Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2015, 07:17   #1

registed a sailboat

Hello I have a sailboat that use to has Florida Registed but we want to change it. Which is the flag most cheap you recomend me ?? My boyfriend an I are from Argentina and we cant register used boat there., so we have to choose an other country.
Thanks
Analia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:18   #2

Re: registed a sailboat

Where do you live? Where are you keeping the boat? Generally speaking you can't just arbitrarily pick any country you want.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:35   #3

I am from Argentina and until three months ago lived there, but now I am sailing aronud the Caribbean for one year. Now we and our boat is in Bahamas but only for a month. Then we will continue browsing other countries.
Old 25-06-2015, 08:37   #4

Whats wrong with a Florida registration ?
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:45   #5

We are not going to return to Usa thats why we want to change the registed of our sailboat.
Old 25-06-2015, 09:04   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Which is the flag most cheap you recomend me ??"
A Florida registration is a *state* registration, it is not the same as "flagging". United States Coast Guard documentation is our national flagging. It is available only to US citizens and corporations owned at least 51% by US citizens, so it is not available to you.
You will find that is the same in most countries. Either you must be a citizen in order to have the vessel flagged, or the vessel must be owned by a domestic corporation in that country. Some countries require the corporation to be owned by citizens, others allow it to be owned by anyone who is willing to pay the expenses of keeping the domestic corporation.
You will find many "flags of convenience" that can be bought that way. Do expect that will also complicate life, as you may need commercial insurance for the corporation, and different liability status, and different legal obligations and protections.
Plenty of old threads here and elsewhere about "venue shopping" that way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat