Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 13:30   #1

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Mexican Territorial Waters

How far do you have to stay away from Mexico to stay out of their territorial waters, including the Banco Chinchorro a Cay 16 miles off the Mexican coast. Would that be included in Mexican waters and would that limit extend farther out from that Cay. I understand 12 miles is the limit but 24 miles could be enforced for Mexican laws. Does anyone know if that 12- 24 miles would extend outward from the Chinchorro Bank. I want to avoid Mexican waters at all cost on our trip to Belize.
Old 04-06-2012, 13:34   #2

Re: Mexican territorial waters

Me guess is that since territorial waters under UNCLOS extend 12 miles, they would also extend 12 from Banco Chinchorro, which I assume is Mexican territory. With a 12 mile limit from the mainland you would be in Mexican territorial waters.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:06   #3

I would think so also. Thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 14:07   #4

But I am hearing that if you are within 24 miles of Mexican territory you need a cruising permit.
Old 04-06-2012, 14:10   #5

From NOONSITE:

A new regulation, introduced January 2012, states that anyone sailing within 24 miles of the coast of Mexico must be in possession of a visa. Cruisers have reported on the Southbound Group that they were boarded in La Paz Bay by the Mexican Navy checking paperwork and ensuring that crew were legally in Mexico. Other cruisers report that on arrival at Isla Mujeres they were granted a tourist card without difficulty.
Old 04-06-2012, 14:39   #6

Good info - I guess that is settled.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 15:50   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Mexican Territorial Waters

No matter which way ya come on the Mexican east coast, if ya plan to make stop anywhere along that coast HAVE A ZARPE from where ya left !! just a reminder cus sometimes it gets Crazy down there !! just sayin
Old 04-06-2012, 23:15   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Color me confused, but how does Mexico have jurisdiction past 12 miles? I'm not about to argue with any country's navy gun boats, but this one sort of stumps me.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:15   #9

Boats with guns. Coast Guards. Have jurisdiction wherever they please. In theory vessels have rights of innocent passage. I think this usually means staying outside 3 miles where practical. Staying out of harbors and bays. Not having intercourse with the locals. (love that word). However the Mexicans are correct to assume that any nearby cruising boat is surely stopping along the way. The tightening of the rules can be attributed to the disrespective attitude of many many cruisers over the years.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Color me confused, but how does Mexico have jurisdiction past 12 miles? I'm not about to argue with any country's navy gun boats, but this one sort of stumps me.
International Law provides a Contiguous Zone up to 24 miles out... It is a basically a buffer zone....

Here is a detailed explination from Wikipedia....

The contiguous zone is a band of water extending from the outer edge of the territorial sea to up to 24 nautical miles (44 km; 28 mi) from the baseline, within which a state can exert limited control for the purpose of preventing or punishing "infringement of its customs, fiscal, immigration or sanitary laws and regulations within its territory or territorial sea". This will typically be 12 nautical miles (22 km; 14 mi) wide, but could be more (if a state has chosen to claim a territorial sea of less than 12 nautical miles), or less, if it would otherwise overlap another state's contiguous zone. However, unlike the territorial sea there is no standard rule for resolving such conflicts, and the states in question must negotiate their own compromise. The United States invoked a contiguous zone out to 24 nm on 24 September 1999.[2]

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:20   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

also need a fishing license if you have gear.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42   #12

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
also need a fishing license if you have gear.
Zee,
Do you still need a fishing license for your boat, your dinghy, and a license for each person on board?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:51   #13

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Panamajames, glad to know you are headed through the Canal and on to Belize. I have the same boat and plan the same trip probably next year. Are you keeping a blog or have a website that you share your experiences? I would love to keep up with you and learn from your trip. Sandy
Old Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:54   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

need fishing license from conapesca only for each crew and yourself if you have ANYTHING can be used for fishing, including plain monofilament. do not need for babes, dinghies, monkeys, gatos, goggies or other inanities. now is sensible. and they consider anyone sans license poaching, is serious .be safe....the fishies are deelishuss...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46   #15

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Recent article in BoatUS magazine says new Mexican regulations effective Jan. 1 2012 requires foreign boaters to have costly visas to travel within 24 miles of Mexico's mainland. They range from $28 for one- to three-day travel, to $250 for one year. These are "sea visas" -- different from "land visas" which can cost nothing for visits of less than a week.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote