Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2020, 10:55   #16

Re: mooring buoys Canada

Each Province has its own laws.

This is for Alberta.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/U01P5.pdf

https://www.alberta.ca/unclaimed-property.aspx

http://https://unclaimedpropertybc.c...rty-landscape/

The Canadian Unclaimed Property Landscape
Unclaimed property laws vary considerably from province-to-province in Canada.

Modern Canadian unclaimed property laws are based on the Uniform Law Conference of Canada’s Uniform Unclaimed Intangible Property Act (UUIPA) that was drafted in 2003. The UUIPA was designed “to provide a harmonized legislative scheme for the consideration of those provinces and territories which may wish to enact unclaimed property legislation.” Though parts of the UUIPA have been incorporated into provincial unclaimed property programs, each province has a different structure dictating which property types holders are required to report, when dormant accounts are officially designated “unclaimed,” due diligence requirements, reporting requirements and enforcement.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:16   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmyhunny View Post
There are in fact a great many complications to this issue; to avoid writing a very long post explaining the details thus far I have not done so. This boat has been on my buoy for a very long time, over a year. Yes there are many possibilities as to what is going on for all I know the owner may have died, though I think his phone contract would have worn out at some point and I wouldn’t be able to leave messages. Marine law is very old witch I guess is why the various agencies point back and forth. One such law it that you can’t cut a boat loose, marina’s often have issues with abandon boats, not being able to collect the moorage and not being able to cut it free and not being able to declare it salvage and deal with it. I understand that mooring buoys can be debated as well but at the moment I’m just trying to see what advice others have for me, I’m at a loss so far.
OK, so a year is a long time. I assumed you were talking a recent event. And this boat has never left in the year it's been there? If so, then is sure seems like it has been abandoned.

What did the police say? The CG? Can you do as Montana suggests and move it to the CG dock?

Apparently there is an Abandoned Boat Programme that does remove such craft. Not sure how effective it is.

There is a website on the Capital REgional District site which addresses abandoned boats:

https://www.crd.bc.ca/service/commun...d-boat-program

The feds have their Wrecked, Abandoned or Hazardous Vessels Act which also has a reporting mechanism. Not sure what they do, but there is a phone number to call.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/abandoned-boats-wrecks-4454.html

Old 11-03-2020, 11:28   #18

Where is this/your buoy located?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:15   #19

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I wouldn’t want to cut free a boat on my mooring. The cops would come straight to me, talk to me, and undoubted arrest me.

So I wouldn’t do it.

I’d mention to friends that an unoccupied boat is on my mooring. Then I’m Schultz.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 13:11   #20

Boat: 46 Maple Leaf

Comox Valley
meandmyhunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 13:12   #21

RCMP state not there jurisdiction I have been playing this game for over a year this is my desperate attempt thinking I'm not the only person this has happened to.
Old 11-03-2020, 19:36   #22

Boat: Sabre 402

Could you find out from the authorities whose boat it is, and send them a bill for renting your mooring? After a while the charges would mount up and you might be able to legally take possession of the boat for the unpaid fees. Then you could sell it (or donate it to a charity and let them sell it?) Lengthy, but all above-board. Can you raft up your boat next to the squatter in the meantime?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 20:38   #23

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
RCMP state not there jurisdiction I have been playing this game for over a year this is my desperate attempt thinking I'm not the only person this has happened to.

Perhaps it is time to take your bat and ball and go home , in this case YOUR mooring ball and it's associated apparatus.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 20:57   #24

I'd hire a guy ...a problem solver so to speak.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 21:25   #25

Boat: Corbin 39

I would call the cops , marine cops can deal with him , as long as your mooting is legal
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:08   #26

A year???!!! Board it, after a year it's abandoned regardless of cause. No one cares about it. Maybe it was stolen... And should it sink eventually you'll have more to worry about. Determine if its anchor/ride/chain is functional, and if so unhook it from your mooring and anchor it somewhere it won't cause further problems. You didn't cast it adrift.

Surprised no one has posted the CDN govts abandoned boats pages, here ya go...

Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 13:03   #27

Update, no authority seems to want to take responsibility, however the coast guard has provided me the paper work to have the boat declared abandon and take over responsibility of the boat witch I unfortunately already have since I will be held responsible should it sink on my buoy or even come loose from it and become a problem. I of course just wanted the dam thing off my buoy and really would like the owner to take the responsibility. I have only just seen photos of it recently and do not even have enough good photos to know what to think as I don’t live where the buoy is at the moment. To answer one of the questions it doesn’t seem to have an anchor so moving it to its own anchor doesn’t seem to be an option either.
Old 12-03-2020, 13:14   #28

Quote:
Update, no authority seems to want to take responsibility, however the coast guard has provided me the paper work to have the boat declared abandon and take over responsibility of the boat witch I unfortunately already have since I will be held responsible should it sink on my buoy or even come loose from it and become a problem. I of course just wanted the dam thing off my buoy and really would like the owner to take the responsibility. I have only just seen photos of it recently and do not even have enough good photos to know what to think as I don’t live where the buoy is at the moment. To answer one of the questions it doesn’t seem to have an anchor so moving it to its own anchor doesn’t seem to be an option either.
The inclusion of vicarious liability being another reason to reconsider installing private moorings. Direct responsibility as to the device being navigation hazards is of obvious concern. Not unlike owning a dock, it becomes your benefit and responsibility. Always a case of costs and benefits.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 13:36   #29

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I would definitely unhook the boat, bring it to the coast guard dock, and let them handle the boat, you found adrift.
Good luck.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 12-03-2020, 14:34   #30

Ok, since it's been on your mooring a year, do a legit coast guard claim on it, and put the f**ker on EBay, no reserve auction. Out of curiosity not for me, I'm on the east coast, far east, what is the boat, how well is it kitted out, is the lead keel worth salvaging? Perhaps opportunity is knocking. Good luck, regardless.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, mooring