Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 12:06   #166

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: New Zealand Arrival Levy

$10? Lets say an hourly rate for the person looking after this is $65.... whole thing has to be created, processed, emailed, receipt of funds sorted on someones puter in under 10 minutes to break even.....

This departure thing will only be an issue for the next 2 years as anyone who arrives after 1/1/16 will pay the lot on arrival in NZ... still a silly thing wanting direct bank deposit.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:09   #167
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Do any of you guys understand how much hassle El Pinguino's going to have in order to pay his $3.81? Special trip to the bank, because the bill has to be paid in Kiwi funds--for which there is a flat rate charge. I don't know what that is in Chile, but in New Caledonia, foreign funds bank cheques have a flate rate, that at the time we did it was $50.00. This was for a bank cheque for just about a similar amount.

The Kiwis should make the fee payable right then, because everybody who checks out is going to be somewhere outside their country, when the bill is received--if it is-- or make it payable on arrival along with the rest. It won't work. At some point somebody'll just not pay, or possibly, pay when they go back to NZ, if they do.

Well, Ping, I hope you had 'em send the bill to Oz, and someone here takes care of it for you, maybe round up and send it all in five cent pieces? No, I know, costs too much postage then! What an aggro!

Sorry about your calorifier!

Ann
Ann - I agree that they would be well served to accept cash or card, but really bank transfer is not that hard, I can do an international bank transfer sitting at my computer, if your bank can't allow that then change banks, I haven't actually used a bank for 25 years, been with the same Credit Union and haven't paid a bank fee in that time either.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:56   #168

For the record I don't object to paying arrival/departure fees if they are reasonable as is the case here.

However I just checked and for me to send $10 from my Oz bank to NZ would incur a $20 fee plus whatever the NZ bank chose to charge plus they offer a truly mega crappo exchange rate.

This new NZ fee is an exercise in total futility on all sides.

What I use to move money around is the the outfit previously known as Ozforex, minimim $1000, $10 fee. No fee over $10K and an excellent exchange rate.

Ping.. supporting the NZ economy since 2014
Old 07-01-2016, 13:16   #169
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Paypal??
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:35   #170

Boat: Cape Dory 36, Benford 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
PETE'S right ! We, the users should pay and be happy doing so.
There sure are some tight-assed bastards around.
Back on thread...is Cook Strait the go for west to east or is around the top a better option for Noo Zulland? PING ??
I have done the trip from Nelson along the west coast (stayed well offshore, just west of the rhumb line) aroung North Cape few times now but have never gone "around the back".
For one it's shorter, second I have experienced more stable ,as in direction, winds along the west coast.
Plus you don't really have to deal with Cook Strait, which can be daunting at times.
At the other hand, if you treat it as a cruise, rather than a passage, the trip East offers you the opportunity to stop at places you would normally not visit.
latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:54   #171

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

THANK YOU LATKA !!
And Latka, if you have spare 50 qwud or 20 dollars....any currency, ANY bloody amount really, would you give to Punguino ??
Please help because I dont ever want to be asked by The Forum for HUGE amounts of money to bail Pung out of the Ret House.
Now Latika, let me know when you saved Pung and I'll pay your account, whatever you say you gave him, by Pay Pal PLUS 50%....just to pacify the old b......er Fella, puttin' a bit o' braed on 'is teble. Cos I got heart.
LAT, you do it, I trust you implicitly (whatever that means) . Just ask and I give it to yer.
Waiting for you "invoice"....
Brian Laura....hope this readable ...cant see script too well.?..
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:58   #172

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I can do an international bank transfer sitting at my computer, if your bank can't allow that then change banks, I haven't actually used a bank for 25 years, been with the same Credit Union and haven't paid a bank fee in that time either.
It's not just the hassle, it's the cost. How much in AUD would it actually cost you to put about NZD10 into an NZ account including your bank's fees? I really doubt that your Credit Union will do international transfers without fees.

(I know it would be about AUD30 if I did it from my Aus Westpac account - And a lot more if I do it from my PNG bank ).

And of course the receiving bank will probably take $5-10 out of any received funds for their processing fees. I doubt that the NZ Govt will see much out of this from any visitor leaving the country who doesn't have an NZ bank account.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:58   #173

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Been to Marlborough Sounds area by biclcle. I think STRAIT should be a nice lurking ground.
Old 07-01-2016, 17:56   #174

I have just been advised that it could be paid by Mcard/Visa... I'm starting to understand how guinea pigs feel.

All sorted but still needs the email of invoice to make it all work.

Incurred a 'Westpac convenience fee' of 19c on the deal.
Old 07-01-2016, 18:40   #175

PHEW !!!
Thank God for that.
Hallelujah !!
Truly, no crap, happy for you EL PINGUINO:.
A major problem sorted out ny the resident CF Gurus (yes, I know, of which I am NOT one!)
Onya Ping.

Tags
New Zealand