Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 18:31   #61

Boat: Stevens 47
Yeah I've been trying to find something on the Cat 1 regs too....to NO avail....must be a VERY closely guarded state secret!!!!!....I wanted to bring the new boat up to scratch while we are still upgrading things here before we leave.....oh well.......
Old 11-07-2007, 00:39   #62

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Hi Rangiroo,
you won't need it to come home to NZ. Only if you decide to leave from NZ to go offshore. You can travel all over NZ to other NZ locations without being Cat 1.
Bloody ridiculous really...
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 00:58   #63

Quote:
I am paying around the $1200 mark. But she's 45ft and I am just happy I got the FC insured at all. At least I don't have to worry about hitting a mega dollar boat. Which means I probably won't ever hit one now I ain't worried about it.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:58   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You have to buy the book to get the Catergory regulations. But if I understand it corrdctly, it is mostly a copy of International offshore racing regulations anyway. I can't remember what the proper abbreviation is, but it is either ISAF or RORC or one of those outfits that our NZ Cat regs are basicly written from.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 17:30   #65

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I hear the regs are shortly to be available on line.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 21:28   #66

It is really pretty poor that they are not already online. It is all supposed to be in the interest of safety, yet they go and make it so you have to buy their stupid rule book to see how to comply. Seems a bit daft really.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 22:46   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Let me guess...

Now let me guess.

Al this has come about because of some very expensive rescues so we end up with unavailable rules with no clear guide lines on their implementation?

No funding to implement?

Do this suggest that there are not going to be too many people who will want to be involved?

After all, passing a boat that later has a problem brings in legal questions. Who is liable?

Failing a boat that is mostly seaworthy is going to bring hassles, and if real money is involved, legal issues.

Why don't they do what everyone else does and make insurance mandatory? Then let the insurance companies sort out the problem.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 00:29   #68

I am at present trying to get a copy of the "maritime" regulations as opposed to the "racing" regulations. As an international visitor it would seem beholden on any country to freely make available its rules and regulations if they have an expectation that their visitors are going to comply. To only have the rules available at a cost in the form of a "sports" publication containing extra information not pertanent to the NZ governments Maritime requirements seems extremely odd.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 01:03   #69

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I have been very critical of YNZ in the past so I think this time, rather than berate them for taking so long, I'll just congratulate them for finally getting them online (when it happens).
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 02:07   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Insurance part of that proposal is easy to answer. Most Marine insurance is out to the 200mile marker. NZ's rescue area is far beyond that. So it would be impossible to insure against.
As for liability, well that is covered by the fact that there is a list of requirements to meet. You meet those requirments before you head off. If something happens, then as long as the requirements were met, no one is accountable to anything. It's the old story of all care and no resposiblity.
The fact that so far you have had to buy the rules is really (well IMO anyway) a mirror of the beaurocratic BS or an organisation that gets set up in this country. NZ is a land of "User pays". You can also interpret that as "suckers pay". But we have no alternative but to pay, get our little book of rules, set the boat up and have it inspected and off we go into the wild blue yonder following the Sunset over the Horizon.
Now in all fairness, the requirements mostly, are actually good common sense and I feel much better having my boat set up with those requirments. There are just a couple of points that seem to go a little overboard, but from what I have heard, those real sticky rules apply to the one off true blue racing vessels. Just so as you understand that comment, our Cat 1 requirments are actually Racing requirements that also cover recreational boats leaving NZ.

Old 13-07-2007, 02:10   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Coops, I was typing while you had posted, so I didn't see your reply in time. But see my comment at the end of my post. There is no maritime requirements. It is the offshore racing rules.

Old 13-07-2007, 02:28   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Alan: Are these the Offshore Rules, to which you allude?

International Sailing Federation (ISAF) Rules and Regulations: ISAF - ISAF Rules and Regulations

Including:

ISAF Offshore Special Regulations:
Governing offshore racing for monohulls and multihulls, structural features, yacht equipment, personal equipment and training. Click on the links below to view the ISAF Offshore Special Regulations, Appendicies and Interpretations.
ISAF - ISAF Offshore Special Regulations

etc ...

Yachting New Zealand: Yachting New Zealand
President: Rex Sellers
Chief Executive: Des Brennan
PO Box 91 209
AMSC
Auckland, NEW ZEALAND
Tel: + 64 9 361 1471
Fax: + 64 9 360 2246
Email: mail@yachtingnz.org.nz

Yachting New Zealand Racing Rules of Sailing & Safety Regulations 2005 - 2008

The International Sailing Federation (ISAF) Racing Rules of Sailing with Yachting New Zealand prescriptions, safety regulations and other information 2005-2008 is available for $23.00 per copy or $16.50 if you are a member of a Yacht Club affiliated to YNZ.

To order your copy, please contact Yachting New Zealand - telephone (09) 361 1471 or email mail@yachtingnz.org.nz Alternately, you can download an order form and send it in to Yachting New Zealand.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 12:37   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think so. Pete, if your reading, yur going through Cat 1 now aren't you. Want to take a look and comment???

Old 13-07-2007, 14:43   #74

Boat: Trismus 37
these regs only apply to NZ registered yachts / boats, they only valid until your first landfall, ie, Tonga / Fiji etc. They did try to make them applicable to foreign flags as well but one (American?) took the time and money to challenge them and the requirement for other than NZ boats to comply was withdrawn. As Alan says they are basically common sense, Although recommending that you carry a pregnancy testing kit is a little over the top or maybe they have a sense of humour. We must all remember that SAFETY is now a reasonably large industry and needs to keep its profile high and themselves employed. They can't allow us to be responsible for ourselves as that would be irresponsible.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 20:28   #75
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I believe the NZ regs are pretty much standard with the rest of the world's EXCEPT that they also apply to NZ registered vessels clearing customs to cruise not race. If a foreign yacht is arriving or deaprting NZ as part of a sanctoned race then Cat 1 regulations from whatever country is race organiser apply so no problem. If the yacht is not racing but cruising and is not NZ registered then pretty much anything goes. As long as it doesn't look in imminent danger of sinking then the authorities won't be much interested in you. enquiries@maritimenz.govt.nz Try this email address for specific answers, they always seem to give prompt, concise answers,
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand