Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 18:21   #106

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
There we are just being obstinate in general not against any measurement system. The dollar bill is not an even number of metric or standard units of measurement nor are any of the coins.

Example: Dollar Bill - Width. 6.14 inches ≈ 156.1 mm. Height. 2.61 inches ≈ 66.3 mm

If you are referring to the numeric value of bills and coins, you are confusing the decimal (base 10) numbering system with metric units of measurement.

Its completely correct to say standard sheet of plywood (4x8' in USA) is 10.01110 meters on the long side if using binary numbers. While decimal is certainly more convenient, there is no requirement that metric measurements be in decimal numbering. Our currency is a function not of the metric system but of decimal system.
Aargh...."standardized" lumber sizes...another anamoly...why cant a 2x4" just ctually be 2x4" !!!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 18:50   #107

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Wahoo!! [I can't find the right emoticon - expressing astonishment and curiosity].

That is either a brilliant political insight or the most ridiculous extrapolation ever made. It's kind of like chaos theory: a butterfly in Sibera changes the weather in wherever. I'm going to have to sleep on this one.
Not brilliant, and not as remote as a butterfly (although I think it should be called a flutterby) in Siberia. Many in Britain (enough for Brexit to pass) as well as the USA (enough for Trump to win) were and are tired of bureaucratic dictates about what and how to think, and the needless destruction of tradition. I am definitely not saying that everyone who voted for Brexit thought this, but I believe those who did were enough to tip the scale. Am I incorrect? Could be, but I do not think so. Having nothing to do with the issue, but so no one thinks this is political, I am ineligible to vote in Britain, and refused to vote for any presidential candidate in California, USA. A sailing tie-in is the increasing involvement of bureaucracy in the equipping and operation of a person's boat. Not all rebellions involve guns and bullets, at least initially. Some never do.
Old 15-03-2017, 18:51   #108

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
What I always wonder why the "Rest of the World" which have "All Gone Metric" (which is not even a little bit true) cares what Americans and other sensible people measure with? Why does it kill you if I easily know that 5/32 is between 1/8 and 3/16? Why do you people want everyone to be like you? Do you imagine in your arrogance that you're some kind of better to which everyone else should aspire?
"Everything the same" was the ambition of the Communists (who, btw, used the metric system--how'd that work out for them?). But we live in a vast and varied world, where there's more than one way to do things. Why sneer at those who are happily doing things differently, and getting them done? If the "rest of the world" wants to all go like lemmings off the cliff of ignorance, what's that to me? They way I do things gets them done, and if the rest of the frantic world thinks I'm doing it wrong, what do I care?
You who prefer a different way to measure things: I wish you joy of it. Have your system, rejoice in it, but know that when you think to put down those of us who are different you only put your ignorance on display.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
From a business perspective its really inefficient to have to convert back and forth for different markets. My fathers newsprint company always had this problem their business was splilt between US and european markets. they always had to shave the rolls down for the US market which meant they were always changing their setup back and forth for production runs.

Not to mention the metric system is just plain more logical! everything is a multiple of 10!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 18:51   #109

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
No it IS determined. It is a SI derived unit of exactly 1852 metres and was defined in 1929.
We already did this. They couldn't agree on the number so they agreed to a rounded number 1852.

ETA: Here's the wiki article that says it was rounded to a whole number:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical_mile

For additional info see post #59.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 18:53   #110

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Aargh...."standardized" lumber sizes...another anamoly...why cant a 2x4" just ctually be 2x4" !!!
Because it's 2"x4" rough cut.then it gets planed down to standardized size.:-)
But in regards to all this argueing about which system.... Wow!!!! This is as bad as mono vs multi, "the way I do it is the best!"
Relax, as long as it works for you, use it. Sit back, have a rum with me and watch the sun set.
Damn I missed it while typing. Hopefully there's another tomorrow ;-)
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 19:01   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Skipping a couple of pages, so I apologize if there are already more intelligent comments.

What I learned was "engineering" units, and they seem to be what's in common use in Canada at least. Those are in jumps of a thousand, so litres-millilitres, meters-kilometers, grams-kilograms, and so on. I see centi- and deci- in Europe, but not here.

This is the kind of thing engineers do to simplify their lives so that they can head off sooner to the pub for a pint .
Metric system as implemented in Canada include the "inbetween units" so its in jumps of 10's not 1000's try dealing with the govt they use all the inbetween units. it's taught in school too ( all the way back to the early 80's when I was in grade school) but in real life we're in reality still in transition. its really only the millenials that are truly metric only!
Old 15-03-2017, 19:07   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
What I always wonder why the "Rest of the World" which have "All Gone Metric" (which is not even a little bit true)
zartmancruising dot com
Actually 95% of the world has gone metric(in one form or another). Can you guess who the big hold out is/are??? The USA, Burma and Liberia!!!
Old 15-03-2017, 19:24   #113

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Actually 95% of the world has gone metric(in one form or another). Can you guess who the big hold out is/are??? The USA, Burma and Liberia!!!
Aaaaaaannndd maybe the entertainment industry.

Years ago my son needed some sort of adapter made for a boom microphone pole. Basically he needed a short, (3") 3/8" D threaded rod that was half British Standard Whitworth and half something else. Tonight I couldn't remember what the other thread was so I googled "machine thread types." Reading the wiki article I found this:

Quote:
Microphone stands:
⅝″ 27 threads per inch (tpi) Unified Special thread (UNS, USA and the rest of the world)
¼″ BSW (not common in the US, but used in the rest of the world)
⅜″ BSW (not common in the US, but used in the rest of the world)
Stage lighting suspension bolts (in some countries only; some have gone entirely metric, others such as Australia have reverted to the BSW threads, or have never fully converted):
⅜″ BSW for lighter luminaires
½″ BSW for heavier luminaires
So, the entertainment industry are serious holdouts to metric conversion. Next time you see an entertainer expounding on the benefits of the metric system look at or picture his microphone in your mind and think, British Standard Whitworth..

Drops mic.

ETA: wiki article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_thread
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 19:27   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
There you go, in one form or another. BTW, in the USA we are free to use metrics if we prefer.
Old 15-03-2017, 19:32   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander View Post
Find it funny, US kicked BritS out in 1700s and yet still today use the imperial system of wieghs and measures, a system based on the size of a kings appendages.
Which part weighed a pound?
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 20:11   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Which part weighed a pound?
While, I have an idea as to what may be claimed, I actually do not know, or even care. These complications cause us all to think, and it may be why the USA remains ahead in some areas, but not others. Could be????
Old 15-03-2017, 20:16   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It's been noted the Romans used to drive on the left. So all of Europe drove on the left until Napoleon Bonaparte invaded them, and dictated that everyone must now drive on the right - just to be contrary. (He never got to Britain, so they stayed to the left.)

So for a lot of the world, not only the width of the road, but the side you drive on was dictated by a horse's arse.
I is very difficult to argue with the story, although the reason Nappy said right if the Romans had said left is not clear to me.
Old 15-03-2017, 20:45   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I is very difficult to argue with the story, although the reason Nappy said right if the Romans had said left is not clear to me.
Probably not clear to anyone. He did it just because he could.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 21:45   #119
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
You are 100% correct! We experienced that in Canada in the 70's during metric conversion. All of a sudden an Imp gal.(454L) was replaced with a US gal 3.78L at the same price. Same for pounds to kg,etc,etc.

Of course the US perfected that scam 250yrs ago with their "small" pt,qt,gal,etc.

/ Len
My beef was that all Quicky Lube shops stayed with "5000" on the sticker for your next oil change.

Before metric conversion it was 5000 miles; after metric conversion it was 5000 km. Why did the effectiveness of engine oil suddenly drop 38% over night?
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 21:58   #120

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

When using the metric sytem, you must ONLY use millimeters, meters or kilometers, or the French will throw a hissy fit, stomp their pretty little feet, and fart in your general direction.

BTW, a millimeter is about 2/3 of a sixteenth of an inch, or 0.0395". Sort of stupid small to measure things like boats, cars and airplanes.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote