Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2016, 23:32   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Port and starboard bow lights

Hi Cruisers,

Our boat has a pair of port and starboard navigation lights at the bow, built into the top sides. We have a fair bit of freeboard so the lights are a good 1.3 meters or so above the water. They are visible from straight ahead through an arc that appears to comply with the 225 degree requirement.

The other day one of the club members mentioned that such lights were no longer allowed. He stated that they would have to be moved up to the pulpit rails. I did not follow it up with him at the time as I was, quite literally, in the process of leaving the pen which is not a process you interrupt lightly.

So when I got a moment I went and looked up the regs to see if I could figure out why they were no longer considered kosher. I assumed it was some kind of minimum height thing, but I cannot find any such requirements so far.

Can anyone "illuminate" me?

Matt
Old 26-11-2016, 00:14   #2

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Port and starboard bow lights

Matt, if that was my Swanson 42 they'd be on the coachouse roof sides.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 00:34   #3

Funny that. I have put some very nice bright LED fittings either side of the deckhouse, but they are slightly aft of the masthead steaming light so I only use them in crowded situations light New Year's Eve.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-11-2016, 01:54   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Nothing that I am aware of would support that contention.

As long as they are visible at 2 miles, they are OK and 1.3m above the water line would meet that requirement
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 02:09   #5

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Nothing that I am aware of would support that contention.

As long as they are visible at 2 miles, they are OK and 1.3m above the water line would meet that requirement
On a mill pond, perhaps.
A collision at sea can ruin your entire day.
The rules keep legislators & law enforcement happy but it ain't always a perfect night whenrounding Cape Otway I'm told.
With respect Sir.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 03:08   #6

Thanks Stu. I was pretty sure you'd know if there was such a rule.

Brian I promise I won't use them next time I go around the Cape Ottoway. I'll use the tricolour on the mast. But right now I am using the deckhouse lights and they are reflecting off the stays and ruining my night vision.

But then, so is this phone. :^)

Old 26-11-2016, 03:32   #7

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Annex 1 to the Colregs gives the positioning requirements. I can't think of an issue with your lights, but don't know if there are specific Aussie rules.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 04:47   #8

Thanks guys. The chap who made the comment comes up with some snorters sometimes. I think this was one of them, but better safe than sorry.

Old 26-11-2016, 06:20   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

In most cases you don't have to modify your boat to meet regulations passed after it was built.

I think your friend is full of BS but you could check with the coast guard if you are concerned. Or just ask the Coast Guard Auxiliary folks who give you the safety sticker each year.
Old 26-11-2016, 06:23   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i changed my bow lights to placement on to boards in my shrouds, where they are VISIBLE.
10 ft above water and 10 ft apart. bright.
i find bow lights to be invisible at sea. especially in swells.
mine are visible.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 07:25   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If those are those little bug eye thingoes about the diameter of a 20 cent piece I would be chucking them in the bin. I doubt they ever complied with anything.

People can argue about the legality of them until they are blue in the face but I would not go to sea with them.

Reflection from the ones on the deckhouse sides? Shift them up to the bow.
Old 26-11-2016, 09:40   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
In most cases you don't have to modify your boat to meet regulations passed after it was built.

I think your friend is full of BS but you could check with the coast guard if you are concerned. Or just ask the Coast Guard Auxiliary folks who give you the safety sticker each year.
Logistical problem. He is in Australia.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 09:53   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I don't know the specific regs, but the common C&C boats around here (and many similar) have little dome nav lights on the bow. I've been told (surveyor I think) that they are just not bright enough. Most around here have been replaced with brighter/newer lights, usually mounted on the pulpit for ease of installation. So, I don't think it has to do with hieght above water, but with brightness. This is all just hearsay though. I've been checked by the CG, and they never mentioned my small lights...although I think you are only required to have lights after dark.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 10:10   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

As stated, I do not think they are 'illegal', but that location is no longer in favor. They are not as easily seen when the vessel is heeled over, and they are smallish. If you sail on a lake they would do, but if you go out I'd think about putting new lights on the pulpit or maybe deckhouse sides.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 10:16   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

A simple test to check the efficiency of these lights..... turn on while at anchor... get neighbour to turn on their Hellas or whatever.... go two miles away..... observe.

I've come across yachts with these lights when I had the day job.... they make Lucas look like a slow learner.

Apart from a raft minor technical details such as arc of visibility the plastic of the lens will now most likely be quite degraded. That even happens with lights like Aqua Signal over time.

Re the range... side lights for sub 12 metre boats only have to have a range of 1 mile.. if you reckon that is actually sufficient then you are sadly delusional. 'Big ship' side lights are only required to be visible at 3 miles and yet on a clear dark night can typicaly be seen at 12 or more.

Technical requirements ( which Hella, Aqua Signal, and others comply with ) can be found here in Annex 1 http://www.mar.ist.utl.pt/mventura/P...OLREG-1972.pdf

There is a 4 year allowance for compliance when requirements change.