law and I never got stopped again.

I've never seen a boat with two numbers on the bow, but...................................
defensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 08:58   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I would guess the state would be no wiser if you stayed 90 days. I'd bet they just want to levy a tax on people dodging taxes on an ongoing basis. Like the people living in one state but registering their car in another with lower taxes. I think the comment about you attempting to evade taxes was crass. Or maybe I read in wrong.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 09:24   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

If you are keeping the boat in a marina for those 90 days you may have a problem.

When I was in Maryland the state required the marinas to report the names of all boats in the marina. Also, the state may send revenue officers around marinas to check boats for registration.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 07:00   #9

If you're going to leave the state on day 60, my advice would be to go somewhere else and fill up on gas. Keep the receipt so that you can prove that on that day your boat was in another state.

How would they know? Well, they probably wouldn't. Lots of people break the law and don't get caught... at least, not right away. We call these people "criminals." If it were me, and my plan was to violate the law and just hope I didn't get caught, one of the things I would NOT do is talk about it on a public internet forum!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat