Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 16:47   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Retirement planner wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
What about the residence issue? I know some folks seem to want to have residence in Florida for more reason. What is that about?
Florida allows you to be a legal resident even if you don't live there, own no property there, and have never been there. The only restriction is that you cannot reside in another state for more than half the year.

When we lived in Nevis, in the Caribbean for six years, we used St Brendan's Isle as a mail forwarder. They handled the process of getting us certified as residents of Florida, in absentia, for a fee of $10. We were then able to vote in state and federal electons via absentee ballots. Credit card companies and investment managment companies require a US address, and St Brendan's Isle qualifies. It's a personal mailbox (PMB), so FedEx and UPS will deliver to it, and SBI will then send you the package wherever you are. FedEx and UPS will not deliver to a USPS post office box. We were entitled to get Florida driver licenses, but for that we had to apply in person. If you get called up for jury duty, just tell them that you're cruising offshore and you'll be excused. They understand the concept of cruisers using SBI for mail forwarding, etc.

As stated before, Florida doesn't have an income tax. It also has no death taxes or investment taxes. I can't think of a better solution for offshore living, and it only costs $7-12 per month depending on the services you choose.
Old 11-12-2013, 17:35   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Retirement Planner Wanted

Ok, thanks for that info. Sounds good.

I guess we are just somewhat intimidated by the whole process. We are each they AAAA personalities, work has been a crutch, although I've been trying hard to slow down. I find the prospect of moving into this new phase daunting. I believe my Wife does also.

I guess that is what we were looking for....a GUIDE..., something written we could stare at and mull over, with some hand holding.

As I said I'm pretty sure we are OK $ wise, not rich but OK. Right now it's the transition.

The only debt we have is on the house, which carries itself and that will be done in a few years. SS and moderate 401k's exist.

But we live with the devil we know fearing the unknown.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:01   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

If it all seems too complicated, "chunk" it. Make a list of the things that seem important to get a handle on, and tackle them one by one until you feel confident you've got a solid path forward.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:40   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thanks to all for your advice and support.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 07:53   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
If it all seems too complicated, "chunk" it. Make a list of the things that seem important to get a handle on, and tackle them one by one until you feel confident you've got a solid path forward.
Also, most of those details that you assume are so important in life...really are not.

Perspective helps. I like to ask "whose gonna die if this does not happen?". Nobody? Its not a high priority.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, retirement, wanted