Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 11:57   #91
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Protocol When Cruising With Guns

I'm just amazed by the fact I've sailed for over blah blah years and x00000 miles without a gun and never been boarded, mugged or otherwise assaulted....
Getting bored.. need some action...
where's the gun store... must be like money... need sum to get sum...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 12:27   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Protocol When Cruising With Guns

I think one of the stainless shotguns is the way to go. what would be the best type of shell?

I Know one type is the Mariner 790 and I believe there is another stainless one as well. I consider it a tool that would be nice to have if needed, like a prop puller or grinder. another important thing is to have it well tucked away with perhaps a trigger lock so you don't find yourself on the wrong end if you come back late from a potluck and find some unwelcome visitors already aboard.
Old 19-01-2013, 13:05   #93
Marine Service Provider

My other thought is what is the shelf life of 12 gauge shells in humid tropical environment? I have tried Orion flares that were only a few years past there date that were duds. I figure the powder must absorb moisture. I guess you could test your cache every few months, but not sure how easy to replenish in some areas? Would not want to be overrun by machete wielding fisherman/ pirates if you didn't keep ,literally, your powder dry.

seems like some of the guys on this thread have a lot knowledge. also good to have the commonwealth perspective. though I hear we are deporting that CNN bloke!
Old 19-01-2013, 13:23   #94

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 DS

Well, as far as ammo is concerned, I would say 00 Buck, along with a few slugs to put through the bottom of an outboard powered skiff. As for moisture, one can find the kitchen apliances that allow you to vacum seal your food, no reason why it shouldn't work with ammo.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 16:48   #95
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
My other thought is what is the shelf life of 12 gauge shells in humid tropical environment? I have tried Orion flares that were only a few years past there date that were duds. I figure the powder must absorb moisture. I guess you could test your cache every few months, but not sure how easy to replenish in some areas? Would not want to be overrun by machete wielding fisherman/ pirates if you didn't keep ,literally, your powder dry.

seems like some of the guys on this thread have a lot knowledge. also good to have the commonwealth perspective. though I hear we are deporting that CNN bloke!
Sorry you get to keep Piers Morgan FOREVER..... wed petitioned
to have him barred from every returning to the UK.

and Obama says hes protected by the ist amendment. anyway 117,000 can be wrong.

Id agree that a suitable pump is probably the least offensive forearm to carry as many jurisdictions have light regulations on shotguns. 00 can be hard to get as its banned in many places,

However as an avid clay shooter my self, I d question the effectiveness of a shotgun on a boat, yes as a good loud noise and flash maker, but to be effective you need to be close and cleaning up the mess afterwards would be horrible , LOL

Dave
Old 19-01-2013, 17:51   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Protocol When Cruising With Guns

Something outa the toolbox might work...

Dewalts answer to home protection that doesn't require a registration or license. This nailgun can shoot a 16-D nail through a 2x4 at 200 yards and incase of a ...home invasion well you can NAIL THEIR ASS to the wall. Im not saying it wont kill the perp but they wont get away. You can also help build a friends fence 2 blocks away while sitting in your front lawn. This is truly how you adapt and overcome so Thanks Dewalt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dewalt.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	53174  

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 03:23   #97

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Well, as far as ammo is concerned, I would say 00 Buck, along with a few slugs to put through the bottom of an outboard powered skiff. As for moisture, one can find the kitchen apliances that allow you to vacum seal your food, no reason why it shouldn't work with ammo.
Nice furniture on the AR-DeWalt

MIL-Spec ammo has shelf-life requirements. The primer-casing and projectile-casing joins are not merely pressure-sealed as with normal ammo but are also lacquered; it needs to withstand an underwater permeability test prior to being accepted. While I haven't produced shotshells they are harder to seal on the "business" end. I wouldn't vacuum-seal them for long periods as that might change the pressure in the cartridge over time and perhaps significantly change the burn rate when fired, but sealing in plastic baggies should be more than sufficient. For firearms that arent marinized there are various options ranging from light oils all the way to military-grade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline
Old 20-01-2013, 03:48   #98
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Something outa the toolbox might work...

Dewalts answer to home protection that doesn't require a registration or license. This nailgun can shoot a 16-D nail through a 2x4 at 200 yards and incase of a ...home invasion well you can NAIL THEIR ASS to the wall. Im not saying it wont kill the perp but they wont get away. You can also help build a friends fence 2 blocks away while sitting in your front lawn. This is truly how you adapt and overcome so Thanks Dewalt.

“Man, **** a charge, this here’s a gun powder activated, 27 caliber, full auto, no kickback, nail-throwing mayhem man.
**** right here’s tight."
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 04:27   #99

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Wow, what a surprise a gun thread is going again.

I have no comment other than to advise you to avoid gun shows in the US ... definitely not a safe place.

5 injured after firearms go off at Ohio, N.C., Indiana gun shows - CNN.com
Old 20-01-2013, 04:42   #100
Marine Service Provider

See, that's why you're not allowed to carry loaded weapons IN a gun show! you'll note it happened just outside. this thread has done a pretty good job staying away from politics and culture. I really do appreciate a thread of the nuts and bolts.
Old 20-01-2013, 04:47   #101

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
See, that's why you're not allowed to carry loaded weapons IN a gun show! you'll note it happened just outside. this thread has done a pretty good job staying away from politics and culture. I really do appreciate a thread of the nuts and bolts.
I don't think you read the entire story. There were "3" different incidents!
Old 21-01-2013, 05:25   #102

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Boatguy30 - don't worry, Doodles didn't read the full article either. The one inside incident was an altercation and not a ND or AD (negligent or accidental discharge) and that could have happened anywhere and should not have happened inside as loaded firearms are prohibited within shows - even in open-carry states.
Old 21-01-2013, 05:38   #103
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

That dewalt gun is not a dewalt at all its a M16 with yellow trim and a dewalt sticker. It has been reposted all over the net but few actually read the artical about it. No nails, just good ole M16 ammo. I myself dont care for the M16 and enjoy the AK-47 much more. A better looking gun in general.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 05:45   #104
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Maybe vaccum pack ammo to keep the humidity out. If your gonna carry, having at least 1000 rounds seems like a no brainer. Without ammo you've just got a heavy rusting stick.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 05:54   #105
Marine Service Provider

I did read it. My general point was how "unsafe" it's considered to have a loaded weapon in a gun show because of the density of people.

Yet, it's somehow OK for someone with very little training to carry a weapon almost anywhere else in almost all states? Again, I consider modest weapons aboard or in the home a separate issue from the larger gun crazed society concerns.

they wanted to build a range within 150 feet of a school in JAX beach. I guess you have to take your weapons in unloaded for safety. Instead of, hey it's crazy to have a gun range 150 feet from a school! the agument that prevented it was showing how many accidental discharged occur in range parking lots due to fools unloading there weapons that they had been toting around loaded prior to going into the range.

Tags
Guns