Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 13:58   #331

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Imaging everyone in the world having his own idea of what a Barrel is... That is why the metric system was devised.

The only reason there is no confusion on what the the meaning of "feet" and "inch" is, is that there is only one country left using those measures...
Yeah, right. "30 March 1791 – The French National Assembly accepts the proposal by the French Academy of Sciences that the new definition for the metre be equal to one ten-millionth of the length of a quadrant along the Earth's meridian through Paris, that is the distance from the equator to the north pole." The foregoing quote is from Wikipedia. What has a barrel got to do with that? Need I mention that French Academy of Sciences was not accurate in it measurement or other details and assumptions?
Old 24-03-2017, 14:56   #332

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
That prices for certain commodities are still being quoted in some old fashioned unit is not uncommon. It's just what we have always done...

For example, if I order firewood, the unit used for quoting the price is an old fashioned one called "stère".

However, outside of trading those units are not used. Sizes for tanker cars for example will be given in m3, not in barrels...
Even French butchers still use the livre which is 'half a kilo' or 'about a pound' and is equivilant to 0.0106644880174 quintals.
Old 24-03-2017, 15:25   #333

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
although if he were in europe he would need to write it:
1 meter per second = 1,944 knots.
Depends on what part of Europe. AFAIK, the UK is still part of Europe
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 15:30   #334

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That prices for certain commodities are still being quoted in some old fashioned unit is not uncommon. It's just what we have always done...

For example, if I order firewood, the unit used for quoting the price is an old fashioned one called "stère".

However, outside of trading those units are not used. Sizes for tanker cars for example will be given in m3, not in barrels...
The last time I bought firewood (30+ years ago in NZ) it was measured in Cords.
Old 24-03-2017, 16:46   #335

I think KVB is having us on - again :-)! Long ago, those Sons of Reason that mucked up the state of the world because they'd OD-ed on Descartes and Diderot got themselves so totally confused that they had to unconfuse themselves by referring to the cubic metre by the much older term "stère"

My former "homeland" [fascinating how connotations change over time :-0)!] despite being nominally on the metric system, still trades firewood in fathoms! One fathom ("favn") of firewood is 72 cubic feet("fod"), which is really nifty cos 72 is evenly divisible by 12. Nothing like a good old dozen sez I. How could you have greater perfection in numbers than one that can be factored by 2,3,4,and 6?

So a fathom ("en favn") of firewood equals one "stack", a "stack ("en stabel") being two rows ("rader") stacked with 2 foot pieces. The rows are set so the pieces in one row are end to end with the pieces in the other row. The stack is made "hip high", i.e. 3 feet ("fod") high, and 3 ells ("alen") long, or "as long as a man", i.e. 6 feet long. Voila! 4 x 3 x 6 = 72. What could be more apposite? Or easier? No French Son of Reason, no member of a French institut or académie, could possibly devise a more elegant system, or one easier to handle in "real life".

Not even the English speaking chord has such elegance. 128 is just a pain to factor. 2X8x8? 2x4x 16? 4x4x8? 8 is too long, being longer than a man is high. Let alone 16. 4 is good for width, 8 feet but for height? Damn awkward - and tiring!

Nah - be sensible! Eschew all things French, and since the chord is almost right anyway, let's just all agree to handle ("handle" (Da) = trade) our firewood in favne!

Cheers

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 19:24   #336
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The last time I bought firewood (30+ years ago in NZ) it was measured in Cords.
Firewood locally is sold in tonnes (i.e. 1000Kg) but sometimes can be sourced in cubic metres. There is some fancy rule that determines the amount of airspace allowed per cubic metre but I don't know nor care about it. Likewise a tone of firewood should not be more than 12% moisture but again most don't worry too much. Of course green firewood might have 20% so that 10 tonnes of firewood I recently had delivered wood is really about 2 tonnes of moisture. 1 tonne which must disappear before it becomes useable

Now about the ton, why does the USA use the US ton when there is a perfectly good imperial ton.

Likewise the gallon.

It seems like the USA pretends to use imperial measurement and then goes and changes it - why ???
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 22:06   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It seems like the USA pretends to use imperial measurement and then goes and changes it - why ???
It's the ' I'm the president and you're not' syndrome...

Did you know that central and south america drove on the left until 1945?

Same sort of issue.
Old 24-03-2017, 22:56   #338

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
That is such a silly question. It is to take advantage of these in the other, but less fortunate, former colonies. It works by selling them what they think is the same, but for less, when it is really less for more.
Old 25-03-2017, 00:00   #339

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Depends on what part of Europe. AFAIK, the UK is still part of Europe
True, but whenever a brit says he is going to travel to the continent, he (or she just to be non-sexist) invariably says he/she is going to europe (not the continent).

By the way, rmember the old tongue twister?

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers?

so does anyone now (no fair cheating by googling or wiki) know how big a peck is?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 01:28   #340

Quote:
True, but whenever a brit says he is going to travel to the continent, he (or she just to be non-sexist) invariably says he/she is going to europe (not the continent)........
No they don't.......
Old 25-03-2017, 01:50   #341

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
By the way, rmember the old tongue twister?

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers?

so does anyone now (no fair cheating by googling or wiki) know how big a peck is?
I used to, but I'd forgotten, so I looked it up.

Thanks for reminding me that my memory is going.
Old 25-03-2017, 02:59   #342

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I used to, but I'd forgotten, so I looked it up.

Thanks for reminding me that my memory is going.
well that's makes two of us whose memories are shot (what were we talking about?)

I have also forgotten how big peck is - how big is it?

EDIT - having looked, we can now discuss a "kenning" or a "firlot" for those who can't get enough of these types of things

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 25-03-2017, 03:01   #343

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
No they don't.......
you must hang out with a better educated class of people than I do. (sigh)

Old 25-03-2017, 03:15   #344

Quote:
you must hang out with a better educated class of people than I do. (sigh)
Dunno 'bout that but upon my return to the land of my birth - after many years absence - in 1963 I used 'Europe' and was taken severely to task and told to mend me ways... never from that day to this have I heard a Pom say 'Europe' when they meant ' the Continent'.

The 'strayan and 'merkin use of 'England' when they mean 'Britain' is, however, very common.
Old 25-03-2017, 03:19   #345

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Dunno 'bout that but upon my return to the land of my birth - after many years absence - in 1963 I used 'Europe' and was taken severely to task and told to mend me ways... never from that day to this have I heard a Pom say 'Europe' when they meant ' the Continent'.

The 'strayan and 'merkin use of 'England' when they mean 'Britain' is, however, very common.
yes, but

"There will always be an England" falls better on the ear than

"There will always be a Great Britain"

carsten