Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 02:31   #1

Registration

We are about to buy our first boat but are rather uncertain about the registration part. I am German citizen but life with my wife, who is Australian, in Australia (I am a Resident of Australia) Besides that, I am also a permanent Resident of Singapore. We are planning to buy the yacht in Europe (most likely in Spain). What are my options in regards to the registration? Is it true that I can register the boat only in the country that I am living in? Can I register it in Australia but keep it in Europe for 2 - 3 years. Would it be of advantage to register it in Germany? The yacht is a used one with VAT paid, so that is not a concern. Thanks a lot for your help
Nico02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 03:14   #2

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp
Re: Registration

Nico,
I can only speak from looking at rego/duty options for myself when importing a US built boat to AUS, NO EU involvement and this is not professional advice.
My first and only informed advice is to go to a professional in this field.
If you plan on keeping it the EU for 2-3 years, I can see no value in an Australian registration at this time. The EU taxes are paid, take advantage of them.
Whether it's best to have German or some other EU flag/rego, I'm not qualified to say.
In three years it will have depreciated, get a survey done that reflects this lower market value immediately before you transfer to Australian registration and import the boat here. You will be taxed on that amount, a lower value is in your favour.
If you take longer than one year, from that valuation, to physically get the boat here and import it, you may well be forced to have it re-valued, you may not like the result.
If it is not in your plans to import the boat to Australia then of course just sail under your EU rego.
I think I got that right but please check the EU options out with some authority there.
The Australian regulations are available online, possibly from AMSA, search for "importing a boat to Australia".
Cheers,
Mac
Old 22-09-2013, 05:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Registration

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nico02.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote