Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2011, 21:18   #1

Paperwork / Clearing In

OK, dumb question but when I read that I need to present my paperwork to C&I when clearing in, what exactly is needed. If the vessel is registered in Massachusetts USA and is not documented is that enough or if I am planning on sailing extensively out of the USA is more required. I appreciate the help for a newbie in this are. (contemplated sail is ICW to Carribean, thru the canal, Marquessas, Darwin and then we shall see from there.)
Jaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 23:49   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Paperwork or clearing in

Many countries will not accept a U.S. State registration, at least not officially. While you might not have problems, it only takes one officer one time to not accept the papers to get into a whole lot of problems.
When clearing in, at least in the Caribbean, all you are required to present is yourself, your passport, the clearance form from the last port of departure, your boat's registration. The U.S. does not normally issue the clearing-out form, but will if you ask for it; the BVI will let you clear in without papers if you state that your are coming from the USA.
I just re-read your post and see that you intend to stray further afield than the Caribbean, in which case you will most certainly need a national rather than a state registration.
Old 14-08-2011, 07:22   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Paperwork / Clearing In

This question keeps coming up. There may indeed be countries or individual officials who will not accept a state rego, but along the route from the West coast of the USA to Australia, with stops in 13 nations along the way no one has questioned or refused our state registration (in Illinois).

It simply has not been an issue. YMMV as in all things.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 14-08-2011, 07:40   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I suspect that outside of the US many countries port officials have no idea one way or the other. My experience is that any official looking registration is sufficient.

Dave
Old 14-08-2011, 21:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I suspect that outside of the US many countries port officials have no idea one way or the other. My experience is that any official looking registration is sufficient.

Dave
I tend to agree with this idea. I'm not sure some guy in Djibuti would know a title from a taco Bell receipt. Nonetheless, it doesnt seem like the cost to get a Federal Registration is that big a deal and certainly doesnt seem to be cost prohibitive. I really, really appreciate the help, guys. Thank you. Jim
Jaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 22:40   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I know that the Germans won't accept a state registration (I asked), and had heard that the Australians wouldn't, but that was anecdotal and Jim Cate's experience shows that it can be done.