Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2010, 16:11   #61

Boat: bicycle
phew that's a relief thanks
Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 16:14   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I've only ever been turned over by Customs twice... 1st time in Gurnsey when I was delivering a steel OD34 from Spain....
I'd arrived at low water and was tied up at the waiting pontoon waiting for the tide to come in so's I could fuel up... I had 12days growth, was wearing a sawn off flying jacket over my fleece and had my Afghan Pakhol on my head... probably looked like Bin Lader with a trim...lol. 3 officers were looking at me hard from the jetty 30ft above and I thought "Uhoh..." sure enough 10mins later...
2nd time was day 46 of a solo from St Martin when I waved down a Patrol Boat for confirmation of my position.... turned out it was the latest boat on sea trials and work up... Skipper politely asked if he could do a 'training search' as none of the guys had acually done it 'live'.... they did a search and I got fresh bread, cheese, salad, coffee.... and best of all... a couple of ciggies..
Tons of cruisers carry bikes... some even Monkey Bikes....
Some great friends even carried his and hers Harley's stored next to the dinghy in the stern garage... some folks do it in style

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 16:20   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Humans.
Man.
What are we going to do with them?
Can't live with 'em .... have to go to the states to shoot 'em

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 16:45   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've only ever been turned over by Customs twice... 1st time in Gurnsey when I was delivering a steel OD34 from Spain....
I'd arrived at low water and was tied up at the waiting pontoon waiting for the tide to come in so's I could fuel up... I had 12days growth, was wearing a sawn off flying jacket over my fleece and had my Afghan Pakhol on my head... probably looked like Bin Lader with a trim...lol. 3 officers were looking at me hard from the jetty 30ft above and I thought "Uhoh..." sure enough 10mins later...
HAha that's funny, you know apart from smiling and being polite to officials, I often wondered if merely shaving and dressing smart helps you get through...although perhaps a bit difficult to do if you're single-handing into a major port!
Old 22-12-2010, 20:00   #65

Boat: deboated
Bad news QLD Australia helmets are mandatory. Not sure of the other states.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 06:04   #66

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Just a note:

snip
The recent emphasis on termite inspection is the subject of concern among international cruisers since it can lead to both an expensive (recent example of a timber yacht being imported at Brisbane: fee for inspection by dog and trainer was 1200 AUD) which in turn can lead to the requirement for fumigation. This process can cost upwards of 10,000 AUD and has lasting deleterious effects on the boat. , Oz
One would think that if the vessel needed 10k worth of fumigation it obviously had a termite infestation in the first place. The owners might just be happy to know this before the next time they put to sea

Imagine the catastrophic consequences of a nest in the main bulkhead or worse, around the chain plates.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 06:57   #67

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
If your not familiar with the customs requirements, (I.E. new cruiser), it sounds like a lot of studying to do. I have flown to many of these countries, and it's not always a picnic, but rarely a hassle. I have bribed foreign officials, (only one time was I forced to, communists). The others I chose to, to avoid further hassle and to speed up over doing it the right way which would have taken longer. The most red tape has come from entering the US and I am a US citizen, (and you don't even have the option of bribing out). It would be good to have a list of what fees and whats allowed where, ( I guess a cruising guide?). The big option you have as a cruiser is unless you go to a country that tries to take your boat, you can leave.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 07:10   #68

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.
Thumbs up Check out Bike Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
.......Your stowage of a decent cycle (ours are small foldies not serious kit) is a much bigger challenge than any legislation.
Check out Bike Friday. A "serious kit" folding bike custom made in Oregon. Travel bicycles by Bike Friday, manufacturer of high performance folding bicycles and folding bike accessories. :
Old 23-12-2010, 13:07   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
The most red tape has come from entering the US and I am a US citizen, (and you don't even have the option of bribing out). It would be good to have a list of what fees and whats allowed where, ( I guess a cruising guide?).
Here's a list but doesn't really specify exact amount of fees Noonsite: USA
Old 23-12-2010, 13:16   #70

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Thames - in some countries certainly, e.g. Mexican officials will be offended if you turn up in shorts and T shirt,

I recently entered Aus at Brisbane, went to great trouble to do everything right and thus no problems, no point telling the agent I think their rules are stupid and offensive, need to go further up the tree for that.
He did warn me that in the very near future we can expect to be asked for receipts to prove when the last bottom job was done (What if you DIY?)

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 15:01   #71

Boat: deboated
Receipt for travel lift + hire of equipement + anti foul etc. Probably still not a big deal, one boat travelling across in 2008 had the work done DIY in FP just in case. So again this is not a new rule just they are indicating they are going to enforce. As others have said attitude + attempting to follow the rules will normally avoid any major drama. I would suggest not to attempt bribery in OZ though!
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 16:56   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sailor View Post
Check out Bike Friday. A "serious kit" folding bike custom made in Oregon.
Those look nice. Hmmm I love my full size bikes and always have one all-terrain and one racer - one small folder is going to take some getting used to
Old 31-12-2010, 08:56   #73

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thames View Post
HAha that's funny, you know apart from smiling and being polite to officials, I often wondered if merely shaving and dressing smart helps you get through...although perhaps a bit difficult to do if you're single-handing into a major port!
Without a doubt. It's the same in most walks of life from traffic police to border controls. If you look respectable then you've got less chance of getting hassle, simple.

I dare say that if you pull up to as dock looking like something from Pirates of the Carribean (no offence Boatman!!!) with a tatty looking boat it would be surprising if you DIDN'T get any hassle.

Your attitude of a friendly smile and good manners is spot on. Most counties still respect that above all.
Old 31-12-2010, 09:36   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

[QUOTE=simonmd;588100]
I dare say that if you pull up to as dock looking like something from Pirates of the Carribean (no offence Boatman!!!) with a tatty looking boat it would be surprising if you DIDN'T get any hassle.
UOTE]

I was younger and tougher then... I had an Image to maintain...
Independant...
Just learnt not to shout so loud...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 09:45   #75

Boat: Bristol 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
<G>

Perhaps you've heard the phrase "Wherever you go, there you are!" (I think from the Hitchhiker's Guide?)

Y<G>

Buckaroo Bonzai Across the Fith Dimension
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
red tape