Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 19:40   #16
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Motor Sailing Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
...we have routinely displayed the anchor ball for some years now, but do not display (or even own) the motorsailing cone. I have never seen a recreational vessel with that symbol displayed in any of the many countries and regions that we have sailed in.

We are slightly over the 12 meter length, so could be cited, I guess... but I doubt if any of the water cops have heard about that revenue stream! Meanwhile, I have better things to worry about!
We'll agree with Jim on every point above. Learned the cone signal when preparing for M5 orals, but it wasn't examined (perhaps another sign that the 'authorities' either don't know or aren't interest...or know it would be impossible to enforce!?) and we haven't given it a thought since.

We strictly abided international flags (courtesy and Q) when o'seas, but the only flags that see a workout with us these days are the Aussie Red Ensign and, when the Admiral feels like a drink or two, up go the 'Splice The Mainbrace' flags...

Click image for larger version

Name:	splice the mainbrace & yards.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	83446

Splice The Mainbrace Flags, Floating Impressions ...and now with FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!! Just sayin...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 01:14   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I suspect the "motorsailing cone" was considered a good idea when large sailboats with auxiliary engines were still considered rare.

Then I could see situations where 2 closing sailboats (one with mechanical propulsion) would misinterpret the others intentions and capabilities..... So this was a practical signal solution when pure Sailing ships were still at work.

Nowadays I think many power vessels assume that the sailboat is motorsailing in normal passage lanes and just watch with interest...their intent ..

Skippering Super yachts I have watched guys motor sailing... Then change course for a closer look and turn off engine when on a collision course to assume legal rights.

Of course we took avoiding action and waved back with the appropriate prominent digit.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 03:38   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Carsten, I must admit curiosity: how do the policing agents know that you have your propeller engaged when they fine you? Seems a bit hard to prove in many cases... Just wondering...
Jim
There's a well-known bridge in Germany where the police lie in wait, similar to the stereotypical cop behind a roadside billboard, to fine the unwary sailors that motorsail without displaying the correct inverted cone dayshape. There's usually good wind until you get to just before the bridge, when it dies down; once past the bridge there's good wind again. So usually sailors will keep the sails up, motor under the bridge, and then continue to sail. Unless they don't display their dayshape, in which case they get delayed while the Wasserschutzpolizei check paperwork and issue a fine.

Here in the Caribbean all of the professionally skippered boats display anchor balls. I enjoy doing it as well and always display my black round dayshape at anchor, just for grins - and have been asked by other sailors why I hoist a radar reflector when at anchor... I've also displayed the inverted cone when motorsailing, but that's too much work here.

It is funny to look at those massive cruise ships and see that they, too, put up a dayshape when at anchor, the round ball looks miniscule but is probably huge!

Old 26-06-2014, 03:55   #19

Surprised to learn about the cultural divide.

I routinely use the motorsailing cone as well as anchor ball. The cone gets hoisted above the foredeck where it is visible from both sides. It would be considered pretty bad form in the UK not to display one, and most boats will have a ball and cone on board - plastic slot together things which pack flat and cost next no nothing.
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sail, sailing