Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2012, 08:25   #16

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: Penalty for staying aboard in marinas in FL!?

Fair play? Freedom? Free anchorage? Free anything?
WAKE UP!! YOU'RE HAVING A NIGHTMARE!!!!!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 15:16   #17

Boat: Catalina Capri 26'

You must have been tongue in cheek when you said, "The alternative is government control or ownership of the economy, not something I think any of us would advocate" Or, you have been away from the media for at least 3 years. It seems sadly that there are plenty of people that advocate exactly that.
MrGrauadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 15:51   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

When I lived aboard in Mission Bay (years ago) they had power meters, cable TV, phone service and water. We paid for everything except water whether or not you were a live aboard. And that's the way it should be, to maintain a good rep with the public IMHO.
Old 25-03-2012, 15:54   #19

Standard practice in San Diego. Usually around $100 per person, per month, in addition to all other charges.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 15:57   #20

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
My marina in Houston charges an extra $50 a month for liveaboards, but it's kind of a crap hole. The nicer places charge more.
Where is that? I am looking for a marina that allows livaboards in Houston area, Thanks.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 16:49   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee theres been live aboard fees for ever on the west coast!!depending on wether or not the electric is metered or not!! makes the difference in the price, it's higher if the power is not metered, the rest of the charges are for garbage water service ect seems fair to me !! down here in Louisiana at least in my area the docks are on folks waterfront on the bayous and are real cheap but all ya get is a couple of three good pileings and a small dock and a power meter and pole and 1 or 2 parking places maybe water maybe not but CHEAP 100 to 300 tops with much more to offer so ya gotta pay or go somewhere else ! ot much other choice Just my 2 cents
Old 25-03-2012, 18:09   #22

Boat: Looking for a new boat

I don't see what the fuss is about. Say you are a marina owner/ manager and you have a 50 boats paying $100/month just to be stored there. Then someone decides to move in to your marina. Not only do you have to see their ugly mug every day, now you need to have water, electric, showers, parking, and laundry.

What? As a live aboard do you expect that to all be for free? Live aboard fees have been around for a long time. We paid them in San Diego, we pay them in Boston. No big deal, you get what you pay for. If you don't like it go pick up a mooring.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 18:49   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharAndy View Post
Been trying to find a marina for a short stay in St. Pete or Clearwater, FL. Every marina is charging the regular per foot rate PLUS another $250 - $300 a month because we would be staying on the boat at the marina! What is this???
Never in our 4+ years of cruising in US waters from Canada to FL have we run into this. Is this a local thing or is FL now screwing all boaters????
For me your post is a little vague. If I assume the price per foot is per month and a liveaboard fee of $250 is added, I really don't find this too much. You're using electricity, water, showers, bathrooms and any other facility which requires maintenance. Here in Ca., it is the norm. Example:- for a 35ft. boat in Berkely, Ca. is $9 @ ft. per month. Then another $150 for liveaboard. A hotel would cost you $3000 a month.
You call it a penalty but is it? I think it's a fee. You're not a victim, you can move to somewhere else.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 06:32   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...........You call it a penalty but is it? I think it's a fee. You're not a victim, you can move to somewhere else.
It's good advice to shop around and maybe move. We recently spent a week at a marina in the Florida Keys where two marinas, about ten miles apart, had similar amenities. One was about $700 and the other $350 for the week. In addition, it should be noted that from Florida and up through the Chesapeake daily transient rates can be easily found from $1 to $2.50/foot/day, while from New Jersey north $2.50/ft/day is an inexpensive find. We usually find $8 to $11/foot/month in the southeast US, including Florida and moorings at $200 to $300/month. Unfortunately, many liveaboards are limited in their ability to select cheaper options because they need to be within a commuting range to their work.
Old 26-03-2012, 07:06   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
New Jersey north $2.50/ft/day is an inexpensive find.
This was certainly my experience when I spent a summer in New England. Decided I wasn't rich enough for that part of the world. When I was picking up crew for the trip south I thought it would be convenient to get a slip for a day or so while we were loading luggage and groceries. Best deal I could find was indeed $2.50/ft plus charge for AC power plus fees and taxes, total about $120. That's for one night for a place to tie my dock lines and walk down the pier to land instead of taking the dinghy.

For half that I rented a nice hotel room with a king size bed, kitchenette, HBO and free breakfast. When I pointed that out to the owner of the marina and the fact that half his slips were empty it made no difference.

Wonder if this attitude has anything to do with how bad the boating industry is doing in the NE?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 07:34   #26

Boat: Moody 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Where is that? I am looking for a marina that allows livaboards in Houston area, Thanks.
Bill,

Not sure they will allow boats with a mast in the wrong place
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas