Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 19:22   #1

Boat: Caliber 40
Mexican TIP info from Mexican Cruiser

I wanted to start a new thread with info from someone that just did the Mexican paperwork thing.

Here is a message I just received from a friend who is currently cruising in Western Mexico. They left San Diego before Christmas and checked in at Ensenada. They then spent some time in San Jose del Cabo and are now headed east.

"I've been kind of following the flap regarding the TIP. It's definitely getting bigger coverage recently. Some new subunit of the IRS tried flexing their muscles and screwed up. The big problem now is that they don't have a procedure for releasing the impounded boats.

My understanding of one of the issues is that when the TIP was initially filled out, the wrong boat ID number got put in the field. It is supposed to be the hull number not the Coast Guard documentation number. We checked in in Ensenada. It was very smooth, took less than 2 hours. Everything is in one building now with window for the different organizations in the same room. You just go from one window to the next. They even have the bank there.

Our TIP has the hull number on the form. So I'm hoping we're good."

So it appears that the information published by Latitude 38 is correct. The problem for the embargoed boats is that no procedure currently exists to remove them from the embargo list.

I sure wish Zeehag would take the trouble to write out the detailed step-by-step her freinds / acquaintances used to get off the list. It sure would help those boats that have proper and valid documentation and are still on the embargo list.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mexican TIP info from Mexican Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
I wanted to start a new thread with info from someone that just did the Mexican paperwork thing.

Here is a message I just received from a friend who is currently cruising in Western Mexico. They left San Diego before Christmas and checked in at Ensenada. They then spent some time in San Jose del Cabo and are now headed east.

"I've been kind of following the flap regarding the TIP. It's definitely getting bigger coverage recently. Some new subunit of the IRS tried flexing their muscles and screwed up. The big problem now is that they don't have a procedure for releasing the impounded boats.

My understanding of one of the issues is that when the TIP was initially filled out, the wrong boat ID number got put in the field. It is supposed to be the hull number not the Coast Guard documentation number. We checked in in Ensenada. It was very smooth, took less than 2 hours. Everything is in one building now with window for the different organizations in the same room. You just go from one window to the next. They even have the bank there.

Our TIP has the hull number on the form. So I'm hoping we're good."

So it appears that the information published by Latitude 38 is correct. The problem for the embargoed boats is that no procedure currently exists to remove them from the embargo list.

I sure wish Zeehag would take the trouble to write out the detailed step-by-step her freinds / acquaintances used to get off the list. It sure would help those boats that have proper and valid documentation and are still on the embargo list.
Maybe as simple as attend the appropriate office in person with all your ships papers and request and correctly fill out a new TIP... and if it gets you released.. swallow any required fee for the new TIP with a smile and a 'Thank you Sir'...
Painful as it may seem..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 20:00   #3

Re: Mexican TIP info from Mexican Cruiser

"Maybe as simple as attend the appropriate office in person with all your ships papers and request and correctly fill out a new TIP"

Uh - NO - a friend in San Carlos tried that route and was told he had to modify the existing TIP but can not get anyone to accept the modification.
Old 09-01-2014, 20:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
a friend in San Carlos tried that route and was told he had to modify the existing TIP but can not get anyone to accept the modification.
Adding to this Confusion is that "Baja" (Baja California and Baja California Sur) operate on a whole different world than the mainland Mexican States. I ship things into Mexico and pay the importation duty for clients all the time. Baja is a piece of cake...the mainland is a PITA. It not corruption...just friendly Governmental incompetance with a smile.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:36   #5

I spent this morning talking with a cruiser who keeps their boat in La Paz. They are an interesting case because they were not on their boat in La Paz when the "inspections" occurred. They use a local service that monitors boats while the owners are away.

They talked to that service earlier this week and were reassured that their boat was not on the embargo list. The AGACE "inspectors" that checked the boat paperwork in their marina were satisfied with TIPs that had been filed with the marina office and found no problems in the marina.

The La Paz local contact did say that the problem is still that boats, for whatever reason, that were put on the embargo list have not been given any guidance or information about how to get off the list - even when they have perfect documentation.

It sure sounds like a boat checking into Mexico which gets a current TIP will have no future problems.

Here is a copy of a message from an American boat management company in La Paz

There have been no recent reports of additional "inspections" however the marinas here in La Paz are anticipating that the Mexican officials may visit sometime in January. For now nothing has changed and there have been no new developments reported--other than reports of high-level meeting in Mexico City and this round of media attention.

Hopefully the situation will be resolved quickly and everything will get back to normal. Cruisers with all of the necessary documentation, insurance, and temporary import permit (TIP) for their vessel should not have any problems once the process gets sorted out.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Dennis and Susan who sent out the above message on the Yahoo Southbound Group have been in La Paz since 1995-ish and have their finger on the pulse of things with their Yacht management services. Their report is identicle to what my dealer in La Paz is tellling me who has a professional relationship with the local Government and Tax man, since he regularly pays importation duty on products and helps cruisers obtain an ammendment to their TIP when installing new equipment.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 06:01   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

We had to get a replacement TIP. It's a bit of a process. You need to get a document from a the Del Minist Publico that says your old one was lost, incorrect or whatever. Then you go back to the Banjercito and pay the $654 pesos for a brand new one. It seems you can not change or get a copy of an old TIP. You can only get a new one.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 06:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mexican TIP info from Mexican Cruiser

Had a feeling that would be the case.. everything has its price..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 16:54   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Does anyone know what the outcome of this situation is? Were the boats released or are many of them still impounded (or whatever)?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 17:09   #10

As often is the case, It appears one official figured out on his own a method to bungle through the beaurocracy (sp?).. I can hear it now:
"Oh yes senor I can help, you have LOST your TIP" .
.."NO, NO I didn't lose it..."
yes Senor... you DID lose it! " WINK.
"OH ... OH yes I lost it that's right..."

The Anal cruiser wont get it, stand his ground, insisting he is right.
The Laxidasical (sp?)Cruiser with the laundry hanging all over his boat will get 'er done...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 17:33   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Does anyone know what the outcome of this situation is? Were the boats released or are many of them still impounded (or whatever)?
There is a full account in Latitude 38 but it looks like it has been cleaned up, finally.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser