Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 15:51   #1

Boat: 2009 Jeanneau SunFast 3200
License/certification requirements

Hi All, here we go...my first post ! long story short. Currently enjoying my Laser in San Diego and daysailing on 16.5/22/27 and the likes. In a few years will retire and plan to establish home base back in Europe, I am Italian so would probably be in Italy, France or Greece. Plan to buy a landlocked "shack" there and also a boat (will start another thread on where to buy once I will get closer to the right time, even if I get more and more itchy by the day here in SD...). Plan extended cruising in the Mediterranean before jumping to Caribbean and South Pacific, I may run back and forths (or just decide to idle in Polynesia forever :-) ). "Wintering" the local bad seasons at home while boat is hauled out in some marinas. Personally I would live on her full time but family does not agree (yet)...so it will mostly be my toy and act as a mobile hotel-room for my family. Around 40 footer (thread coming...). Possibly new or gently used (yet another thread coming...). Anyway... the question relevant to this forum is about need or not for any official license, paperwork or whatnot. I get that cruising is the ultimate far west but given the fact especially in Europe there are lot of rules and regulations is there something I need/can do to be able to go there buy and sail no hassle to the destinations mentionned above, get into marinas, get proper insurance, etc...? being in SD it is very easy to attend any sort of sailing learning/class I may need and since I have few years yet to go why not just use them to get ready. Any suggestion ? Thanks Alex
alexp69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 16:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: License/certification requirements

Howdy Alex! Welcome Aboard CF.

Good luck on your future plans.

Here is a good place to start reading.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ion&gsc.page=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, license, men