Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2022, 10:17   #1

Boat: McGregor 17 (For now)
Mexico TIP issues and boat purchase

Good day everyone.

I've been reading lots of posts and learning but first post for me. I did a search on my question and didn't find a clear answer. forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else.

My wife and I have been coming to San Carlos Mx for years now and have been looking a purchasing one of several US titled sailboats here in San Carlos. The issue I am running into is getting a clear answer on the whole TIP question. One of the boats is half way through it's second 10 year TIP. The other is at the end of its first 10 year TIP.

I think I understand the whole transfer, cancellation and then re-issuing of a TIP to the boat. My question that I cant get a clear answer on is what happens at the end of the second 10 year TIP? Is that it for the boat in Mexico for ever? Or is it just a matter of leaving Mexico and then the clock re-sets? Would we be able to leave.. head south through panama and then come back into Mexico on the Caribbean side and get a new TIP on a new clock or would it be a continuation of the 20 year total clock?

We will be retiring in November of this year and want to learn on the Sea of Cortez before exploring the rest of this wonderful world but I don't want to have a clock running in the background that says I have to leave Mexico by such and such a date. Life happens and grand kids are on the near horizon so we want to be able to head back to states for that.

Thanks for any clarification you all can offer.

Kevin
KNJOBRIEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 11:51   #2

Boat: McGregor 17 (For now)
Re: Mexico TIP issues and boat purchase

I got some info today that it sounds like the work around is through the broker in Ensenada. They can fix all things TIP related even after the 20 year limit. One just has to be willing to pay the $$.

Now to find the right boat here in the Sea of Cortez.
KNJOBRIEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 12:21   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNJOBRIEN View Post
I got some info today that it sounds like the work around is through the broker in Ensenada. They can fix all things TIP related even after the 20 year limit. One just has to be willing to pay the $$.

Now to find the right boat here in the Sea of Cortez.
We had an agent in La Paz successfully deal with our unexpired TIP... in case you want a name in La Paz.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 21:29   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. Anything is possible in Mexico. They love lots of paperwork.,
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 08:51   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you must get tip in your name.. last owner doesnot work for you. cancel old owners active t i p and get your own.. get yours in banjercito. to cancel you may need abogado , a mexican lawyer or banjercito to make suggestions.. old tip doesnot work legally. i donot know if a document service can help, but wont hurt to ask. dona jenkins is always available for these questions and their service. for the record eachowner is granted 2 sequential t i p notat same time,, but renewable once. then outof country for boat or import it into mexico and keep it here.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Mexico, purchase