Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2021, 12:38   #1

Resupplying in transit.

I never sail to another country. I’ve read some things but still haven’t found an answer to my question: Do you have to go through customs to resupply?
Frat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 12:46   #2

Re: Resupplying in transit.

Yes. To resupply one would need to have been granted free pratique; also to enter other than to make innocent passage, albeit with Covid some countries require contacting the authorities before arrival to their country even for non-stop transit; and to make anchor or moor.

One needs to be provided visa.

To learn about a specific country's formalities I suggest reviewing Noonsite as an excellent resource reference.

https://www.noonsite.com/countries/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 13:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Frat.
You generally have to go through a country's version of customs & immigration to set foot on land.
So, yes.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 13:45   #4

Although in emergency situation even if you don't have the correct visas, there may be options to get supplies legally. I know of at least one case where a boat in transit was allowed to take on water, diesel and a food delivery at the fuel dock under the watchful eye of a customs official without checking in.

But as Gord wrote above, they weren't allowed to set foot on land.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 11:50   #5

Thanks for the response everyone. I thought you could at least load up on fuel. Like pull up to a fuel dock in your home country and not getting off your boat. As Joh Ghurt said not stepping on land.
You would think someone would come up with business like that. Fuel and supply barge out in the water, but I guess it would have to be in international waters. And that ship would probably have to go through customs every time it comes into port too.
I trying to plan a trip for my family. Join this site to find out all the nuances. It’s been helpful. Thanks everyone.
Frat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 12:19   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

This is the relevant treaty; https://www.un.org/depts/los/convent...s/unclos_e.pdf

I know someone who ran short of fuel due to extensive calms on a passage from New England to the Virgins. He stopped in Bermuda and cited the relevant passage of the treaty as evidence that he was allowed to take on fuel without first clearing through Customs if he left immediately. They reminded him that their rules applied as they saw fit to interpret them and did not allow him to take on fuel without first clearing in through Customs.
House rules.....their house, their rules.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 13:07   #7

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Clearing into a new country is no big deal anyway, in most countries. In some it is trivial. Besides, what's the rush?
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 06:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
Clearing into a new country is no big deal anyway, in most countries. In some it is trivial. Besides, what's the rush?
Yeah. This ^^^^^^^

Not that this applies to the OP in this particular thread, but it seems like a lot of people are willing to go to extraordinary lengths, and even risk breaking the law, just to avoid checking in. Yes, there are usually some fees, but most of the time they are pretty reasonable. It's just not that big of a deal.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 09:21   #9

With Covid travel restrictions imposed, illegally crossing of borders comes with increase financial and criminal penalties.

By way of example, Canada:

According to the Canadian Border Security Agency, failure to comply with the current border entry restrictions could lead to up to six months in prison and/or $750,000 in fines.

As well, the agency says, a person who causes a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person while willfully or recklessly contravening the Quarantine Act could be liable for a fine of up to $1,000,000 or imprisonment of up to three years, or both.

So yeah, it can be a big deal.
Old 29-03-2021, 09:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
Actually, only if you have passports that don't need visas. If you're unfortunate enough to have people on board which need a visa, things can get really complicated. In such situation it is sometimes helpful not to have to clear in. That was in the case I mentioned above and the custom official thought it was a lot less hassle to just make sure nobody stepped on land.
Old 29-03-2021, 09:33   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 30

You need to plan ahead wrt to visas, entry requirements, and ports of entry. Generally not a problem but some countries, Oz is a good example, make it more complicated and expensive.
Old 29-03-2021, 09:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Actually, only if you have passports that don't need visas. If you're unfortunate enough to have people on board which need a visa, things can get really complicated. In such situation it is sometimes helpful not to have to clear in. That was in the case I mentioned above and the custom official thought it was a lot less hassle to just make sure nobody stepped on land.
Indeed often arrival by private boat or private airplane instead of commercial transport results in more complexity. By way of example, citizens / residents of many countries can typically arrive in the USA by commercial airliner or cruise ship and clear immigration on a visa free basis, but if arriving by private yacht they will require a B1 or B2 visa which must be processed by application to a USA embassy or consulate in the country of the person's residency or citizenship and approved and issued before they depart to come to the USA. No B1 / B2 visa, no entry.
Old 29-03-2021, 09:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
You need to plan ahead wrt to visas, entry requirements, and ports of entry. Generally not a problem but some countries, Oz is a good example, make it more complicated and expensive.
Yes, they were aware of this, but due to the weather they ended up to have to stop in a country they didn't plan to stop at.
Old 29-03-2021, 09:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You generally have to go through a country's version of customs & immigration to set foot on land.
So, yes.
It's not just stepping on land.

Even if you have someone bring the supplies out to you. Once you come into contact, you are generally considered to have entered and must notify customs and immigration following the rules (which usually means getting clearance prior to contact).

Anchoring will depend a bit on how they feel. Technically, you could argue it's part of an "innocent passage" but this is presuming that the actions align with it being incidental and you have no contact with shore or other vessels. Grew up in Michigan with Canada right there. If you are cruising along the border on the Detroit River and slip across the line occasionally, no one will hassle you over it. If you make a beeline across Lake St. Clair, anchor out in a busy Canadian anchorage and then make a beeline back, don't be surprised if they stop by and start asking questions as your actions aren't consistent with innocent passage.

As stated, if you know you are going to visit the waters of a country, much better to do it right and check in.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 10:53   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'd say that almost all of the 60 countries I have visited require you to formally check in before you can legally buy fuel. One exception was the fuel barges in the Singapore Strait, that worked on a cash basis and didn't ask questions. Checking into places like the Bahamas for 4 hours will cost you$300, which is not insignificant in my book. I remember a VHF conversation with a marina in Costa Rica, which went something like this:

"I am in transit between Panama and Hawaii. Can I come in and buy fuel?"

"We can sell you fuel, but you must check in to the country first. "

"Can I check in at the marina?"

"Yes, our agent charges $500, and it will take 2 days. We can give you a slip for $175 a night".

"I'll get back to you."

At that point I flagged down one of the local fishing boats and made a deal for 40 gallons. They were happy, I was happy, and they threw in 3 nice fish.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote