Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 10:43   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Refit in Mexico?

the concerns involve taxation on imports over 300 usd despite t i p this is necessary. i found t i p has no influence on customs here. may be different with transporting in a van.
the other issue would be the failure to add these items to a revised t i p -- whioch is one of the issues that brought out the agace boat tagging agents
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 10:59   #17

there is a listing of prohibited items for importation by private citizens into mexico.
you may wish to read these listings so as to save the many hundreds of dollars you invest into boat parts.
one person learned that kerosene is disallowed when his stash of it was removed from his possession.
lithium ion batteries was on that listing when i read it in barra de navidad 2 yrs ago.
you might wish to consult customs to know th e ramifications of importation of dangerous substances including batteries and kerosene among othe r much used items in boating.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...to-mexico-u-s/
Old 29-03-2017, 02:21   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Thanks zeehag!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 02:33   #19

I was thinking to get my watermaker serviced in the US by manufacturer and bring it back. Will I have to pay import tax on that? Thanks​
Re_nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 08:33   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Ah, "The Good Old Days" 1995 when it was good for 20 years and FREE !

Well they need the money to pay for that new wall...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 08:40   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
So what are the probable issues one faces if you have a couple of van loads of gear you'd like to bring from the US down to the boat in Mexico? Assuming for now that you have your title, & TIP in order.
I have driven down many times over the last three years with hoards of gear. I've never been touched. At Otay Mesa, I was stopped for a look see and I just pulled out the hoards of paperwork (TIP, receipts, official letters from boatyards I was staying at. The soldier just smiled and sent me on my way.
I did see Ferderalies pulling people over in the middle of nowhere and later learned they were shaken down for a undisclosed sum of money. I was also told only to drive dawn to dusk.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 09:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I did see Ferderalies pulling people over in the middle of nowhere and later learned they were shaken down for a undisclosed sum of money. I was also told only to drive dawn to dusk.
The Federales are very honest and won't pull you over unless you are breaking the law.If they do you follow them to pay your fine at the nearest police station. Fines are cheap compared to the USA & Canada.

The Transito police will often want some mordita if you break the law...200 pesos is usually good for speeding infraction etc.

The Mexican military has many check points along various highways...they are funded by the USA to restrict the flow of drugs,money & guns. They usually send you on your way after a quick check and do not expect any mordita and are extremely polite.

You try to drive dawn to dusk due to the large number of unfenced open range in Mexico...theres a reason the trucks have large steel bumpers protecting the front of the truck.

It's safe to drive anywhere here anytime unless you are involved in the drug trade.If you use the toll highways here you'll find them in better shape than most Interstate highways but with 10% of the traffic.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 09:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_nat View Post
I was thinking to get my watermaker serviced in the US by manufacturer and bring it back. Will I have to pay import tax on that? Thanks​
you are taking out a used item and returning with same used item. SHOULD be no duty.

in case y'all have not been payin gattention,. mordida was banned a few years ago and has been made illegal. this occurred before 2012, when administration changed.
there is no more mordida. you CAN buy off a policia in your n eighbor hood, but mordida has become history.
never drive after dark in ,exico--you will encouhnter fake checkpoints. oopsy. bed and breakfast places ar einexpensive--a lot cheaper than being hit by the fakers pretending to be military. oopsy
UNFORTUNATELY the fakers wear all black just like th emilitary at the checkpoints---funny how that works--they must appear to be real for pulling over the travellers successfully. they are NOT military but thieves. beware. they set up after the military depart.
is kinda like driving is east lost angels--never after dark and rarely at dusk.
dangerous.
Old 29-03-2017, 10:09   #24

I think Panama sounds much easier to import things, which I have done before. Not that far so might sail down there Instead
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 10:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
I think Panama sounds much easier to import things, which I have done before. Not that far so might sail down there Instead
you totally missed the point--- there is minimal need to import items for boating into mexico, as these items are already present in mexico and at a lesser price than importation/smuggling.

funny how this is NOT a remote isolated underprivileged counbtry--there are boats owned here by locals as well as multimillionaires and these are repaired here using mexican purchases.
there are rugged shrimpers and long range tuna fleets both repaired and supported by mexican craftsmen. their parts are purchased here in mexico.

there is not any savings in importation or of smuggling of parts to here.
Old 29-03-2017, 11:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you totally missed the point--- there is minimal need to import items for boating into mexico, as these items are already present in mexico and at a lesser price than importation/smuggling.

funny how this is NOT a remote isolated underprivileged counbtry--there are boats owned here by locals as well as multimillionaires and these are repaired here using mexican purchases.
there are rugged shrimpers and long range tuna fleets both repaired and supported by mexican craftsmen. their parts are purchased here in mexico.

there is not any savings in importation or of smuggling of parts to here.
I got your point, but if you didn't read that I work within the marine industry and have very good discounts. Then there is some items Im haven't found, like Lifepo4 batteries prices. Help me out if you know.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 13:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
I got your point, but if you didn't read that I work within the marine industry and have very good discounts. Then there is some items Im haven't found, like Lifepo4 batteries prices. Help me out if you know.

glad you have really good discounts.
that will help moderate the duties and whatever hazmat fees are required.
at present there are no lithium ion batteries in mexico.
they are on a list of prohibited hazardous materials along with kerosene, stove alcohol, and some other goodies.
it may be easier to drive to panama where cost of living is higher, and transport them by boat.

Tags
Mexico, refit