Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2010, 11:11   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
Mooring Ball Question

Hi all, just a quick question regarding mooring balls in the BVI. If you want to stay at a particular mooring field for more than one night but want to go out and sail for a few hours maybe lunch at a different anchorage but intend to return can you "save" your ball with the dingy or is that a frowned upon procedure.

Thanks Will
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 12:01   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
For me I am not sure public mooring buoys are there for you to reserve in this way.

Try it from the other side......How would you feel if you arrived with a need to tie up, and found all the places all 'reserved' with dinghies. Would you frown upon what the others had done or found it OK?

To me I find this a bit like the Germananic trait of creeping out early hours to cover sunbeads around the hotel pool so as to 'reserve' space for after breakfast.

Nothing really wrong with it provided no one gets upset if you remove the towel / or tie up to the dinghy as the spot is clearly not being used.........but one can argue the case when you (or they) return.

But IMHO the mooring buoys are not there not to be used - and to try and stop other sailors using them when you are not, is not good 'form'. In my view of course.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 20-04-2010, 12:25   #3

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Another point of view: how long do you really want to leave your beautiful dinghy unattended, even in daylight?

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 14:12   #4

Boat: 50 Bene
Kinda figured as much just wanted to ask. I guess the whole idea of racing around trying to get a good ball in the afternoon would be somewhat stressful. Anyway to alleviate this we plan to get an early start each morning and plan to be moored or anchored by 2ish each day.

Will
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 15:05   #5

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Hi all, just a quick question regarding mooring balls in the BVI. If you want to stay at a particular mooring field for more than one night but want to go out and sail for a few hours maybe lunch at a different anchorage but intend to return can you "save" your ball with the dingy or is that a frowned upon procedure.
We only saw that once this year at Jost and, if there were no other mooring balls available, I'd have definitely been pissed. If you arrive between 13:00 and 14:00, you should have no problem.

Have Fun!

Tags
mooring