Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 10:35   #1

Registering Outside the US

Hello, I am looking for info on registering outside the us pros and cons, how to do it and where is the best place.

Thanks
alldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 20:31   #2

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Re: registering outside the us

I just registered in the Isle of Man. It was easy and cheap and a very pleasant experience.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 23:05   #3

Boat: Boatless

We are US citizens with a Brit registration. Ours is Brit SSR but Isle of Man is no less legitimate. Isle of Man registration is cheap compared with other foreign registrations.

Isle of Man Ship Registry - Pleasure Yacht Fees - Isle of Man Government DED

When in the US the boat needs an annual cruising permit and I of M is registered with the US as being a legitimate recipient of the permit which costs $27.50

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...tering-the-u.s.

Yachts Introduction Page - Isle of Man Government DED

You have to leave once a year, for two weeks in order to renew the cruising permit.

In 6 yrs we have never had any problems coming and going from the US and foreign ports and a Brit registration has never been a problem with foreign countries.

However, we never linger in any one state of the Union.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 01:55   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
When in the US the boat needs an annual cruising permit and I of M is registered with the US as being a legitimate recipient of the permit which costs $27.50

There is no fee for a US cruising permit. You may be required to have a Customs decal (which costs $27.50) depending on where you clear in. The regulation pertaining to the requirement for having a decal is vague and confusing. If you want a decal it must must be purchased before clearing in. Some officers ask for the decal others do not. With the customs decal there is no fee for clearing in. Without the decal the cost for clearing in in FL is under $20. If you clear in more than once in a calendar year the decal is your best bet.

User Fee, Transponder, and Decal Information - CBP.gov

Many foreign cruisers have cleared in in FL without the decal.
Old 22-11-2013, 03:03   #5

Boat: Island Packet 38

Why register outside US if you are a US citizen?
mparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 03:16   #6

Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

If you US citizens and the boat was built in the US then US registration is probably the best bet. However I bought a boat that had never been to the US before and therefore importation fees were NOT paid. Rather than go through that expense (1.5%) we chose to register with the Isle of Mann. We already even had the flag since it had been registered in Jersey before.

In Washington state, contrary to what most officials will tell you, must allow you one full year in their state for only a nominal fee. I think I paid $33 after the $27 for the annual cruising permit. Being so close to Canada it is easy to slip over their for two weeks or a month. The Canadian's are delighted to see the Union Jack flying at least in British Columbia.

Mrs. Sweetman, Vessel registrar in the Isle of Mann, is a delight to deal with. Contrast that with dealing with US registration where you considered a criminal unless proven otherwise.
Old 22-11-2013, 03:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Seems like a hassle for 1.5%???
Old 22-11-2013, 04:46   #8

Re: Registering Outside the US

Not a hassle at all. Plus you have someone friendly to communicate with while registering versus not friendly at all USCG.
But again it just depends on what the status of your boat is and where you expect to sell it eventually. In my case, aluminum boats are not highly prized as they are in Europe especially France so I would go there to sell it when that day comes.
Old 22-11-2013, 05:02   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Sounds like the typical rational of any tax evader. I shouldn't have to pay because......

Maybe those guys that "treat you like a criminal" are onto something?
Old 22-11-2013, 10:50   #10

The subject of this thread is "Registering Outside the US". Whether one does it for tax purposes, convenience or just friendly registrars is the boat owners choice.
Not sure what tax evasion has to do with it. Tax avoidance is a taxpayers privilege as outlined by the IRS itself. It is not a crime.
Old 25-11-2013, 07:42   #11

Question Re: Registering Outside the US

Starting this tread has nothing to do with taxes I am simply interested in the pros and cons of registering elsewhere, it is nice to hear that there is a place that is more user friendly to register one's boat.

IF Anyone that finds they can avoid taxes they should, there are too many taxes, for example: if the government created currency as outlined in the federal constitution instead of giving all our of our money to the federal reserve in the form of interest on a debt that can never be repaid hopelessly enslaving all Americans to the Federal reserve ( A cartel of foreign Banks ) Americans would have much more income to spend creating a strong economy... most of the federal tax and the IRS could be eliminated.

If the gentleman that thinks everyone should pay lots of tax wants to volunteer its OK with me its his money, However I don't see anything Patriotic about being TAXED! Or paying taxes.

Thanks for the replies!

Fight Corruption eat a politician
alldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 10:17   #12

Boat: none yet :(

This is actually an interesting conversation. Was Isle of Man chosen as a convenience / specific circumstances or it has some advantages over other jurisdictions (i.e. Channel islands, BVI etc?) I would guess it also has to be done through an LLC (Ltd), right?
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 10:35   #13
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Our boat was USCG documented when we got it, and we transferred that to our name and just renewed for the first time. We're US Citizens who live outside the US. It bugs me to have to do ANY US Government regs or paperwork if I can avoid it. We don't live there. We don't sail there. And I for sure do not want to give that government a penny extra to spend on hollow point bullets to use against our own citizens.

Do you have to physically be on the Isle of Man to register there, or can it all be done via email?
Old 25-11-2013, 18:47   #14

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Langkawi

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 19:31   #15

No, to register in the Isle of Man you just fill out the paper work. I would suggest to start by contacting the registrar of ships, Mrs. Muriel Sweetman at muriel.sweetman@gov.im. She will get you everything you need and help you through it all.
I do have an LLC registered in Wyoming and it is one of the few jurisdictions that recognizes foreign LLC's. Most countries want you to set up a entity in their country or use a local company but all that costs money. Isle of Man does away with all that.
I also got my ship Radio License at Ofcom which also is a piece of cake too.