Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 09:09   #1

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
Name/Hailing Port markings

We recently purchased a boat in Fla. It was USCG documented and we are changing the name and redocumenting. No big problems there. Interestingly, the PO did not have a hailing port marked on the boat. Here is the question: Does the hailing port lettering have to be directly under the boat name? For aesthetic reasons we'd like to put the name on the side, i.e., on both sides of the boat and the hailing port on the transom. The USCG website implies that the name and hailing port have to be together but it isn't very clearly stated. I called the USCG Documentation Center in WVa. They are very helpful but they really understand the paperwork not the nitty gritty of markings.

Does anyone have any experience with this or knowledge? I have thought of calling the USCG somewhere along the Fla coast and perhaps the USCG Auxiliary and seeing if they know. I'd hate to get extra scrutiny by the local gendarmes (of any type) just for a trivial thing like this.

Thanks
Bill
Bill_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
They need..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlearl View Post
Here is the question: Does the hailing port lettering have to be directly under the boat name?
According to the USCG yes they must be together. However, I can't recall anyone ever being citied for this. On my old Catalina I had the set up you describe and went through a voluntary USCG inspection to get the "bug off guys" sticker. They made NO mention of the size of my hailing port letters, about 2.75 inches not 4", and no mention that the name was on port & stbd quarters and the hailing port on the transom. I knew it was not technically legal but did it anyway and had no problems. I suppose I could have been cited but it never happened..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlearl View Post
For aesthetic reasons we'd like to put the name on the side, i.e., on both sides of the boat and the hailing port on the transom. The USCG website implies that the name and hailing port have to be together but it isn't very clearly stated. I called the USCG Documentation Center in WVa. They are very helpful but they really understand the paperwork not the nitty gritty of markings.

I don't know I think it's fairly clearly worded "The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together": (Link to this wording)

Copied and pasted from USCG:
Quote:
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.
It's up to your comfort level. If you're comfortable then go for it. I can assure you that about 90% of the boats out on the water could be citied for SOMETHING!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:31   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473
My best friends boat has no room on the transom for both name and hailing port. So..the hailing port is on the stern in the appropriate sized block letters and the name is on the side.
The CG has been on the boat as have the local marine police. The boat is obviously documented as there are no state numbers. The markings have never been questioned.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote