Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 13:11   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Lights on a pier question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
In this case, placing a flashing red on the Left side of the dock (as your coming in from sea) and a flashing green on the right side would actually make sense. Pass with the flashing red to Stbd or flashing green to port and you miss the dock.
I know plenty people who, when they see red/green pair, just go straight down the middle...like its marking a narrow channel.

I think fixed white lights would be more suitable.

The canadian coast guard is at the point where they expect you to have gps/chartplotter, and are reducing the number of nav markers, since they are costly to maintain. Many great lighthouses now sit abandoned, or have been sold to locals.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 14:32   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
The bar at my yacht club has red and green lights on the entrance that can be seen from the parking lot. They indicate that the bar is open. Maybe they were just advertising their bar.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 20:28   #18

I'm assuming (Galveston Bay) you are on series 11324-326 (You didn't say exactly where......
Anyway, the first thing I would do is go over to the Condo in question and explain your concern.....
If that doesn't work, you can find all the information you need in the Notice to Mariners......
Calling the CG may not get a response as the lights in question are considered privately maintained......
So, you want to go right to the source and (be nice) as they are loaded with work and an understaffed staff.
NOAA has a "Nautical Discrepancy Report System". They have a Tel#.
1-888-990-6622
If you can go to their dock on a boat and get the Lat/Long of the lights in question.
Give them a description of the lights and tell them they are not charted (and on the same breath) ask him if these lights as they are displayed pose a navigational hazard? He will decide what steps will be taken....Namely notifying the CG to investigate and make a recommendation. If they deem them a hazard to navigation, they may request the marina to change or extinguish the lights. Privately maintained lights can be deemed temporary or permanent. Their decision will invariably be posted in the weekly "Notice to Mariners" as a chart correction.
I should also note:
It would help if the dock is posted on one of the mentioned charts.....
I don't have that info so I can't comment on it's navigational significance........ Cheers, Smitty
Seamule65 is offline   Reply With Quote