Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2020, 14:52   #61

Re: Legal to padlock vessel to public landing

On further thoughts on this I need to explain. Friend of mine had a mid size used auto business. On a large lot next to his home. His insurance advisor recommended that he increase his insurance as the business grew. He ended up buying a policy that was for over 1 Million $. One day he drove his wife's car to work so they could change oil. he left a company car for his wife to use.
His wife drives into town and just as she topped a small rise a car coming toward her made a left turn in front of her. She hit the rear passengers door. Wife got ticket for failure to stop. older lady driving other car went to her Doctor for check up. Dr. does not find a problem, but says you should call your lawyer. She calls lawyer and he says will check into it.
her lawyer finds the big insurance contract. They sue for possible injury's. he calls his attorney. Bingo he lost. His business the lot. and went so far in debt. that he was losing his home. So wife divorced him. He ended up with nothing and now lives on SS.
He says he would never buy a big Insurance policy now even if he won lottery.
So would I lock boat or just trust that nothing happens. Fine for locking might be a lot cheaper than Insurance or law suit over drifting boat.

Lock it up even for a cup of coffee.
Old 30-04-2020, 15:04   #62

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
Friend of mine had a mid size used auto business. On a large lot next to his home. His insurance advisor recommended that he increase his insurance as the business grew. He ended up buying a policy that was for over 1 Million $. One day he drove his wife's car to work so they could change oil. he left a company car for his wife to use.
His wife drives into town and just as she topped a small rise a car coming toward her made a left turn in front of her. She hit the rear passengers door. Wife got ticket for failure to stop. older lady driving other car went to her Doctor for check up. Dr. does not find a problem, but says you should call your lawyer. She calls lawyer and he says will check into it.
her lawyer finds the big insurance contract. They sue for possible injury's. he calls his attorney. Bingo he lost. His business the lot. and went so far in debt. that he was losing his home. So wife divorced him. He ended up with nothing and now lives on SS.
There has just got to be more to that story.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 15:23   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 15:35   #64

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Cool story, but he’s talking about strangers. It doesn’t happen. Especially in the couple hours it takes him to go get provisions. Plus, his boat should be impounded if people find it like that.
It must be a different planet that you live on.
Dinghys and small engines get stolen all the time and boats get cut adrift, by ignorant jerks just for the fun of it.
And marinas are subject to other thefts, i had my boat cleaned out at 4.00 in the afternoon by druggies. Also until my marina went with security cards the coin boxes in the showers and laundry were regularily broken into.

Feel free to not lock or secure your stuff, maybe my stuff won't get stolen then.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 16:48   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
ok a little more

6 years latter My grandson driving My car in a construction zone 20 miles from home. traffic guard slows traffic . My grandson does not see this ( I think he was on cell phone) slams into back of panel truck a head of him. Guy gets out complaining of neck pain. grandson gets ticket. 3 weeks later a notice from My insurance saying they had paid the max on my policy and if I could send any thing they would appreciate it. I later found that sense the guy was driving a company van the company insurance picked up the rest of costs. I never heard another word . Insurance costs did not go up. Nothing.
I had the minimum car insurance like friend said.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:57   #66

Yes brooks bridge will there be no parking/docking signs as there are farrer east
There marinas signs say private dock ect.
Yes the lake significantly reduces changes of someone running off w/ someone elses stuff. ICW is different.
This area is known for bums. so if the police insist on writing a ticket I’ll at least still have My stuff.

Plan b tie up a tad east there are some pillions however I believe that’s part of the restaurant.
Plan c tie up under bridge then kayack over to landing.I have a small kaayack yet to
Make a rack for it to be stored on.

I read someone else has a chieftain are you still using it? what size hull post up images of inside.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:12   #67

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Simple solution to alert. Set your anchor drag alarm app. shazaam!
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:32   #68

Just FYI: bike locks, cable locks and padlocks are generally incredibly easy to bypass; even expensive ones. It is possible that someone could set your boat free from the dock if you only use dock lines but if that is a likely risk, in your estimation, then I recommend you find a better place to tie up. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a bit more for a gated marina with security 😀

If you can't afford that, you're probably better off doubling up your lines. Make it a hassle for vandals to cause problems and they will most likely move on. If someone wants to steal your boat they are going to steal it. Boats are incredibly easy to steal. Maybe look into a covert GPS tracker if you're really worried.

Good luck 😀👍🏻
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:25   #69

So tied up with 5 lines intertwined so that a boy scout , a magician, and a crew from the coast guard can not un tie is legal.
While a bike lock that a 12 year old kid can pick in 10 seconds is unlawful.

Next best is anchor it firmly in Kansas.
Old 07-05-2020, 22:21   #70

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
USA fort walton bch. FL Legal to padlock (w/ thick bike lock cable) vessel to public landing
I would like to dock then lock up my 23’vessel cruiser to the public dock.
A point I haven't seen raised is local regulation. Is it a public landing for boats or a dinghy dock? Here in Annapolis every street that ends at the water has a free dinghy dock with a 12' length limit. At the end of Ego Alley downtown the limit is 17'. Once in a while someone ties up a boat too big and the phone starts ringing at the Harbormaster's office. Boat impounded. Fees for the transgression, the tow, storage.

No comment on locking up. Be sure you are allowed to be there at all.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 06:05   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
A point I haven't seen raised is local regulation. Is it a public landing for boats or a dinghy dock? Here in Annapolis every street that ends at the water has a free dinghy dock with a 12' length limit. At the end of Ego Alley downtown the limit is 17'. Once in a while someone ties up a boat too big and the phone starts ringing at the Harbormaster's office. Boat impounded. Fees for the transgression, the tow, storage.

No comment on locking up. Be sure you are allowed to be there at all.
yes I'll check the legality of tieing/locking next expedition thats if I get a chance to go.
probably cruise ft.morgan,AL in june.

I used to work for Cienna in lithicum I realy like the area so I've been to the tourist waterfront area near Annapolis.

this dock I speak of it's not a real dock w/ cleats for dock lines. it's a observation deck parchily in water. I can't get google earth to show ground level under the bridge.

see folks it's on ft.walton side of bridge this is where the grocery stores are located.my launch ramp LR is on Okaloosa isl. opposite side and down a ways from bridge.

I have tied up at LR off to the side not obstructing LR (only when the parking lot is fairly empty wouldn't want to come back to a full lot.

I've always wanted a pair of rollerblades, my legs could use a tonning. going downward on bridge mite be fun.

also been wanting a foldup electric bike for little land cruising.
Old 20-05-2020, 08:36   #72
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I was thinking about getting one of those folding push scooters like kids ride. They makes ones oversized and beefed-up a little for adults 6' tall and 200+lbs. We have folding bikes. But often they are not worth the hastle to dig out of the "garage" of the aft cabin, haul in the dinghy, and set up on shore for a short 1-2 mile trip.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:00   #73

been reading on the net that everyone w/ a boat is using it right now. this applies to week days and weekends.I tend to be a mid weeker and come home on mid day sunday.

I was hopping folks were fake news scared and locked in there homes so they won't get the chinese death flu.

and I could be the only one in the gulf catching my haul and everyone else's, wishfull thinking.

didn't know the folding bikes are a hassle to stepup thought it was fold and tighten. I'll have to watch some videos.
Old 20-05-2020, 17:09   #74

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
I was thinking about getting one of those folding push scooters...
Takes a look at the electric ones too! Razor Power Core E100, and others out there.. very reasonable pricing. 10mph - 1 to 2 hr of riding time on a charge...

...or, more adult oriented, like Hiboy S2 or Segway Ninebot MAX, and prices keep going up with range and extras!
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 17:29   #75

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Be careful with the scooters.

The small wheels make it so a little stick or pebble or hole can land you in the emergency room.

The bigger the wheels, the more safe the ride.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal