Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2021, 08:14   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
RI registration decals

I'm in a big yard in Rhode Island and there are a lot of boats with RI hailing ports here, but almost none of them have registration stickers on their bow. There are some that do but without the registration lettering. The ones that have both tend to be smaller boats and dinghies.

My understanding is that all boats with engines have to be state registered in RI, even USCG Documented boats and dinghies. Is there just no enforcement? Or is there no enforcement on the decals, as long as your boat is actually registered?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 08:21   #2

Re: RI registration decals

Boat registration numbers in Rhode Island begin with an "RI" designation which is followed by four numbers and then two letters. These must be displayed on all non-documented boats along with registration sticker tabs.
Coast Guard documented vessels may not display the state registration numbers. However they must display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. An official documentation number must also be affixed to a visible interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
All vessels manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. Owners with older boats may apply with the Marine Police Division for a hull number assignment. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters "RIZ" are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. A Rhode Island law enforcement official must inspect the boat if there is a discrepancy in the hull identification number.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 09:01   #3

Not really what I was asking, but thanks. Most of the boats here with RI hailing ports have no sticker tabs or registration numbers. I found 2 boats with registration stickers but no numbers, so maybe they're coast guard documented. Only a couple have registration stickers and numbers. But at least a dozen boats that don't have anything, despite hailing from Newport or Jamestown, etc.
Old 25-05-2021, 09:32   #4

RI requires the boat to be registered in the state if the primary mooring area is in RI. They define that as more than 90 days a year. So it is possible to have RI as your USCG documented hailing port and not need to register in RI.

Also, the documented vessels may display the stickers on the boat somewhere other than the bow. Look at the base of the mast, for example.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 09:45   #5

Ah, thanks. Although I was pretty sure the RI website says to put them as high and as forward as possible. I'll try to check other locations.

Honestly, it sounds like something that is not really easy to enforce, and possibly therefore not well enforced. How are they keeping track of which boats spend 90 days in RI? I assume that means 90 days in the water? Or does time on the hard in the boatyard count? Maybe all these RI hailing boats in this RI boatyard all spend less than 90 days a year in RI waters, but maybe they're just not registered and nobody cares?
Old 25-05-2021, 09:59   #6

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

My boat is documented and I put my RI registration stickers on the pilothouse windows. I did the same on my previous boat (Ranger Tug 27) and never had any issues.
HRowland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, registration