Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 12:42   #31

Re: Minnesota DNR confirms that it is illegal to ride on the tubes of an inflatable b

One could sit further inside or on the bench but where's the fun in that.

They are just looking out for the safety of boaters that have risky behavior so as to avoid this happening.

Wait for it!

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 13:03   #32

Re: Minnesota DNR confirms that it is illegal to ride on the tubes of an inflatable b

In the alternative one just needs a boat with a saxboard, instead of a gunwale. NOT to be confused with a sexboard which is reserved for cockswains.

Subd. 5. Riding on gunwales or decking. A person may not ride or sit and a person may not operate a motorboat while a person is riding or sitting on (i) the starboard or port gunwales; (ii) the decking over the bow, sides, or stern; or (iii) the transom, of a motorboat while underway unless the motorboat is provided with adequate guards or railing to prevent passengers from falling overboard.

Or Minnesotans could take up the Montanan style of row boat'n and motor boat'n.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	440.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	183575   Click image for larger version

Name:	435_1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	183576  

Old 09-01-2019, 13:22   #33

Well the literal language of the law is very specific as to applicability being in the singularity. It could have been written as a person or persons.

Subd. 5. Riding on gunwales or decking. A person may not ride or sit and a person may not operate a motorboat while a person is riding or sitting on (i) the starboard or port gunwales; (ii) the decking over the bow, sides, or stern; or (iii) the transom, of a motorboat while underway unless the motorboat is provided with adequate guards or railing to prevent passengers from falling overboard.

So simple solution be sure to have more than one person sitting on the transom.

I'm thinking four should suffice.

The right four.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51bf0d1396c0788db35a833604274cf1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	183577  
Old 09-01-2019, 13:58   #34

The law is intended to have boaters ride responsibly, but fails to address driving the boat equally as responsibly. So one half of the equation is being addressed.

Old 09-01-2019, 14:14   #35

There are good reasons why the DNR does not want anyone sitting or standing along the edges when operating a motor boat without protective guard rails.

An example:

Lesson to be learned: Don't utilize too much starter fluid.

Old 09-01-2019, 14:23   #36

Okay, for my final post revealing why the DNR law actually makes sense.

One of my favorites.

Roll the movie.

Been there, done this.

Old 09-01-2019, 14:37   #37

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Forget about sitting dangerously on the rail, these people should be fined for not wearing their boating helmets and proper eye protection as well as appropriate gender neutral swimwear! Sarcasm too much?
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 17:05   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jammer: just built a good nesting dinghy, and row, and avoid out of date legislation.

Ann
Old 09-01-2019, 17:14   #39

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Minnesota DNR confirms that it is illegal to ride on the tubes of an inflatable boat

I’m thinking of installing this around my inflatable dinghy. What do you think? [ATTACH] will this satisfy DNR?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	183585  
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 17:23   #40

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Jammer: just built a good nesting dinghy, and row, and avoid out of date legislation.

Ann

As always your advice as sound and speaks to my tastes.

I am presently in the middle of a thought experiment involving a Trinka and Weaver Davits.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 17:40   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I’m thinking of installing this around my inflatable dinghy. What do you think? [ATTACH] will this satisfy DNR?
Very boatiful.

And the classic white picket fence appears to me the ABYC H41 standard of a minimum height of 24 inches for lifelines.

Perhaps some flower boxes?
Old 09-01-2019, 17:51   #42

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Very boatiful.

And the classic white picket fence appears to me the ABYC H41 standard of a minimum height of 24 inches for lifelines.

Perhaps some flower boxes?

Yes to the flower boxes. And perhaps we can repurpose the old lawnmower for bottom cleaning. Hmmm might become a new kind of dinghy anchor. Uh oh, there goes the thread.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 18:20   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Yes to the flower boxes. And perhaps we can repurpose the old lawnmower for bottom cleaning. Hmmm might become a new kind of dinghy anchor. Uh oh, there goes the thread.
And your white picket fence needs a nautical gate to ease entry and exit the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0554f193310fa4c78128804e0a840483.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	183586  
Old 09-01-2019, 18:28   #44

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Are you sure this refers to recreational boats? Normally most countries only include operational regs for commercial boats, eg what PAID crew should be asked to do. For recreational boats they offer safety GUIDLINES but it is up to you if you want to follow them (but may have insurgence & liability implications).

But them I am Canadian, we tend to believe a role should be left for Darwin...
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 18:52   #45

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Are you sure this refers to recreational boats? Normally most countries only include operational regs for commercial boats, eg what PAID crew should be asked to do. For recreational boats they offer safety GUIDLINES but it is up to you if you want to follow them (but may have insurgence & liability implications).

But them I am Canadian, we tend to believe a role should be left for Darwin...
We have a faction in the US that needs cradle to grave had holding to prevent Darwins wrath.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, inflatable, legal, minnesota