Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2012, 10:59   #61

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: Not a resident of anywhere buy my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
What does it cost?
You can find it on their web site under Directory of Mail Services.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 321 - 32'

[QUOTE=diadema111;1000678]I am anticipating these same problems when we leave the land based life.

Registering to vote in Florida is also the trigger for jury summons.

QUOTE]

I live in Florida and always thought it was voter registration, so I didn't register for a couple decades. THEN, I got a jury summons. When I went for the first day, they actually explained it is done thru driver licenses. That doesn't explain why I've been called twice and my friend has never been called. Florida also has absentee ballots for those out of the area.
sloopygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:07   #63

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Not a Resident of Anywhere Buy My Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by diadema111 View Post
I am anticipating these same problems when we leave the land based life.

Registering to vote in Florida is also the trigger for jury summons.
I received Jury Summons from Florida last Fall while we were still crusing Mexico.

I called the CLay County Court House and the phone was anwered on the second ring by a real person who connected me to another real person in charge of the Jury Pool.

After telling her I was retired, cruising on a sailboat and did not expect to be back in Florida for at least five years, she dismissed me over the telephone.

The woman was very helpful and curtious... Which was a stark contrast to the California Court System, which will not take telephone calls or do dimissals without you making an apperence.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 19:08   #64

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diadema111 View Post
---
Some states do tax Social Security benefits ---
Which states are those?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:36   #65

Boat: DeFever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike

Which states are those?
Any state without a state income tax. Florida Texas and Nevada to name a few. But Uncle Sam still takes his share.
ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:38   #66

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaugh View Post
Any state without a state income tax. Florida Texas and Nevada to name a few. But Uncle Sam still takes his share.
I don't think you comprehended my post. I was questioning a previous poster as to his comment about some states taxing social security.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:23   #67

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaugh View Post
Change that to most any State WITH an income tax. However it is not cut and dry as generally what happens is the States WITH an Income Tax system "piggyback" the Federal "IRS" Income Tax system by taking your Federal Tax due and wanting a percentage of that for themselves. This saves the State all the hassles of multiple forms and other complications. In short, the State just says give us XX% of what you paid the IRS. However, there are usually some exemptions or exclusions in the State system to avoid stuff that is "tax-exempt" in the particular State.

To avoid all the paperwork grief and hassles, just find a State that does not have an Income Tax or Personal Property Tax. And then you will just be paying the Federal taxes.

And of course, Social Security is taxable by the "Fed's" depending upon your total income level. Most other sources of pension income is taxable
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 17:03   #68

Boat: DeFever 44
Osirissail, Thanks for helping clarify my post! Bob
ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 15:04   #69

Useful thread before it gets political around page 3. This has prompted me to write about maintaining a mailing address and related services on my MoneyButNoFixedAbode nomad blog. You can tie in mailing scanners with virtual phone numbers and so forth.
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 15:22   #70

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Back to the OP I have done a fair bit of research on this, and as far as I can tell if you are a citizen of the USA you are domiciled in some state, whether you want to be or not. You only can have one domicile, which is the term used to designate the place in the USA which will be your tax home unless and until you establish a new domicile somewhere else. Even if you don't consider it as such, once you become a nomad the authorities will consider the last fixed place you existed as your domicile forever more, until you establish a new one. In other words, let's say you set sail from California, and sail around the world for the next 30 years. Unless you somehow renounce your USA citizenship, California can claim you as a resident as that is your domicile, until you establish a new domicile somewhere else. Look up the term "domicile" to read more.
Old 20-12-2012, 07:47   #71

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

JereMiason: You know, I have some difficulty believing the jury selection process is completely random, whether or not the population for the pool is pulled from license bureau, voting record, or other selectors. My wife, two daughters, and myself have all been called in the past couple years. The courthouse building is downtown, in the capitol of the state I live in .... (i.e. plenty of others to choose from ...)
Old 21-12-2012, 01:14   #72
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell
Back to the OP I have done a fair bit of research on this, and as far as I can tell if you are a citizen of the USA you are domiciled in some state, whether you want to be or not. You only can have one domicile, which is the term used to designate the place in the USA which will be your tax home unless and until you establish a new domicile somewhere else. Even if you don't consider it as such, once you become a nomad the authorities will consider the last fixed place you existed as your domicile forever more, until you establish a new one. In other words, let's say you set sail from California, and sail around the world for the next 30 years. Unless you somehow renounce your USA citizenship, California can claim you as a resident as that is your domicile, until you establish a new domicile somewhere else. Look up the term "domicile" to read more.
And that concept applies in just about every country.

Nor am I sure of where people get their facts. In the UK, when you qualify for the State Pension, you can claim it even if you live abroad. In many countries you can claim your UK pension through reciprocal arrangement with that countries social welfare system. For example in Ireland you can draw down you UK pension through a local Post Office.

Not to go on about politics.

Firstly you have to have a domicile. Until you have a new one , you remain at the old one. Secondly of course you should receive your welfare entitlements , irrespective of where you live, except those that require you to be in the country, like dole
etc.

As to whether its a Ponzi scheme. That depends on decisions we as a society make concerning taxes and there spending. In many countries social welfare employer and employee contributions only partially fund these schemes. The rest is made up from general taxation.

It's a mark of a society, as to how it treats its elderly. Even if you screw up your private pension ( or have it screwed up by others for you ) Society needs to ensure that you are not found sleeping in a doorway at 70. That's right and proper and a proportion of my taxes go to that end. And it's one that I approve. ( even if you cruise off with it !!)

Dave
Old 21-12-2012, 01:42   #73

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I'm not a tax attorney, but I was a CPA for many years and this is the way I always understood it. We had a case once where the client moved from Maryland to Jordan and in the process tried to move their domicile to Texas since they have no state tax. Maryland when after the client big time trying to prove the client had not established a new domicile in Texas and was therefore still a Maryland domicile. It was a long battle which we eventually won, but you have to prove you have a new domicile; otherwise you still belong to the old one.
Old 21-12-2012, 02:58   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
We're residents of the Turks and Caicos, and US citizens, and pay fed taxes and vote absentee, but what we don't do is get most of our mail. The US postal service has real problems forwarding mail here. We estimate we might get about 40% of it. The problem, judging by the stamps on the envelopes we do receive is that someone in the USPS sees "Turks" and sends the mail to Frankfurt, Germany, which I guess is the next official US mail stop on the way to Turkey. Then the people in Germany apparently often see the word Islands and forward the mail that was headed for Turkey to Iceland. We've received letters that went from Miami to Frankfurt to Reykjavik several times. we commonly get some of our christmas cards in April and May. And we don't know how much mail we never see at all.
You should have fewer problems with mail delivery if "West Indies" were the last line of your mailing address.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 03:04   #75

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I hope the US will smarten up like the Uk and NZ and stop paying government benefits to those living overseas! These monies are meant not just to support retired folks but put money back into the local economies.
An economists view of the world. Not everyone would see it in the same light I am guessing. I would think many would see this restriction as an undeserved constraint on the benefits for which they have been working for so many years. I think the social economic view is of very recent origin.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote