Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2020, 20:16   #46

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: mooring buoys Canada

On Salt Spring Island we call the Harbour Master, he moves the boat, thus people don’t use other’s buoys.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 20:22   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hey Wilson, whereyaat? I'm based in Lewistporte. Always nice to chat with another Newfoundlander.

I know this is not the intent of this thread, but yes! As I complained earlier, all too often these private moorings clog up all the good anchorage space. And too many sit empty a lot of the time. It's tantamount to using pylons to block out a personal parking space on a public road.

I understand the reason why someone might want a mooring. But all too often these damnable things are placed in such a way that blocks other people from anchoring. Put them very near shore, or way out at the edge. Don't just drop them in the middle of the anchorage!
On the west coast of Canada, often called the left coast you need permission to place a private buoy, it is reviewed before you receive license for placing it, it can’t impede traffic. In many bays more can anchor because the moored boats take up less room.......
Old 16-03-2020, 20:38   #48

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
On the west coast of Canada, often called the left coast you need permission to place a private buoy, it is reviewed before you receive license for placing it, it can’t impede traffic. In many bays more can anchor because the moored boats take up less room.......

Permission from who?
Old 16-03-2020, 20:54   #49

Boat: 46 Maple Leaf

more update. I didn’t start this post to debate mooring buoys either legally or morally, frankly that debate could be into some very deep water (pun intended). I did start this post to hear ideas and advice pertaining directly to my issue. The coast guard suggested I go through the process of attempting to have it declared abandoned, and unfortunately take position of it, then as mention there is potential financial assistance to deal with it, my way would be to offer it to anyone who might take it, I just want it gone, I don’t want another boat. I unfortunately need more information on the boat so ether I get up there and investigate it more or get more photos. cheers and thanks every one for your ideas and thoughts.
meandmyhunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 07:28   #50

In all a civilised country, like Canada, there exists a minority, thanks God, of uncivilised individuals! And most of the times there is on no use to explain them that they are wrong. It is useless to sing to a deaf, useless to show a Picasso or Rembrandt to a blind!

The mooring is really yours? You have fitted it with Crown Authority permission?
If on these two questions your reply is YES, NOTHING forbids you to take YOUR mooring and place it few dozen yards away.

Anything else, boat drifting or grounding or whatever, is not important an totally irrelevant to you.

I’ve asked many years ago to my neighbour to take care oboist his cows in order that these doesn’t get in my garden. He told me that I came to live in a rural area and that it’s up to me to protect me lawn
, vegetables ang plantations. I’ve taken it to the letter. At the first occasion I’ve opened my main gate and conducted the two cows out to the mai road. The two crossed the road, went to the truck drivers restaurant terras where the food was far better than in my garden. The restaurant owner went bezerk, over the top and he took less than three minutes to solve the problem with the cow owner: he took his dozen of goats and has placed then to the neighborur’s flowered garden!
Navre had a problem agai.
Sasha47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:01   #51

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha47 View Post
In all a civilised country, like Canada, there exists a minority, thanks God, of uncivilised individuals! And most of the times there is on no use to explain them that they are wrong. It is useless to sing to a deaf, useless to show a Picasso or Rembrandt to a blind!

The mooring is really yours? You have fitted it with Crown Authority permission?
If on these two questions your reply is YES, NOTHING forbids you to take YOUR mooring and place it few dozen yards away.

Anything else, boat drifting or grounding or whatever, is not important an totally irrelevant to you.

I’ve asked many years ago to my neighbour to take care oboist his cows in order that these doesn’t get in my garden. He told me that I came to live in a rural area and that it’s up to me to protect me lawn
, vegetables ang plantations. I’ve taken it to the letter. At the first occasion I’ve opened my main gate and conducted the two cows out to the mai road. The two crossed the road, went to the truck drivers restaurant terras where the food was far better than in my garden. The restaurant owner went bezerk, over the top and he took less than three minutes to solve the problem with the cow owner: he took his dozen of goats and has placed then to the neighborur’s flowered garden!

Very zen and kung ** solution. Move with the water, allow it to flow past unimpeded, use the opponent's strength (cow's appetite) to your benefit. I approve!
Flagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:03   #52

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Guess I'm not allowed to write **. ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **. I can do this all day. ** ** **
Flagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:12   #53

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Permission from who?
Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations. - The sea bed in BC is provincial jurisdiction, therefore a provincial ministry issues the licence. You will find many mooring buoys and dock are illegal on the coast as they do not have the authorisation to be there.

The inner coastal water column is seen as federal jurisdiction but that is open to interpretation and still needs to be resolved.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:14   #54

Quote:
Permission from who?
Coast Guard and the Province.....and some places the Harbour Master has a say.....
Old 17-03-2020, 11:18   #55

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Coast Guard and the Province.....and some places the Harbour Master has a say.....
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...ses/marine-q-a
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:19   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha47 View Post

Wrong, you can’t move a mooring without going through the whole application process again, and they would deny your application because there is a licensed mooring very near and moving may restrict movement in the area.....
Old 17-03-2020, 11:21   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
I presently have a legal mooring and have had several other legal moorings in the past..... I made all the applications myself, I know the drill
Old 17-03-2020, 11:30   #58

This would be the proper information.....

https://www.csrd.bc.ca/sites/default...ivateBuoys.pdf
Old 17-03-2020, 13:19   #59

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
This would be the proper information.....
https://www.csrd.bc.ca/sites/default...ivateBuoys.pdf
So, it clearly indicates private moorings are under the jurisdiction of the feds, so following the various Acts and regulations I found this online registry of approved projects, some of which are private moorings. You can search for "mooring" to find just 139 approved (and none in the Comox area).

This, of course, is the tiniest fraction of private moorings out there. Is there another registry, or something else?

I've always thought that as long as one complied with the specifications of the Private Buoy Regulations, that any citizen was allowed to place a mooring for their own personal use. A reading of this regulation does not indicate the need to register.

My searches further turned up this analysis from a law firm (which I think someone quoted from earlier): Private Mooring Buoys and Anchorages – How is the Wild West to be Regulated?

The summary goes:

Quote:
Firstly, the Province does not issue leases for mooring buoys, but this does not mean that a mooring can be placed on Crown land (seabed) other than for a “reasonable time, for a reasonable purpose” without it being trespass. After all, that anchor or buoy, if left for an unreasonable time or an unreasonable purpose, is utilizing common property and depriving others of such use. Secondly, arguably that mooring buoy is the personal property of an individual, and attaching an unauthorized vessel to it is trespass to that person’s personal property. The paradox is that, at the same time, that buoy may be trespassing on Crown seabed. This begs the question – who is less in the wrong: the person trespassing on another’s buoy, or the owner of the buoy trespassing on public property? These are issues that can only be answered definitively once the courts have considered them.
So I'm generally more confused than when I started .

P.S. I am sorry for this drift, although the title of the thread is "mooring buoys of Canada".
Old 17-03-2020, 13:50   #60

Mike

The Governments would never let YOU (anyone) place an obstruction to navigation without due review and processes. I moor off a Municipal park some people don’t like it, the powers that be saw no problem so allowed me to place my mooring.......

I don’t believe there is a list of moorings, to check a mooring’s validity you have to see the paperwork on the specific buoy.

Tags
Canada, mooring