Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2019, 18:48   #31

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Russian spy ship right in my next rumb line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
The link will work better now

The last bracket (closing bracket) was in the wrong place

Nice catch, Wotname.

If the Avangard doesn't do the trick, the Air to Surface Kinzhal might (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-47M2_Kinzhal )
Old 26-12-2019, 19:39   #32

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
Another good read is Scorpion Down, the USSR really did sink her in 1968 in retaliation of the US sinking(?) of one of their subs in the No Pacific. Howard Hughes ship Glomar Explorer raised a part of the Russian sub in the '80s.

Capt. Wayne

ex Scorpion crew

I did some work on the gloms challenger, interesting boat.
Old 27-12-2019, 05:26   #33

Reminds me of the old "Spy vs. Spy" in the Mad magazine.
Maybe you can trade a few things with them-- our government does.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 13:20   #34

Boat: Westcoast Bayrunner 20 Fishing Skiff

I prefer dating the Russian gals from their embassy rather than the ones working on any of their vessels... so far. However, if you run out of booze give them an opportunity to replenish your supply. Thor Heyerdahl had some great stories regarding charity and exchange with Russian vessels in a few of his books.
Civilization is a process that should be enjoyed if you can find a way. Lights on or off, just ask them to move out of the way! Luckily I was loosely supervised in past life, and accused of being too political. Go over your lights and flags and keep a book handy. Crew on those boats are probably all old school and not smoking or vaping anything that is juiced up.
Crusty Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 14:11   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Joker View Post
I prefer dating the Russian gals from their embassy rather than the ones working on any of their vessels... so far. However, if you run out of booze give them an opportunity to replenish your supply. Thor Heyerdahl had some great stories regarding charity and exchange with Russian vessels in a few of his books.
Civilization is a process that should be enjoyed if you can find a way. Lights on or off, just ask them to move out of the way! Luckily I was loosely supervised in past life, and accused of being too political. Go over your lights and flags and keep a book handy. Crew on those boats are probably all old school and not smoking or vaping anything that is juiced up.
The women in their flag offices are probably like ours, rank has it privilege's..
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 14:12   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I thought the Scorpion was found, the wreck surveyed etc. I also thought the probable cause of the sinking was a hot torpedo, specifically the battery cooking off, many weapons batteries are inert with the electrolyte kept separate and they are activated upon launch, the battery in this specific torpedo the electrolyte was we-rested from the battery by a frangible foil and the G force of it being launched would force the electrolyte through the foil and activate the torpedo.
Apparently the Scorpion was know to get into a bad vibration for unknown reasons and later analysis is pretty sure this was enough to activate the torpedo.
I guess it was the Sosus line, but somehow it was determined the boat did a quick 180 just before the accident, this was I believe a maneuver that would deactivate the warhead of a hot torpedo, also the torpedo bay hatches were open in the wreck and the torpedo room wasn’t cursed like the the boat, indicating they were opened most likely blown open prior to the boat reaching crush depth.

So unless that’s all false, it’s pretty certain that those sailors were killed by their own defective weapon.
That torpedo was known to be full of failures. Mark 14? Not sure.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 14:15   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Russian spy ship right in my next rumb lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The women in their flag offices are probably like ours, rank has it privilege's..
I took two AH-64’s to Dax France In 94 I think it was. That is their helicopter training school, a lot of NATO aircraft from several countries were there for an air show. A really cute I think enlisted girl was assigned to show me around. At least I think she was assigned.
I asked one of the French pilots about her and they said, and you can’t make this up.
“Oh her, she’s the Officers pillow.”
I didn’t ask for elaboration.
Old 28-12-2019, 14:20   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I thought the Scorpion was found, the wreck surveyed etc. I also thought the probable cause of the sinking was a hot torpedo, specifically the battery cooking off, many weapons batteries are inert with the electrolyte kept separate and they are activated upon launch, the battery in this specific torpedo the electrolyte was we-rested from the battery by a frangible foil and the G force of it being launched would force the electrolyte through the foil and activate the torpedo.
Apparently the Scorpion was know to get into a bad vibration for unknown reasons and later analysis is pretty sure this was enough to activate the torpedo.
I guess it was the Sosus line, but somehow it was determined the boat did a quick 180 just before the accident, this was I believe a maneuver that would deactivate the warhead of a hot torpedo, also the torpedo bay hatches were open in the wreck and the torpedo room wasn’t cursed like the the boat, indicating they were opened most likely blown open prior to the boat reaching crush depth.

So unless that’s all false, it’s pretty certain that those sailors were killed by their own defective weapon.
That torpedo was known to be full of failures. Mark 14? Not sure.
Didn't we also lose the Thrasher? I doubt we never know the truth.
Old 28-12-2019, 17:13   #39

Boat: CSY33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Didn't we also lose the Thrasher? I doubt we never know the truth.

Thresher

We have a pretty good idea what happened there. After that loss the SubSafe program was initiated which, much like the changes by NASA after Apollo One, radically revised construction standards and testing.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 18:05   #40

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Here's a link to a recap of the Scorpion sinking, https://www.historynet.com/the-uss-s...ied-at-sea.htm

At the end the Soviet sinking theory is discussed and will lead u to the conclusion that she was sunk by them.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 18:08   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
Thresher

We have a pretty good idea what happened there. After that loss the SubSafe program was initiated which, much like the changes by NASA after Apollo One, radically revised construction standards and testing.

Pretty sure when Scorpion was overhauled, the sub safe program took too long, so it was skipped, late 60’s Cold War was so hot many short cuts were taken, and lives lost too.
God can you imagine for instance your job was to sit in a hole in the ground to launch missiles to basically destroy the whole of humanity?
Or to creep around silently in a metal tube underwater to essentially do the same.
Old 28-12-2019, 18:20   #42

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Pretty sure when Scorpion was overhauled, the sub safe program took too long, so it was skipped, late 60’s Cold War was so hot many short cuts were taken, and lives lost too.

Yup you're right on it there.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 18:21   #43

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Joker View Post

I hope you asked them to say " Moose and Squirrel "
Old 29-12-2019, 10:12   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post

Yup you're right on it there.
Back then, they would cut a hole in the pressure vessel to put a copying machine aboard. Go figure.
Old 30-12-2019, 08:42   #45

Boat: GibSea 472

Anyway, in case of trouble with the spy vessel, just communicate with the president at the White House. It's nice to have connections: a simple call from POTUS to his friend at the Kremlin will certainly solve the issue. Unless in mean time, Potus is inpeached by the vilains at the Senate....
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, rum, Russia