Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2011, 09:25   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Portable FCC License

Hello All:

I am wondering if there is such a thing as a portable FCC Marine VHF license. I, a US Citizen, am buying a boat in Europe and will have UK registration. I understand that the UK has a one day course to get a VHF license but will not be anywhere near there to get the license. I have a US license for when I went to Mexico but was wondering if I could use a "portable" license on the boat in Europe.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 09:47   #2

Re: Portable FCC License

Is your FCC license a Ships Radio License for the boat, or an Operator's License for you? They are two different things. If you have an operator's license, I believe that is recognized and accepted in Europe. A ships Radio License is for the boat, so that wouldn't be applicable to your new boat in Europe.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 11:05   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Portable FCC License

Thanks Twistedtree:

Here is a thread that I couldn't find with the search engine at CF but I did find on Google. Operator error I think. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post687580

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license