Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 19:55   #1
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Red over Green, Sailing Machine

Or so goes the mnemonic. Any one else run a red over green masthead light (per the regs). If so, what has been your experience.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 20:13   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Only have seen them on boats over 65 ft, as they require 4 bulbs--two lights on each side of the mast. Plus, most people don't know what the lights mean.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 20:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
We had them on our Westsail 32. Never turned them on as no one could explain to us what they were supposed to be for. Only found out 15 or more years later what they are all about and then only cause we ran into a European ex ship's captain. BTW, they were 180 degree lights on the face of the mast, didn't project to the rear.

If you want lights up high, which is a good idea out on the open ocean, run a tricolor fixture at the mast head. In close to shore, possibly lights lower down might be more readily picked up by the smaller vessels.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 00:07   #4

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
Never had the over and under lights but I did have a redundant tricolor on the mast that I didn't use in Puget Sound at the request of the coast guard.
The rationale they used was that it was disturbing to ship's pilots who visually judged the range of a small boat by the down sight angle to the boats running lights. The high lights gave them an impression that the small craft was much further away.

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:21   #5
S&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquest2 View Post
Never had the over and under lights but I did have a redundant tricolor on the mast that I didn't use in Puget Sound at the request of the coast guard.
The rationale they used was that it was disturbing to ship's pilots who visually judged the range of a small boat by the down sight angle to the boats running lights. The high lights gave them an impression that the small craft was much further away.

Joe S
I've heard that too. I figured that if the MV deck officer knew his lights, they'd see the red/green combo at a distance and then look for the (much lower) red or green sector lights.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:00   #6

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I always run red over green masthead light when ever sailing at night. Never a problem.

We have done multiple passages and Gulf Stream crossings, meeting MANY large ships and none have ever complained. They recognize what we are immediately.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:09   #7
S&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
I always run red over green masthead light when ever sailing at night. Never a problem.

We have done multiple passages and Gulf Stream crossings, meeting MANY large ships and none have ever complained. They recognize what we are immediately.

George
Do you have spacing between them? or are they right together?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:17   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
From Annex A of the COLREGS...

When the Rules prescribe two or three lights to be carried in a vertical line, they shall be spaced as follows:
  1. on a vessel of 20 meters in length or more such lights shall be spaced not less than 2 meters apart, and the lowest of these lights shall, except where a towing light is required, be placed at a height of not less than 4 meters above the hull;
  2. on a vessel of less than 20 meters in length such lights shall be spaced not less than 1 meter apart and the lowest of these lights shall, except where a towing light is required, be placed at a height of not less than 2 meters above the gunwale;
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...ex_1Intl.htm#2

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:21   #9

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

When the Rules prescribe two or three lights to be carried in a vertical line, they shall be spaced as follows:
  1. on a vessel of 20 meters in length or more such lights shall be spaced not less than 2 meters apart, and the lowest of these lights shall, except where a towing light is required, be placed at a height of not less than 4 meters above the hull;
  2. on a vessel of less than 20 meters in length such lights shall be spaced not less than 1 meter apart and the lowest of these lights shall, except where a towing light is required, be placed at a height of not less than 2 meters above the gunwale;
Looks like you are channeling GordMay.

Anyone use the motor sailing day shape?
It seems like Colregs has a lot of these funky rules that anyone could take or leave.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:49   #10

Rule 25 says:

(b) In a sailing vessel of less than 20 meters in length the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule may be combined in one lantern carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.
(c) A sailing vessel underway may, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower Green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by paragraph (b) of this Rule.

Since they are combined in one lantern no spacing is involved. I believe the Annex A sited above is for fishing, towing, etc.

George
Bob Seger
Old 03-08-2009, 13:15   #11

Forgive me. My Bad. I am running a mast head tri-color. Not a red over green.

George
Bob Seger
Old 03-08-2009, 14:33   #12
S&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

International Annex I
So sayeth the regs. A 1m stanchion should do it. Anyone else show these?