Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2021, 12:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Lipari
Looking for a customs broker

Hey,

We are about to import our boat in the US for the first time (to sell it), and don't know much about the import process. Does anyone know a good customs broker? We will go thru customs in Florida, but the boat will be registered in California.

Thanks!
Jeff
jeffgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 20:18   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Looking for a customs broker

If you list with a broker some will know the process. Atlantic Cruising Yachts in Fort Lauderdale is one. Curious why you would register in California. Are you moving the boat there. If you document the boat you don’t/can’t register it in California. In that state you do one or the other. You also want to avoid state sales/use tax.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 04:53   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Looking for a customs broker

When I shipped and imported my boat the shipping company suggested
https://masterpieceintl.com/
Worked for me.
Ask them about port of entry and EPA engine documents.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 06:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Lipari

Thanks - Trying to do without a broker for once... (we also got quite a bit of demand for the boat already). I thought it had to be California since this we are resident in CA. If we can do it in Florida - even better!

Will contact Masterpieceintl - thanks!
jeffgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 09:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgraf View Post
Thanks - Trying to do without a broker for once... (we also got quite a bit of demand for the boat already). I thought it had to be California since this we are resident in CA. If we can do it in Florida - even better!

Will contact Masterpieceintl - thanks!
Hi Jeff,

Been in the import/export business for 30+ years. Most things are pretty straightforward but I THINK from very limited reading, that boats are a bit more complicated. If I understand correctly in addition to customs clearance and any import duties there is also a requirement to certify that systems meet US safety requirements. Things like electric, propane etc that are done differently for example on a CE certified boat in Europe.

I have a customs broker that I work with that might be able to handle this. Basic fee is around $100 for filing the docs and clearing the cargo from US customs. Other fees incurred like import duty etc they will bill at their cost.

Let me know if you want their contact information.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 11:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

I recommend Michelle Terorotua <michelle@compasslogisticsmarine.com. Fast service, reasonable fee, will set you up with a surveyor that will give the lowest value that Customs will except for the calculation of duty. Be aware there are also a ton of nuisance fees that add up but are not based on the boats value.

Note: South African built boats are supposed to be duty free into the US. However, I'm told that a new lady lawyer at Customs in DC has a taken a strained interpenetration of the US treaty (which has been renewed to 2025) with that country. She believes that the boat must come directly from SA to the US. Mine was in the BVI for several years on charter before I imported it into the US. Result: I had to pay up. I have talked to a number of owners of SA built boats who never were required to pay duty to import. Ten years ago we imported an SA built boat from French Polynesia into the US at Honolulu. No duty according to Honolulu Customs office.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 13:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I recommend Michelle Terorotua <michelle@compasslogisticsmarine.com. Fast service, reasonable fee, will set you up with a surveyor that will give the lowest value that Customs will except for the calculation of duty. Be aware there are also a ton of nuisance fees that add up but are not based on the boats value.

Note: South African built boats are supposed to be duty free into the US. However, I'm told that a new lady lawyer at Customs in DC has a taken a strained interpenetration of the US treaty (which has been renewed to 2025) with that country. She believes that the boat must come directly from SA to the US. Mine was in the BVI for several years on charter before I imported it into the US. Result: I had to pay up. I have talked to a number of owners of SA built boats who never were required to pay duty to import. Ten years ago we imported an SA built boat from French Polynesia into the US at Honolulu. No duty according to Honolulu Customs office.
Sounds like they specialize in marine imports so should be the best option.

However I would like to hear more about the strained interpenetration of the lawyer.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broker, customs