Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 18:45   #1

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
MCA for an SCV Not in Flagged State

For an SCV flagged in BVI (where MCA applies), need MCA be met if the commercial activity never occurs in the BVI? That is the BVI flagged boat operates only in another jurisdiction as a foreign boat, and all regulations are met for that local jurisdiction?
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:32   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Try putting all the "lingo" into normal language . . . unless it is just an attempt to poke fun at all the acronyms used in the boating world.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
I think you will find that the coding needed is determined by the country of registry of the vessel, so if BVI registered MCA would be appropriate

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
For an SCV flagged in BVI (where MCA applies), need MCA be met if the commercial activity never occurs in the BVI? That is the BVI flagged boat operates only in another jurisdiction as a foreign boat, and all regulations are met for that local jurisdiction?
Sure ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:30   #5

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
small commercial vessel (scv) = maritime and coast guard agency (mca) you need to meet the requirements of mgn280 m doucument and it is costly
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 16:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
small commercial vessel (scv) = maritime and coast guard agency (mca) you need to meet the requirements of mgn280 m doucument and it is costly
Ive dug through the MCA stuff, I've seen several references to "boats that operate commercially within BVI waters". So this would include a US flagged boat operating in BVI. But I cant seem to find a specific reference that would include a BVI flagged boat operating elsewhere.
Old 09-07-2010, 16:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
And how costly is costly? Ive seen some references that say its cheaper to reflag elsewhere...
Old 09-07-2010, 16:08   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
short answer = YES
Old 09-07-2010, 16:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
short answer = YES
Cheaper to reflag?
Old 09-07-2010, 17:12   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Why do you think there is no American Merchant Marine?????

All the vessels are MF (Monkey Flagged)
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 17:14   #11

Please note I'm not trying to "skim" the rules or dispute them. I've spent a lot of time reading the MCA code and there is a lot of good safety stuff in there. But a lot of the stuff is costly to certify for something I already know is ok (ie stability test).

I'm going to call on Monday but this is an extract from the official application to the BVI Maritime Registry:
"The above regulations apply to ‘small commercial sailing and motor vessels’ which are
Virgin Islands (BVI) vessels; and other (foreign) small commercial sailing and motor vessels to which a relevant ‘Code of Practice’ applies, whilst they are operating from a harbour in the Virgin Islands or are in Virgin Islands (BVI) waters."

Note the last sentence..... We are not proposing to operate with in the territory of the BVI, and our boat will meet all the safety requirements for SCVs in the waters in which it will operate.
Old 09-07-2010, 17:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
"The above regulations apply to ‘small commercial sailing and motor vessels’ which are
Virgin Islands (BVI) vessels; and other (foreign) small commercial sailing and motor vessels to which a relevant ‘Code of Practice’ applies, whilst they are operating from a harbour in the Virgin Islands or are in Virgin Islands (BVI) waters."
I further realize that some may say that the last clause might only apply to "other (foreign)"... but I believe this clause applies to both BVI and non BVI flagged vessels based on the explicit placing of the ; and the ,. That is the clause applies to both type of flagged vessels, and not just the latter.